CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permits

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permits

Post by pricedo »

My sister and my niece who are incorrigible antis (their views and I respect that) will not have a firearm of any kind around the house.
Being concerned about their safety I have developed a "course" of sorts based on my experience as a collapsible baton instructor on how to defend yourself with common everyday household objects which is largely focused on the baseball bat but anything with a handle like a broom, rake or rolling pin will do.
All things being equal I can deliver more blunt trauma kinetic energy on target with a full sized wooden baseball bat than a regulation baton.
My niece weighs about 120 pounds after getting caught in a rain shower but with the stuff I taught her she'd put a 200 pound man flat on the ground in a second or two with a common baseball bat.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I have a CCW in Missouri. Most states offer reciprocity if they too allow CCW. It is pretty easy to check before you travel. There are several good websites that can give current regs. The toughest part is checking into some oddities that a few states have. Can't remember them but they usually follow along the lines of no reciprocity if their states require demonstrating proficiency at a range and your issuing state didn't. A little time studying the subject will enlighten you quite a bit.

Most of the issues people encounter are like what a BATFE agent told me several years ago. It's not that you were/are transporting a firearm. It's a matter of what you were doing to get stopped/questioned/searched when you were transporting/carrying that firearm. That applies if you are driving, walking, or sitting.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

No permits required here in the free state of Alaska! Just don't dare cross the border with the 45 Colt under your jacket :o

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Puddle-jumper
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Puddle-jumper »

I have a CCDW permit, Kentucky, but don't carry often. I wanted it mostly because I have a small 22 revovler
that I like to stick in my pocket when I am going about my business on my property and i just might jump
in a vehicle and go somewhere and having the permit I can leave it in my pocket if I choose to.
Paid $75.00 for the class and then another $60.00 to the Sheriff's office after approval. About 3 months
wait for the permit. A 6 hour class and then shoot 20 rounds with pistol of choice at a sillouette at 21 feet.

________________-
Charles
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:No permits required here in the free state of Alaska! Just don't dare cross the border with the 45 Colt under your jacket :o

And become a guest of "Her Majesty" for a very, very long time.
If you want guaranteed free room and board for the next 10 years or so that would be a sure fired way of arranging that.
You might not like some of the company at the dinner table in a Canadian penitentiary and the social life sucks.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Rooster59 wrote:I have a CCW in Missouri. Most states offer reciprocity if they too allow CCW. It is pretty easy to check before you travel. There are several good websites that can give current regs. The toughest part is checking into some oddities that a few states have. Can't remember them but they usually follow along the lines of no reciprocity if their states require demonstrating proficiency at a range and your issuing state didn't. A little time studying the subject will enlighten you quite a bit.

Most of the issues people encounter are like what a BATFE agent told me several years ago. It's not that you were/are transporting a firearm. It's a matter of what you were doing to get stopped/questioned/searched when you were transporting/carrying that firearm. That applies if you are driving, walking, or sitting.

Jeff
HR 822, the federal CCW reciprocity bill if it ever passes should level the playing field quite a bit.
But don't expect anti-gun states like NJ & NY to comply with the federal law cause they don't now & won't in the future.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Puddle-jumper wrote:I have a CCDW permit, Kentucky, but don't carry often. I wanted it mostly because I have a small 22 revovler
that I like to stick in my pocket when I am going about my business on my property and i just might jump
in a vehicle and go somewhere and having the permit I can leave it in my pocket if I choose to.
Paid $75.00 for the class and then another $60.00 to the Sheriff's office after approval. About 3 months
wait for the permit. A 6 hour class and then shoot 20 rounds with pistol of choice at a sillouette at 21 feet.

________________-
Charles
I have valid Maine & New Hampshire permits cause that's where I spend most of my time. Used to have Utah & Pennsylvania and let them slide.
HR 822 should make CCW permits like drivers licenses where one states license is good in all "shall issue" right to carry states.
Don't expect compliance from anti "may issue" states like NJ & NY.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
________________-
Charles
I have valid Maine & New Hampshire permits cause that's where I spend most of my time. Used to have Utah & Pennsylvania and let them slide.
HR 822 should make CCW permits like drivers licenses where one states license is good in all "shall issue" right to carry states.
Don't expect compliance from anti "may issue" states like NJ & NY.[/quote]

That will pretty much suck if they manage that in Congress.. Might be enough for the old Independence for Alaska drum to be trotted out here again like it was in the 80's after Carters big federal parkland grab.

No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

People in full compliance with the federal law that allows you to transport a handgun through a state you are not allowed to carry it in if it is unload & locked up are arrested all the time in NJ & NY.
Even though they have committed no crime they are dragged through the state legal system at the cost of many thousands of dollars in legal fees.
I'm sure some of you must have heard the horror stories.
This is not done through error or mistake but purposely & vindictively. I don't expect the anti-gun harassment by these states to cease just because HR 822 passes.
If they ignore one federal law they'll ignore another.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

Utah (got it when I lived there) and Texas (Where I live now)