Your Rossi experience on other forums.

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
muleman

Your Rossi experience on other forums.

Post by muleman »

I just want to say thank you to Ranch Dog for getting this forum going. I have worked on the Rossi's for a while, and while there are some manufacturing processes that could probably be improved. I still thing the Rossi's are a good value in today's gun world. I have been on other sites where Rossi conversations would come up and for the most part it would wind up a Rossi bashing. I just want to encourage anyone who has not tried one yet to take a good look at one. There are some very simple fixes (as with a lot of guns) to many of the common problems most people seem to have. I work on Winchesters, Marlins and Rossi's and I can honestly say, I like the Rossi's just as much as the others. I actually like my Rossi's for some things better. I just do not believe you can show me a better light Carbine in a potent cartridge,like the .480 Ruger or .454 casull than the Rossi '92. I look forward to having some honest, open discussions here on RR about these handy little rifles, without all the preconceived notions and sometimes uneducated opinions found elsewhere. Thanks , Jamie.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Your Rossi experience on other forums.

Post by Ranch Dog »

muleman wrote:I just want to say thank you to Ranch Dog for getting this forum going....
You're welcome! You comments hit the nail on the head. This is exactly why I started this forum!
Michael
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

I'll say that I have 357 and 44 magnum leverguns from Marlin, Browning and Rossi. The Marlins both wear scopes, and the rion sights on the Browning 92s .. well I don't like them at all. My Rossi trappers both have the square sights that some dislike. Since I'm a revolver shooter, I love these square patridge type sights.

My little 16 inch Rossi's are the most accurate of the bunch. I shoot better groups with them, a 357 and a 44, than I do with my scoped Marlins at the same range. My eyes aren't good enough to see the irons very well at 100, so the scoped guns have the edge there. I dearly love my Browning 92's, but they just will not shoot with the Rossi's at any range.

I'm about to add a Browning 86 SRC in 45-70 to my accumulation, and I sure wish Rossi would offer their 45-70 in a stainless straight grip version. Make it an octagon barrel and I'll take two! <G>
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I am glad to have found this site thanks to taurusarmed.net otherwise I may have never found it. Thanks to Ranch Dog who has set this up great group so far and I hope it grows into a large forum and continues to teach anyone and help anyone needing it. Also gives us all a place to shoot the breeze about our lovely toys. Thanks again
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

There is only ONE Rossi QC Insopector......YOU !

Post by pricedo »

muleman wrote: I just want to encourage anyone who has not tried one yet to take a good look at one. Thanks , Jamie.
I bought and sold Rossis long before there was a Rossi dedicated forum or long before there was any forum or even an internet to host one and owning a Rossi was considered by some Winchester purists as "slummin".
The QC control issues that existed in 1985 are for the most part still with us in 2012.........what QC?......in short, there is none.
Everything in life is a trade off.
You can get a new Japchester, Chiappa, Pedersoli, or Turnbull that is perfect out of the box every time.
Or you can pay 1/4 the money and get a Rossi and take yer chances.
But there are things YOU can do to greatly reduce the chances of getting stuck with a lemon.
Quality & workmanship vary widely from gun to gun to gun in the same Rossi model and even from the same manufacturing run.
Rossi guns don't gather much dust from the parts bin through the assembly line, into the boxes and then to the shipping warehouse.
A Monday morning or Friday afternoon gun (aka "Lemons") that comes off the assembly line remains so till you pull it out of the box or off the rack.
To sum it up.........quality is variable.
Muleman summed the key to Rossi buying success when he said, "take a good look at one".........or 2 or 3 or 4. ;)
Don't buy Rossis by mail order.........you might get stuck with a substandard gun that they couldn't sell off the rack. :shock:
Take a flashlight & cleaning rod to the store and despite the askance looks check the Rossi on the rack that you want to buy. I have at times checked a dozen guns out before I decided to buy the "pick of the litter".
Remember: There is only ONE Rossi QC Inspector........YOU !
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Warhawk wrote:I'll say that I have 357 and 44 magnum leverguns from Marlin, Browning and Rossi. The Marlins both wear scopes, and the rion sights on the Browning 92s .. well I don't like them at all. My Rossi trappers both have the square sights that some dislike. Since I'm a revolver shooter, I love these square patridge type sights.

My little 16 inch Rossi's are the most accurate of the bunch. I shoot better groups with them, a 357 and a 44, than I do with my scoped Marlins at the same range. My eyes aren't good enough to see the irons very well at 100, so the scoped guns have the edge there. I dearly love my Browning 92's, but they just will not shoot with the Rossi's at any range.

I'm about to add a Browning 86 SRC in 45-70 to my accumulation, and I sure wish Rossi would offer their 45-70 in a stainless straight grip version. Make it an octagon barrel and I'll take two! <G>
You are certainly right about Rossi accuracy !
I have been in the Rossi Rustling business for years and when you do your due diligence at the store and pick a good one you've got a fantastic (I don't use that word lightly) gun on your hands.
My Rossi stable consists of 5 hand picked Rossis......3 x 92s (.357M, .44M, .454C).....all without the silly safety, a much coveted Rossi SxS StageCoach gun in 12 gauge......a superb Rio Grande in .30-30.
These guns are the "picks of the litter" off various store racks and will out shoot any Winny thoroughbreds and other breeds of clones I've encountered at several ranges.
It's hard to dispute more holes in the "10-ring".
Love my Rossis. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
kliff
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kliff »

I'm realtively new to the gun forums, and lever guns/ cast boolits in particular( though guns/reloading have been a part of my life for 40+ yrs). My main hangouts were AR15 oriented. I haven't seen or been the recipiant of any Rossi hatred.
But regardless of the fact that I've never been offended, I'm still glad to see a "dedicated" site to find dedicated info and answers. It just always makes things easier. I've seen a few familiar names here already, and invited a mere mortal or so myself to come join in the fun.

As for "hand picked," I wish I'd been able to, but that just wasn't in the cards for me, and the few I saw at gun shows were in sad shape, cosmeticly, and the dealer wouldn't budge of MSRP, so that killed those sales. The 3 I bought from Davidsons, though, seem fine. There is NOTHING I could have seen, that would have turned me off. The RG is a "one finger" cycle, the 92 requires a little more effort than that, but not objectionable, and the ranch hand, falls in between them both. With the help of Steve's CD, I'll tune up the 92, and expect a "one finger" cycle from it as well.... the RH....probably a good clean and lube is all it'll need.

But back on topic...I've never been "diss'ed" for owning a Rossi, but will certainly feel more comfy in a Rossi Community, than out in the hostile boonies. So for better or worse, count me in.
kliff
AR15, 5.56mm home made
'71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
336 Marlin 30/30
Henry Big Boy 45LC
Rossi M92SS 45LC
Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
Ruger Black Hawk 45LC (x2)
Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
Taurus Tracker 357
Colt Gov't Mod
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The Rossis are a great value for the money.
I own 4 Rossi rifles and have no plans on parting with any of them.
With quality in the competitor brand Marlin taking a sharp dip I think more levergunners will be looking at Rossis in the future.
The other old rival Winchester has priced their products into the specialty category...........about 2-3X the price of a New Haven Winchester.
Rossi has an opportunity knocking at its door to become the #1 top levergun supplier to the world.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

I am glad to see this site too - especially with what seems to be such an objective nature.

There are a few forums, where the group is collectively very good about not jumping to the conclusion that everyone else is a blank slate, but I get the sense that not a lot of people know much about how the 92 works because the recommendation to a problem is almost universally "get the CD," but I have to tell you guys, I like to figure things out and share knowledge.

Besides, my 92 doesn't even have a USB port, let alone a CD drive. ;)
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Jeff H wrote:I am glad to see this site too - especially with what seems to be such an objective nature.

There are a few forums, where the group is collectively very good about not jumping to the conclusion that everyone else is a blank slate, but I get the sense that not a lot of people know much about how the 92 works because the recommendation to a problem is almost universally "get the CD," but I have to tell you guys, I like to figure things out and share knowledge.

Besides, my 92 doesn't even have a USB port, let alone a CD drive. ;)
I can't speak for "a lot of people". I can only speak to the reasons that I bought Steves DVD kit:

The DVD is not a textbook on Rossi 92 anatomy.
The DVD shows an expert gunsmith Steve Young actually working on a Rossi 92 and explaining each step along the way in plain, simple language that a 6 year old could understand...........that's what makes the DVD so valuable.
Along with the technical information and expert instruction the DVD kit also contains parts used in tuning up a Rossi 92 (spring & stainless steel magazine follower)all sold at a very reasonable cost.
I didn't buy the DVD because I didn't have a clue about guns. I've shot, repaired and tuned up Rossi 92s & other leverguns before I even heard of Steve's Gunz & Steve Young but figured I could perhaps learn a little more watching an expert gunsmith work on the guns and I did. The DVD kit was worth every nickle I paid for it.
I have owned and worked with guns for 50 years and no matter how experienced or knowledgeable you are there is always more to learn. That's what makes the sport so interesting & exciting.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA