Ocean-going style shipping containers...

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Ocean-going style shipping containers...

Post by TinMan »

I am closing on a new home next month. It sits on 3 acres so I will finally have room for a real live workshop........but that project will take time to plan/design/build. For "short term" storage I am looking at buying a couple of 20' metal shipping containers of the style that are seen stacked on ships. I can buy new or used at what I consider to be decent prices....but am leaning towards the new ones to limit any issues with door seals, hinges, locking lugs, etc. My plan is to use them as securable on-property storage for all my stuff until I can get the shop completed. When the shop is usable they will either continue as storage for seldom used equipment or be sold....(another reason I am favoring buying new units).
Do you see any issues with my plan? Anyone have any experience to share on the care and feeding of these critters? :?
p.s. Even tho they will be new....I might paint the roof(s) with bed-liner. +corn
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Ocean-going style shipping containers...

Post by akuser47 »

I think that's a swell idea also you can bury them later and make bunkers with them very popular option if you have high ground not saturated by low laying water. If not altered to much they hold value decently for resale as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
qikracer

Post by qikracer »

Make sure you keep them up off the ground to avoid rust problems and if you live in a hot area construct a flat roof about 8 inches above the top of the container to keep temps down inside
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Great idea. I would do as suggested above if you can get the holes dug and the containers buried descreetly enough.

Set them on cinder blocks.

We have one at work that's been there forever. Still works fine. We have a semi trailer too or we used to.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

akuser47 wrote:I think that's a swell idea also you can bury them later and make bunkers with them very popular option if you have high ground not saturated by low laying water.
A buried Bunker/Tornado Shelter is something I'd appreciate access to in Tornado Alley. Probably add to resale value.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

There are all kinds of end of days website that show very smart plans using the exact containers you are thinking about. There are companies in the usa that use these to build some of their bunkers I bet with some basic mods but still very feasible for you as a double duty structure if you plan it out right. I've seen 3 containers underground with reinforced concrete as the base foundation to them. If buried at right death stays same temp. year around very good to stash survive or just kick back isolated. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

We use these at work and turn them into portable substations and "E-Houses" (electrical control rooms). The ones we purchase are usually "single trip" containers. That means they were made in China, filled with goods and shipped to the states. They are in good condition and we don't have any issues with the doors, etc... Although we usually cut the doors off and weld in new frames with new "man-doors" and windows just to make them more user friendly.

TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

I may not hafta build a separate shop.........and I really like retaining the end doors.....

The build:

The results:
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

We've used them at the dog club before we got our pole barns up. The only caution other than what's been mentioned is make sure they are set dead level as even the 20 footers can twist and screw up the doors. Ours were leased and it took two tries to get one of 'em right.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
SAN14

Post by SAN14 »

I would second the recommendation for a raised, slanted roof. If you are in a place with any decent amount of rain, it will keep the rain water from pooling on top and eventually causing rust. I know that some of the local dealers near me offer all sorts of "custom" options like passage doors, windows, turbines and vents, roll-up doors, and the above mentioned slant roofs.