Bailey is gone

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Bailey is gone

Post by Steelbanger »

It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that I had Bailey put down this morning. He has been my constant companion for 13.5 years but his last two years were very hard on him. He would clear one hurdle and then another would appear to take its place. He battled cancer, arthritis, pancreaitis, and a few other health issues too. This past week had been very hard on Bailey as he neither drank or ate anything substantial. Overnight was the worst as he scratched at the walls and furniture throughout the night. Daybreak found me hugging him as he slowly rose from his sleeping position on the floor. He felt like a vibrating toy he shook so much.

He was a wonderful hunter too, finding rabbits and then chasing them by scent. We had a great time hunting February snow covered woodlands. It really saddens me to now realize that these times will be no more. I am too old to start again with a new puppy.As beagles go Bailey was a very large specimen, but it was all muscle. As his health failed he lost weight but unless you held him you could barely tell but his bone structure was just beneath his skin.

I am determined to get through this difficult time.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Bailey is gone

Post by Arroyoshark »

Ah, very sorry to hear of loss of your dog. Dogs and their people form a strong bond with each other when each is treated well. It's hard for us for a while, when a dog reaches end of life. Their companionship and personality is missed. But it is part of the cycle of life. Savor the good moments for some time.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

The decision to put down a friend and companion is extremely hard, but you know when the time has come. Our thoughts are with you.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

So sorry to hear of his passing. lost my Griff, Pete last June.

Curt
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Sorry to hear that. No more suffering for Bailey.

Take care of yourself.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm really sorry to hear about Bailey. You both have been very lucky; you for having such a good, understanding friend, and him for having, well, the same. I realize you have lost a true companion but the sorrow will be replaced by all the great memories.
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

We had to put down 2 of our canine family members in 2015. I know your grief and feel for your lost. The bond between man and dog is special. The bond between hunter and hunting dog is extra special. There's a bond and trust that is build with time afield; without words or commands each knows the thoughts and role of the other. On a good day it is poetry in motion--a natural work of art.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Now is when those memories become so precious. May your heart be filled with those and the days give that special peace knowing you did what was best for your friend.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

I think Moon said it better than I possibly could.
We had the thirteen inch Beagles and they lived
to hunt. The memories are precious.

I don't even want to think about my GS needing
to be put down some day, he's a special friend
not to mention a member of the family.

Hang in there Steelbanger ... Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
4kdave

Post by 4kdave »

Sorry to hear of your loss. My folks had Beagles & an Irish Setter while I was growing up and I have had Irish Setters & German Shepherds during my 80+ years. Having to put one to sleep is the hardest thing in the world to do but when health dictates that it must be done then it is the only way to go. I got my last GS puppy at the animal shelter when I was 75 and said to myself that I was too old to take on this love at this time in my life but it turned out to be the best thing I could have done. He adores my 50 year old Son so I know if I leave he will be loved.