Crossbows

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
GSB4243

Crossbows

Post by GSB4243 »

Any of you guys out there have any opinions on crossbows? In Ohio (and I think most states), bow season for deer is a lot longer than gun season.
Anyway, I have my eye on a TenPoint Shadow Ultralite with the ACUdraw system. Any comments from the gallery?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Crossbows

Post by akuser47 »

I like the ten point brand as well but never got one yet. I always spend my money somewhere else. Keep us posted if you get one.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Bow season here in ILLinois is over 3 months and unlimited doe harvest. Just keep buying more tags thus paying the tax on the game.
I have used a recurve all my life. Still have good shoulders so the pull is no issue. But one day that may change as the years move on. When that happens I will most likely try a cross bow as sitting in trees and quietly zipping deer and groundhogs is a lot of good woods time.
There are so many brands available you have to go to one of those big hunt shops and handle some to get an idea what works for you. Some are heavy !
Read as much on the internet as you can. Many "stories" about thumping deer at 100 yards are not all as good as it sounds. Cross bow arrows are generally half the mass of the arrows a compound bow or recurve bow. Arrows depend on that mass /weight to get penetration on critters. After 22 yards my 55 pound recurve is about played out as far as getting a shaft deep into a 250 pound doe. Compound bows flinging shafts faster can reach out some more. But you still need lethal penetration.
Many cross bows will fling a shaft accurate out to 100 yards. But will that "bolt" still have the energy left at 100 yards to penetrate deep enough to not just kill a deer but to do so the shooter can find it? I can hit a 4 inch circle at 40 yards with my recurve. But the arrow lacks the energy to penetrate deep enough to produce the internal damage I desire.
So do some home work. The cross bow will put down large ILLinois deer. But you have to figure out the limitations of that bow / arrow combination.
Then you need to know if you will need a cocking crank or device to reload. Some cross bows use a rope device that uses your shoulders and back to recock. Some are simple grab the string and pull. But the "longer range" models use a cranking system. So do your research.
Mike in ILLinois
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

Why is it that all the really fun stuff is banned in Australia? I can't buy a crossbow, but I can get one of those pcp air guns that fires arrows. Doesn't make sense to me.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

Kansas bow season is close to what Missionary said for Illinois, but not as many tags. I shoot a longbow which is 47 lbs at 30" draw, long arms. The long draw helps on what is called the power stroke, more stored energy as arrow stays longer on string. That is what I have been told..I agree with Missionary on his statements about penetration and energy. When I am no longer able to shoot my longbow, not sure what I will do, crossbow or firearm for deer. I am more into simplicity and crossbows are kind of hi tech for me. That is why I quit compound bows and went traditional, I also have recurves. I will probably lean towards my Rossi 92 , but that is me.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea, I don't understand why it would be banned. Do you know the reason? +corn
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

In most of Australia crossbows were classified as a "controlled" weapon. This is the category that has things such as spear guns, knives, etc. things that can be possessed and used for a legitimate reason. Have a knife in your pocket on a worksite to open boxes, all good. Go down to the shops with it still in your pocket, illegal.
Crossbows are now in the "prohibited" weapon list. This means they are not legal unless very specific criteria are met and strict approvals are given.
An example of similar laws would be hand gun calibers. Here the maximum calibre generally allowed is .38
If however you shoot handgun metallic silhouette or single action you can apply for an exemption and get up to a .45
A few states here have laws where you can get a crossbow but only if you are a member of an archery club that has registered crossbow events and you have to have been a member before a certain date and not had your membership lapse after that time.
But I can walk into a shop, buy a high power compound bow and use it in my backyard or local park legally.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Wow I hope it gets better that is crazy.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

As we know here in the U.S. crazy tends to get worse and tends to expand not contract.
Insanity is a communicable disease, especially when it's nanny state politics.