Your Rossi experience on other forums.

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Your Rossi experience on other forums.

Post by Jeff H »

pricedo wrote:......I didn't buy the DVD because I didn't have a clue about guns..........
I apologize of have offended you. My comment about people assuming that no one else knows anything states that I would never presume anyone here doesn't have a clue. I was teasing about the popularity of the DVD - I think it's a great idea. The "wink" smiley at the end of the last sentence was meant to indicate that as well as the obvioius absurdity of the last sentence.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Jeff H wrote:
pricedo wrote:......I didn't buy the DVD because I didn't have a clue about guns..........
I apologize of have offended you. My comment about people assuming that no one else knows anything states that I would never presume anyone here doesn't have a clue. I was teasing about the popularity of the DVD - I think it's a great idea. The "wink" smiley at the end of the last sentence was meant to indicate that as well as the obvioius absurdity of the last sentence.
No offense was ever taken.
I just took the opportunity to say that there was something in Steve's DVD kit for very experienced shooters as well as levergun neophytes.
For the 92 beginner the DVD kit is a darn good start to getting your Rossi 92s running like the proverbial Swiss watch.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

No one can dispute that Steve is well known as "The Man" when it comes to 92s. His video effort is commendable too, as he could keep it all to himself and insist that everyone who wants a slick 92 send it to him at considerably more cost. Kidding aside, I think it does limit the detailed conversations about the 92 and its function and I would personally be reluctant to openly discuss anything new I learned on it.

Now, I hope that I have not turned anyone's experience on this forum into anything less than enjoyable.

I am a little disappointed that my remark about not having a CD (DVD) drive on my 92 flopped. It gave me a chuckle when it came to mind but perhaps it was not as funny as it seemed to me. :oops:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jeff H wrote:Now, I hope that I have not turned anyone's experience on this forum into anything less than enjoyable.
No problem that I see and pricedo noted that no offense was taken. Some just like to roll their own and there is nothing wrong with that!
Jeff H wrote:I am a little disappointed that my remark about not having a CD (DVD) drive on my 92 flopped. It gave me a chuckle when it came to mind but perhaps it was not as funny as it seemed to me. :oops:
I thought it was hilarious!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Jeff H wrote:No one can dispute that Steve is well known as "The Man" when it comes to 92s. His video effort is commendable too, as he could keep it all to himself and insist that everyone who wants a slick 92 send it to him at considerably more cost. Kidding aside, I think it does limit the detailed conversations about the 92 and its function and I would personally be reluctant to openly discuss anything new I learned on it.

Now, I hope that I have not turned anyone's experience on this forum into anything less than enjoyable.

I am a little disappointed that my remark about not having a CD (DVD) drive on my 92 flopped. It gave me a chuckle when it came to mind but perhaps it was not as funny as it seemed to me. :oops:
I'm kinda wandering off topic but I thought I'd indulge your patience & throw in a couple more comments:
I think Steve Young has had a few health problems & I doubt he has the time to tune every Rossi 92 that needs tuning.
The DVD kit allows anyone with a modicum of mechanical aptitude (if you can tie your own shoe laces you can probably do the tune up) to get their Rossi 92s slicked up in this lifetime rather than sit on a lengthy waiting list.
Other gunsmiths who have a "stand out in the crowd" specialty like for example tuning up notoriously hard to tune up triggers aren't giving away trade secrets in DVD form as their specialties are their bead & butter & I certainly don't blame them for not doing so.........it's a tough, competitive world out there and an "edge" is an "edge" over the competition..........Steve is almost singular in that respect.

In regards to my Rossi experiences on other forums I have a hide as thick as a Rhino & take the negative comments about Rossi (a non American company) as a symptom of the deep sadness & disappointment all us oldtimers feel of having witnessed the icon manufacturers of the once proud American heritage profession of gun making circle the toilette bowl & disappear or relocate off shores. Marlin has been the latest casualty in this grim & continuing saga & I need not regurgitate the grim details.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:In regards to my Rossi experiences on other forums I have a hide as thick as a Rhino & take the negative comments about Rossi (a non American company) as a symptom of the deep sadness & disappointment all us oldtimers feel of having witnessed the icon manufacturers of the once proud American heritage profession of gun making circle the toilette bowl & disappear or relocate off shores. Marlin has been the latest casualty in this grim & continuing saga & I need not regurgitate the grim details.
That about sums in up as best as I've ever heard it summed up!
Michael
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by twobitokie »

buy american...................... when and if you can. and if what the yankees make is fit to beat a terriost with. I would far rather buy a genuwyne winchester. :lol: but find one that is affordable. I had a 44 mag winchester trapper and it broke the cartridge elevator. I now have a rossi mod 92 in 44 mag. I am now waiting to sell my jeep so that I can pay some bills and order an RG in 45-70. not a huge marlin fan but I can get an RG and for less that the price of Remlin of provern crappy quallity control and 1/2 the price of a chiappa I can get and RG, have it rebarreled for 24 ore 26 inch and new wood and sstill have a neat shooter.

My own sons tell me I dont really want and import, but fail to present me with a plausibal alternative.

I read of lot other forums knocking the rossi, even the Marlin owners forum writers are saying good dthing about Rossies

I love my 16" rossi 44 mag. and will be a rossi customer at leasst once more, mayhaps a couple.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Seems it is a very easy past time to live in the delusional world of bashing products that come from other countries. See it all the time on other sites I revolve about. But they seem to also like to bash any other label they do not personaly colect. I recon living here in Peru has awakened my thinking. Been around all sorts of brands down here and many are well made and endure harsh conditions. Been hauling my Rossi 5 shot 38 Special about for 10+ years and has not failed me. Have a set of Hip-Grips on it and it carries as well as any 5 shot brand I have up there in the US of A.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

My Rossi experience on other forums? Wow, I've been thinking this one over since I joined the forum and saw this topic because I think my answer is a little different. Maybe I take the question differently. What strikes me about what I've seen is not what people have to say about the Rossi brand in general, but what I see upon mention of a couple of specific guns they make.

That would be the Ranch Hand and Circuit Judge. They seem to bring out...maybe not the worst in people, but not the best either, with the comments they seem to feel the need to make.

I still remember the first time I saw a post about the Ranch Hand. Within the first five or six responses was three that left me shaking my head. Two were saying how stupid it was to spin cock a gun. I don't know why. The person putting the picture up and starting the post made no mention of spin cocking. Yet, they went into a rant about what they would do if someone showed up at the range with one and started spinning it. I guess those two people jumped to the conclusion that anyone buying the gun would do have to do that.

The one that really got to me was the one who said he didn't like it at all because it looked like something you'd use to hold up a liquor store, and that he had no use for any such gun.
That was just plain stupid.
We have struggled for a long time against people who want to take some guns away based on how scary they look to them, and he jumps right in with them. Over a manually operated, six-shot handgun.

I don't see as much mention of the Circuit Judge, and when I do, it's usually lumped in with the Judge, S&W Governor, etc. When any of these come up, people jump in to tell the world how stupid they think the buyers are. I see the same with the Ranch Hand.

If you don't like a certain gun, OK. I don't like every gun either. What I don't get is why people take the time out of their day to tell everyone they think they are no good, which often either directly or indirectly includes insulting the owner for buying such a thing.
There are a lot of guns I have no interest in. There are several I don't like at all. But I have never gone down the list of topics, saw one of them named, and said "Hey, I better take a look in case I can tell someone their gun is crap". Do they walk up to people at the range or gun shop and tell them they are idiots for buying the gun they are holding? Because it's the same thing. Actually, it's worse because it takes more effort to post it to a thread.

If asked specifically I can see it, but why go out of one's way to say it?

I guess my primary firearms interest is in defensive guns and shooting now. I have carried since I got a carry permit at 18, and always tried to stay in tune, but it became my focus by necessity after health issues forced me into becoming a stay-home dad to our kids. A crippled-up dad watching out for his two little girls has to take the subject serious. I go to classes, train, read, and practice all I can. Because of this, I'm not a fan of any of the .410 revolvers, which comes from remembering the rabbits and squirrels I shot with a .410 as a kid that I had to finish off (if they didn't escape). Thinking back on well-hit rabbits that rolled and ran off hardly stirs confidence in the same round stopping a hardened, methed-up molester from dragging your kid into their car.
But I bite my tongue when someone buys one for defense. It's their choice. They didn't ask me what I thought. But some can't resist telling the world anyway.

On the other side of it...
The buyers (and I include myself) usually seem to feel the need try and justify their purchase. They usually lead off with it. I readily admit I bought my Ranch Hand as a toy, but the desire to justify it still creeps in. I always have to point out that it shoots better than I ever dreamed, and it could be more useful than I thought. But I have heard some pretty long reaches in terms of justification. One guy was telling me how nice it would be to carry on an ATV...and I know he doesn't have an ATV.
We aren't helping ourselves by starting right off by giving wild reasons for buying it. That almost begs people to question it.

I don't see these things happening to such an extent with other guns. I know people have argued Winchester verses Marlin for over 125 years, .30-06 vs 8x57 vs .270 for nearly a century, and shotgun vs carbine vs handgun for home defense perhaps since colonial times. But with those, people don't seem to go out of their way to jump in. With the .410 revolvers and stubby leverguns, they can't resist. Go to any "mainstream gun forum", start a thread on either the .410 revolvers or Mare's Laigs and watch what happens. They come flooding in. Nobody wants to miss a chance. People who have 12 posts in nine years will come on to comment. And they can get pretty nasty about it.

Those guns really bring 'em out.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Barry in IN wrote:That would be the Ranch Hand and Circuit Judge. They seem to bring out...maybe not the worst in people, but not the best either, with the comments they seem to feel the need to make.
In that my deal on the Taurus Thunderbolt fell through Tuesday, I almost called my Rossi dealer today and told him I would take the Circuit Judge he has! :|

I do hear what you are saying. Speaking of sayings, I like the one... "to each their own." Much better that way.
Michael