MRE's

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

MRE's

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I grabbed an MRE for lunch yesterday, wanted to see how these tasted. I ate half of it, phone rang, Had to go so I gave my dog the other half,,,,Dog threw up. I did not. I think I have eaten worse food, just cant remember when.
I decided I like the Mountain House Freeze Dried stuff better.

Yall ever eat one?
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: MRE's

Post by Archer »

As I understand it most MREs are a heck of a lot of calories designed to keep one going even if there's not a lot of sleep and a whole lot of stress. Most of the guys I know who have eaten them indicate that finishing them is not exactly a good idea.

One of my buds claimed one of his buds used them as a base to cook a meal for his girlfriend and turned it into something edible but WAY rich in calories. Poor girl was out of sorts for days afterward not realizing she was taking in several thousand calories at once.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

The ones I ate yesterday and today were not high calerie, just high sodium not much to eat..
The breakfast one I got is high in calery and looks like it would feed my wife and me.
I have eaten Mountain House and like them better.
Never tried Wise.
I got into this stuff as I do spend days on the road,, sometimes in remote area.
A few years ago right after a presidential election, a whole town was in depression, couldnt find food, so I had MRE. Chilli Mac & Cheese, not bad.
Last edited by Bibletotingunslinger on 07 Sep 2016 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I know people that like them.

Can't wait for Micheal to read this.

I missed all need to serve during wartime by luck of birth year and my Dad didn't bring his service home after 'Nam so I've only tried a few here and there.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

C-rations when I was in. Some good, some not, never had occasion to try MREs.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My time was spent cracking MCI cans (Meal, Combat, Individual) which everyone still called C-rations (but they were not). Still have the can opener that hung around my neck for three years. Also briefly ate some LRPs which were the forerunner of the MREs. Honestly, I'd rather have the canned stuff. I always thought the moisture in the can was just as valuable as the solid and why waste drinking water or carry more to get a dried brick to inflate. I saw many a guy slurping every last drop of moisture out of those cans.

My kids gave me a couple of boxes of MREs, nasty stuff. If you are "regular" and don't want to be, like on a three day sit, they are the thing to eat and I suspect that was part of the design. As a intercity survival food, it would probably work but as a country boy living as such I'd rather make a big pot of skunk & lizard soup! At least my dog would be able to eat and not throw up!

Speaking of dogs and throwing up, it has to be bad food for a dog not to hang on to it, here is a story of how I almost killed my dog. I spent the summer of 1995 building a six mile fence on a ranch I bought along with a fellow from Mexico (you get the picture). I had bought a ranch and the fences were long gone so we cut the right of way on the survey line and built the fence. Did it without large equipment, nothing bigger than a chain saw. I did it as an education to learn conversational Spanish and learn what I could of survival in the brush country of South Texas from someone who had crossed the big river more than he could remember. It was one of the greatest summers I've experienced.

Anyway, we both had a dog with us for everyday. The dog provides a certain level of protection against "stuff" and gives you some(one) to talk to during the heat of the day. Early on I had found a windmill blade buried in the sand that we fashioned into a cooking surface that we would stick in a hot bed of mesquite coals at lunchtime. We also brought left overs from the previous night's dinner and along with tortillas heated them on the blade for our lunch. The dogs ate what we ate. One day we got to fooling around with a pretty big lunch and decide to see just how many tacos our dogs could eat. His dog ate 10 and mine ate 12. I thought we had killed both of them but they wouldn't "give it up". They laid panting in the sand for several hours in the plus 100º. The next day they were fine.

After this event, when we had company at the house my daughter use to make fun of me at dinner time. She would ask our guest if they knew what "the difference is between Sheila (my dog) and Dad? The dog knows when to stop eating!"
Michael
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Skunk & Lizard Soup vs MRE,,,,,, :?: :roll: decisions,,,,,,
I promise, I will not buy another MRE. They sell em in grocery stores here,,,ya know,,,,
And the lizards in this country, are not big enough to eat a grass hopper.
+corn
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I used to eat them in scouts all the time Boy scouts it was an option to not have to get stuck scrubbing pots and such after eating. So I enjoyed mine back then.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Wife had never the "privilege" of C rats or plastic envelo0pe food so we popped open a MRE we have carried about for 5 years. Always open outside because "if" you ever get one that has "died" in the bag your indoors will have a new smell the rest of the family will not appreciate...
But a bag will take care of two people a day. I would eat all the fresh fruit I could find also. You have to remember they were designed with a 3 day patrol mentality.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

Still have a case of MRE's left over from Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

The National Guard had stations around the city, with cars lined up for miles waiting their turn.
You pulled up next to an 18 wheeler, and a Guardsman would load a case (or two) into each car.

It was much appreciated.