Shoes vs guns

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Shoes vs guns

Post by Moon Tree »

I've always suspected that my wife spend more on shoes in a year than I do on firearms. I've heard her talk about $225 tennis shoes/work out shoes from the Run/Walk store in Lexington that fit her feet to perfectly. She's had those shoes for a year and they've never left the bedroom(her workout area). Those shoes have never touch dirt. This week she lets slip that the 3 pairs of shoes that arrived in the mailbox were $400. I made the comment that she spend more on shoes a year than I do firearms. Now, Schuy has never questioned me when a new firearm miraculously appears in our house. But, I have learned not to make a big deal out the my new purchase. It just kind of blends into the everyday activities. Because the shoes didn't fit, Schuy is sending them back. But I expect the correct size to show up some time in July, after our Alaskan trip. I hope the black suede, high heeled, "hiking "boots do. They were pretty darn sexy.

Back to Shoes vs Guns:
Take a new pair of $100 shoes, walk around the house a bit to see how they feel and you can probably return them to get your money back. Step out in the yard and get a little dirt on them, there are worth ZERO.

Buy a firearm, shoot a 1000 rounds through it and you'll probably be able to sell it for at least 80% of your investment. Buy the "right" firearm and you could double your money in 3 to 5 years.

So, I'm saying 2 things: 1 Don't feel guilty spending money my on firearms, because your is wife probably spent more on shoes this years. Second, you're making an investment for your family's future in multiple ways. After all, have you ever seen a pair stiletto heels put venison in the freezer?
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
GasGuzzler

Re: Shoes vs guns

Post by GasGuzzler »

I stopped counting long ago.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

All very true!
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

True story.

No ____, there I was... (all stories should start with this) in the local gun shop sealing the deal on a S&W Model-13-3 in the FBI configuration (round butt, 3" un-shrouded heavy barrel) with a trigger that feels like the armorers at Quantico worked on it, and some carry wear but perfect mechanical condition and an obviously very low round count.

While I'm happily forking over the cash for this find that I had no idea existed 5 minutes earlier, a guy walks in and says "I need to sell this gun".

The gun shop owner asks "why?"

The guy replies "Because my wife says I have too many guns, and I have to sell one before I can get a better one".

The gun shop owner (a gentleman in his 70s who's been married for about 50 years and runs the gun shop as a family business where pretty much everyone is involved) says "Son...you don't need to get a better gun, you need get a better wife".
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I usually figure I can get most of my money out of a given purchase BUT I'm somewhat cheap and will consider a buy for a while before I make the purchase unless the deal is pretty darned good.

80%+ is what I'd expect on most of my buys IF I wasn't in a hurry and could sell them to another shooter/collector/ enthusiast. BUT IF I had to sell tomorrow and had to sell to a shop probably 40% of the Blue book is all I'd be able to get.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I agree - 50% is about the best you'll get selling to a shop. If it's something that will move fast you might get a little more.

You can theoretically get full market value through an on line auction site, but many FFLs won't accept a gun that isn't sent from an FFL, so you may end up having to pay a transfer fee on your end. 80% is a more reasonable expectation after you factor in fees. Shipping a handgun is also expensive unless you have a business account,so you'll usually be money ahead working through an FFL on your end as well.

Selling a firearm on consignment with a shop that lists on GB or GA is perhaps the sweet spot, but again they need to make a commission so 80% is about all you can expect to bring home after the sale.

----

That however assumes you are selling it shortly after you bought it. Sit on it a few years and a firearm you bought used in very good to excellent condition and the 80% of full market value you get on the sale will usually bring more than you paid for it, even after correcting for inflation.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Moon Tree wrote:I've always suspected that my wife spend more on shoes in a year than I do on firearms.
I guess that means you haven't noticed the matching handbags she needed for all those shoes. :lol:
Last edited by zippy on 16 May 2016 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I hate to say it but I love timberland pro work boots they have an msrp of 190 bucks but darnit I'm on my 3rd pair. I've walked a lot of miles threw the first 2 pair and they're warranty is un beatable. Most comfy and durable verses the rocky combat boots I use to use. I love my local rocky made boots but they don't hold up to abuse like the timberland pro boots do. Plus the timberland pros are easy on and off. Important at end of arduous days. I think good boots are as important as the right ammo. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

zippy wrote:
Moon Tree wrote:I've always suspected that my wife spend more on shoes in a year than I do on firearms.
I guess that means you haven't noticed the matching handbags she needed for all those shoes. :lol:
Haah! No different than reloading dies, brass, etc. A person must accessorize!
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Zippy, my wife is pretty utilitarian when it comes to purses. Sure, she has her black leather clutch purse to match that "little black dress and a summer purse to match a floral sundress. But, for the most part it's a bag to carry essentials.

AK, good to hear your report on the Timberland Pro work boots. I've been "wanting" a good pair of leather work/hunting boots for several years. "Wanting" is the operative word. I wear my Cabelas rubber boots during deer season for added scent control, or Cabelas duck boots during early archery season. Those duck boots are worn almost daily 8 months of the year. Some non-slip cowboy boots or tennis shoes fill in the gaps. There's like once every 4 to 6 weeks I find that a good pair of leather boot would fit the bill better than those others. So, there is no practical reason for my owning a pair, other than I want them.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.