CCW and Merchants

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

CCW and Merchants

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

just got to wondering how anyone else feels about spending money at merchants that don't recognize your right to self defense. Wife and I are shopping for a new TV and thought since were next to one we'd stop and check out HH Gregg until I saw the sign on the door that basically said I wasn't welcome there. Turned around got back in the car and went to check out some stores that aren't posted. I plan an email to them to let them know why they lost a potential sale. Likely wont matter, but still they need to hear from people who walk away from their store solely for that reason.

I pretty much avoid gun free zones and find I have little or no trouble finding and purchasing the items I need or want.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CCW and Merchants

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap, I don't do business with them and figure out how to let them know. Never heard back from anyone I've notified but I really don't care.

Here in Texas, there has been a proliferation of postings to prevent entry both concealed and open carry since the open carry law came into effect. As the law was coming about, I figured the news reporting about it would educate the anti's on what was required to keep any carry off of private property and sure enough it did. There are at least three to four times the postings as before in my area. Honestly, I walk right past of a lot of them. If they figure out I'm concealed they must ask me to leave and I will.

On a Texas gun forum I noticed a post asking opinions as to "what to do about the proliferation of new postings". What was real funny about the post was that the OP was a very vocal supporter of open carry and said what has happened would not happen. It is a waste of time to debate that law now, all you can do is do what you intend to do in your example above.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

It's nice that your law requires they ask you to leave. Here in Ohio walking past the posting is a felony. Open carry is allowed here but I don't see it very often. Last time was a Harley rider in a tee shirt with a 1911 on his left hip.

I've found that the corporate types who post all their stores are usually big contributors to anti gun and other left wing causes so all the more reason to not add to their profits.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Been CCing for 14 months and have yet to see "no-weapons" signage anywhere except the mandated government facilities. Mostly in SC, but also NC, GA, and FL.

If I came upon one, I'd respect it and go elsewhere. They have their rights too, and that's what I knowingly agreed to abide by when I signed the CC application.

The one area I slipped up was to explicitly get permission (legal requirement) from my new friend, when my husband and I went there for dinner. My husband remembered after a few minutes, and got their OK. We have since then taken them shooting at our club, and her husband has gotten his first gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

All this hurrah about open carry here in Texas and I haven't seen one person that is using it; our biggest cities or in the country.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

In my part of TX 500 miles from RD I only know of one OC guy and he was doing before the law changed.

I saw a concealed gun Saturday. Not really following the rules.

The rules stink.

All types of licensing are a profit center. Licensing doesn't prevent bad contractors (but the licensee still profits), doesn't prevent bad drivers (but the licensee still profits), doesn't prevent irresponsible gun owners (but the licensee still profits).

Get a construction license and they raise your property taxes. Get a drivers license and pretty much all your costs go up. Get a carry license and....

Sure does pee in my Wheaties when someone local requires a carry license for s private sale firearm trade.

There are very few signs here, very few large retailers. I do what I think is right and leave the arguments to others.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.