CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permits

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permits

Post by akuser47 »

I will be renewing mine soon this comin year.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by OnTarget »

Missouri CCW here for about 3 years, have to renew in January. In my opinion concealed means concealed, so I carry pretty much every where that doesn't have metal detectors or pat downs. Some people will disagree with that, but if you are doing it right nobody should know at all.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

OnTarget wrote:Missouri CCW here for about 3 years, have to renew in January. In my opinion concealed means concealed, so I carry pretty much every where that doesn't have metal detectors or pat downs. Some people will disagree with that, but if you are doing it right nobody should know at all.
By some you could be referring to LEOs. :shock:
If you carry in a state or federal prohibited carry zone like a post office & get caught you could be looking at a serious misdemeanor or a felony & guess what no more CCW permit or firearms cause you're now a "prohibited person" on NCIC & NICS. :o
Is it worth it? :?:
That's why I don't bother carrying........I'd wear the holster & gun out taking it on & off a dozen or more times during a typical busy day.
I don't have a criminal record in Canada or the United States or anywhere else and I don't see why I can't carry in post offices and federal buildings, university campuses or in restaurants that serve booze.
Why do I as the proverbial "squeaky clean" citizen all of a sudden become a hazard when I walk onto a university campus or into a liquor licensed restaurant?
Either you're a trustworthy person or you're not.
But the law and common sense are at times miles apart so I leave the gun at home.
The Right to Carry (a bunch of BS) is a myth............in reality to obey the carry laws (local, state & federal) to the letter you'd be holstering & unholstering (breaking concealment) a dozen times a day and are definitely going to get noticed so I don't bother.
I got the permits for ID (proves I'm one of the good guys) & cause I like to carry my handgun under my jacket to protect it from the elements & some ambitious LEO might misconstrue my intentions........hence the permit.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hear what you are saying and even though there are a number of places that you can't carry by law, I comply. I live in a part of the country that is gun friendly (some would call us "crazy") and businesses that restrict do not stay in business. I can only think of one business that has tried it in the last decade and it was out of business in the first year. It is not so much that the business owner has made a decision, that is his choice, but given the choice of business A or B with one allowing carry, it becomes very simple.

In rural South Texas (don't know about our big cities anymore) it boils down real simple, those carrying are law abiding citizens that are smart and the members of the cartels/gangs. Those not carrying are the law abiding felons and citizens that are pretty dumb (a very small percentage). I assume everyone I encounter off the ranch, male or female, is carrying or a law abiding felon. It really does deliver a certain peace and pardon with with the simple misgivings between each other.
Michael
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by OnTarget »

If I am carrying my gun in a "place" I am not supposed to and it saves my life, that is worth being on anybodys gun ban list forever in my opinion. Again concealed carry is just that, do it correctly and no worries. Trust me the postal police are not going to suddenly show up and pat you down. As a police officer once told me, carry as often as you possibly can, it is your right! Plus in Missouri, aside from federal buildings (how the post office is a federal building I will never know) and courthouses, if you are caught all they can do is ask you to leave and you comply end of story. If you don't comply then you get a trespassing charge and a lot of hassle. Just how I roll, everyone rolls a little different. Pricedo, I agree the right to carry is BS to certain people, but that is exactly why I do it. My grandfather didn't fight in WWII just for the hell of it.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

pricedo wrote:People in full compliance with the federal law that allows you to transport a handgun through a state you are not allowed to carry it in if it is unload & locked up are arrested all the time in NJ & NY.
Even though they have committed no crime they are dragged through the state legal system at the cost of many thousands of dollars in legal fees.
I'm sure some of you must have heard the horror stories.
This is not done through error or mistake but purposely & vindictively. I don't expect the anti-gun harassment by these states to cease just because HR 822 passes.
If they ignore one federal law they'll ignore another.
It's no coincidence I've never been seen in either of those states, nor Kalifornia. I only enter The People's Republik Of Illinois because I was born there and most of my relatives live there. And.....Lehr's Meat Market makes the best smoked summer sausage in the world.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I go to NYS a lot.
In fact I am a member of a shooting club in New York State.
New York State (NYS) doesn't recognize the carry permits of other states (and that won't change even if HR 822 passes) and a NYS Pistol Permit is a requirement for handgun possession in the state & a non NYS-resident has to be pretty well connected to get a NYS carry permit.
If you are on Bloomberg's exclusive dinner party guest list you won't have a problem getting a NYS carry permit or a NYC carry permit for that matter.............plebes like you & me can forget about it.
When I am in New York I leave my handguns at home........a 10 year stint on Rikers Island probably wouldn't do much for my tan.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
larryp

Post by larryp »

I have a Montana permit which allows for the carry of a handgun or knife concealed. Usually I carry a S&W J frame .357 in a pocket holster or if the weather allows for a large coat that I'm not going to be taking off I'll sometimes carry my Colt SAA .44 in a shoulder holster.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

What kind of shoulder holster do you use for the 44? I've looked at and tried on a few but to me they all felt like I was wearing a single strap bra. The only one that seemed to be nearly comfortable enough was a rough out leather one with a shoulder strap made of material like elastic suspenders. Can't remember who makes it. Maybe DeSantis. Only problem they don't make one with a pouch the right size for my Kahr CW9. They were all too large or too small.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
larryp

Post by larryp »

Rooster59 wrote:What kind of shoulder holster do you use for the 44? I've looked at and tried on a few but to me they all felt like I was wearing a single strap bra. The only one that seemed to be nearly comfortable enough was a rough out leather one with a shoulder strap made of material like elastic suspenders. Can't remember who makes it. Maybe DeSantis. Only problem they don't make one with a pouch the right size for my Kahr CW9. They were all too large or too small.
I use this one from Old West Reproductions. They're hand made to order. While it's not the most modern holster I like it though you need a loose fitting coat for it.
http://www.oldwestreproductions.com/pro ... .cfm?id=47