Thermacell

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
LowKey

Thermacell

Post by LowKey »

Any opinions about Thermacell as a mosquito repellant?

http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Thermacell

Post by akuser47 »

Never heard of it I just use old hurricane lanterns with centrinilla oil instead of lamp oil seems to help maybe its in my head. No batteries and the oil goes a long way. Plus I love the bass fishing the river near the end of the day when the bugs start getting thick and active.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I love thermacells. I use one anytime I'm hunting when biting insects are out. No more messy, stinky sprays for me.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I use on quite often and find it effective. Some years at the public range we have a wicked problem with deer flies and it even works on them.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I guess I need to check them out. Thanks
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

The first time I was with someone who used a Thermecell was in bind for fall turkey archery season. Within 20 minutes of daylight, 50 plus gnat were biting me. He clicked on the Thermecell and 5 minutes later there were no gnats in the blind. I bought one on the way home.

They do have a couple of draw backs. One, the click of lighting one sound like lighting your propane grill. Get to your stand earlier than you think you'll see game. Don't wait until pesky biters are gnawing on you before you light it. Light it immediate, so you're not clicking it at prime hunting time. Second, they do have a very low volume hiss. Deer at less than 15 yards, my primitive bow range, do seem to get a little nervous. Stay calm. Don't rush the shot and they'll settle down.

The primitive archery buck I took last year was 12 yards away. He had been in front of me for 10 minutes before he presented a shot. At times he was 8 yards away.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Never heard of it until this thread. Just ordered one in olive drab plus a value pack refill kit containing 4 butane cylinders and 12 replacement mats......all for $37.89 to my door.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

Moon Tree wrote: The primitive archery buck I took last year was 12 yards away. He had been in front of me for 10 minutes before he presented a shot. At times he was 8 yards away.
Nice!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

The one thing I've found is that in the early season for upland game before a hard freeze they don't seem very effective with chiggers, but by the same token I don't think they claim to be. They do however seem to work on ticks during early parts of squirrel season and at that time around here you need it for the flying biters. Also handy around home when I have time to sit out and watch night coming on. I set it on the table next to the beverage of choice and commune with nature without feeding the critters.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

My issue is I sweat by the ton(hyperhidrosis) especially if its hot summer day fishing the river no bug sprays work as I wash them off sweating so they're pointless so even in day light. I usually build a good fire and have long sleeves and a bug net over my head and two hurricane lanterns with citronella oil in them. I'm not kidding I can walk and you'll see a black shadow of bloodsuckers and nats deer flies and horse flies follow me. I've had buddies that thought I had ghosts following until I showed them. Nothing I can do to stop it is what it is so I've learned to deal with it but if this works well maybe I don't have to cover up so much. +guns thanks