Bicycles?

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
GasGuzzler

Re: Bicycles?

Post by GasGuzzler »

1997 Diamond Back Mini Viper 16"

For those that don't know a 16" is small...like for a fresh rider coming off training wheels.

Got this from a scammer off eBay. It was in bad shape when it arrived in Texas from California merely wrapped in Saran Wrap with no box.

I tore it down completely and gave the front wheel, frame, fork, and rear rim a vinegar bath (rust removal) followed by hand polish. I didn't want to disassemble the coaster hub so I just rotated the rim in the bath. It was grossly misrepresented with a bent rear rim, a top tube dent, lots of rust, rash on the bars and forks, bent right crank arm, a dented fork tube, and stripped left pedal but I continued. I cleaned and re-greased the front axle, bottom bracket, headset bearings. The tires are 16X1.75 comp III copies in nylon with gumwalls.

I finished it off with some throw away pedals I had, new grips, seat, gumwalls/tubes/strips, KMC chain , and a set of stickers online.

My 5-YO daughter loves it. Her favorite color is pink and when she saw the bike for the first time with the black no logo Flite pads she said "You know I love black."

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

When you can shine something up like that, especially when it was misrepresented you almost want to rub the seller's nose in it with pics.

I'm jonesing to get back on my Dawg. Ended up on some antibiotics that have kept me out of the sun and off the bike for a while but I REALLY feel the need for some pedal time.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Thanks, Archer. The vinaiger works great on CHROME but don't use it much on zinc plated or bare steel. It'll turn the metal dark.

I think I put 3-4 gallons in the tub with a little water for fill. Didn't use much water in the solution but did fill the empty jugs with water and placed them in empty spots to raise the level.

It took a week or more but the rust just floated off and made a skin layer on top of the liquid.

It won't work in flaking rust or pitted rust because of exposed under metal.

It's amazing how many methods working on vintage BMX bikes can cross over to guns.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Archer wrote:When you can shine something up like that, especially when it was misrepresented you almost want to rub the seller's nose in it with pics.

I'm jonesing to get back on my Dawg. Ended up on some antibiotics that have kept me out of the sun and off the bike for a while but I REALLY feel the need for some pedal time.
I feel for ya, I just got over Pneumonia,,,,well still coughing a bunch, wants to get out my Surly and pedal.

Heres a pic of my ride. with holster i right panier
LHT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm building an '86 Mongoose FS-1.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Loosely mocked up. All parts ordered.

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Pretty cool.

My wrench is closing his bike shop. He's decided the shop is costing more money than it is bringing in.
He'll still be around as a mechanic but without the store front. He's my go to guy when I can't figure it out or when I'm working so much I can either work on the bike OR ride it but not both. Most of the other shops I've taken a bike to over the years have been as likely to screw something up as to fix anything.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Had a gift cert from a buddy for a local bike shop that was going out of business.
Managed to cash it in for 2/3rds the cost of this 65mm x 0 degree Race Face Atlas stem.

I'm currently running a 50mm x 8 degree Race Face Atlas that I got on sale before they changed to the new design in part because it was inexpensive and I was way tired of running the 130mm Evolve and couldn't get a 60ish mm stem for a reasonable price. This wasn't reasonable exactly but with the gift cert my out of pocket was very low.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Funny you bring this topic back up as I'm bringing the 'Goose home today.

I ain't giving it to my suix year old.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Archer wrote:
. Most of the other shops I've taken a bike to over the years have been as likely to screw something up as to fix anything.
So true,,,,,,,,,,I got off my recliner and rode the gonowhere bike for 5 min,,,,
:|
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.