New Knives

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: New Knives

Post by Archer »

Very nice.

I have a bad tendency to pick up knives even when I don't really have much of a need for them.
I think I have about 2-3 sets of kitchen knives picked up as odds and sods. The Trimontia Pro grade set of 4 plus block and steel I found in a overstock/buyout clearance place while on TDY have become my favorites. They weren't sold as a set. I had to dig them out of the bins individually and I think I got the last 9 of the pro grade knives they had in the shop. Gave one set to my folks and kept the others. Had an extra Chef's from the deal and paid less than half retail.

Picked up a couple fixed blade stickers three days ago that were on sale and nothing really special but decided I could possibly use them as part of the trunk kit.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

That's all I need...another kind of collection. I've thought about it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Here is the first one. It is a vegetable knife made from high carbon steel (not stainless). It is only about 1/32" thick. Being thin and not stainless, it is really easy to sharpen and gets a very fine edge. I gun blued the steel. This actually worked really well. Before I blued the blade, the steel would react with the acid in certain foods (onions, tomatoes, etc...) and it would stain foods such as the onions. The gun bluing keeps the steel from rusting and keeps it from reacting with the food. It has a canvas Micarta handle that keeps the steel "stiff". Loveless style bolts and JB Weld keep it all together. I have three more from the same piece of steel ready for handles; another veggie knife, a boning knife and a small pairing knife. The other great thing is that I only paid $10 for all the steel since it is not stainless.
IMG_20160319_192532942.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.