Huge Temperature Change

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Huge Temperature Change

Post by Ranch Dog »

Might be some type of record for the ranch, I don't remember a swing this big. At 3 pm yesterday, it was 87°. fifteen hours later, at 6 this morning, it was 31°. I know there are a lot of colder temperatures but a 56° change inside a day is larger than I've seen.

I was on the roof of my house and barn yesterday picking up pecans before the wind got to them. It felt like it was summertime.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Re: Huge Temperature Change

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm just a long half day drive north of you and we went from 67 to 12.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'm just a long half day drive north of you and we went from 67 to 12.
Should be about 25° tonight and then start back up. I want to finish up my deer hunting and I don't do twenties!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Just build a snow pig/snow deer to use as a hog/deer decoy :lol: it would be funny if they would be curious and go to one lol.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

It would appear that winter has arrived in Texas.....no sign of "The White Death" .... but it is a bit chilly. :roll:
Yesterday I was cleaning leaves outta the pool and it was 72 in the back yard....at 0600 this morning I had 14. That's a 58 degree drop in about 18 hours. 8-)
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

TinMan wrote:58 degree drop in about 18 hours. 8-)
That seems to be the norm with this storm across Texas. I was out securing things before dark yesterday and ended up with my jacket pockets full of lizards. They were all over the place, caught out in the open. I put them on all the potted plants that I moved to the garage. They owe me a lot of bug killing!

There is a book about the McNeely Rangers as told by George Durham, one of youngest and last of the original Texas Rangers who died about the time I was born. He writes about experiencing one of these storms out on the coastal plains which would be east of the rest stop on US77 at Sarita. The Company of Rangers was trying to intercept a very large band of cattle thieves moving south that had raped and pillaged the coast. They got caught out and held up in an oak mott. Ended up stating four days on the wait with no food and only water plus they were ill equipped without any jackets. A bit of a different time as most did not own a change of clothes. Some wonder why they killed everyone of the thieves when they caught up with them a week later.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings and Merry Christmas everyone.
I am sorry to report our weather remains the same .. day after day... 55 at night and 72-75 during the all sunny days here at 8000 in southern Peru. Windows open.. birds are singing and not expecting anything like a white Christmas.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That actually sounds pleasant Mike!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

It might be 60 degrees here on Christmas day crazy right now ice is every where from the freezing rain last Saturday. Interesting unpredictable weather these days.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

There's a book about the great buffalo herds in the middle to late 1800's that describes similar weather experienced by hunters caught out in the open. Some hunters survived by seeking shelter inside the still warm carcass of a buffalo.

The book says that sometimes it got so cold that the carcass would freeze to the point that the hunter could not get out of the buffalo for a couple of days. One cowboy described being inside a frozen buffalo as wolves chewed on the carcass.

As an aside, buffalo steak is delicious.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.