Bicycles?

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
GasGuzzler

Bicycles?

Post by GasGuzzler »

Good idea just stay out of my garage.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
LowKey

Re: Bicycles?

Post by LowKey »

GasGuzzler wrote:Good idea just stay out of my garage.
Lol, nice bikes!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I go through a tube or three a season with goatheads despite using tire liners.
If we are going to be posting bike pics here's a few of the ones I'm currently riding...

The Kona Dawg Deluxe is now wearing a 50mm RaceFace Atlas stem in blue anno and a 9Point8 remote stepping seatpost.
The Gary Fisher Big Sur is my backup and loaner bike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Archer, maybe we should split them out.

I can write long boring stories of building all of those.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Someday I want to get a surly like a moonlander. I doubt its really economical or fun to ride but looks like it could be cool.
surly fat tires
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I didn't build either of mine BUT they aren't stock.

The Gary Fisher Big Sur is a 2003 and one of the last of the made in the U.S.A Trek bikes. Trek has finally more or less fully absorbed Fisher as a brand. I think they may still be calling some of their bikes Gary Fisher collection but as a brand I expect they won't be coming back.

The Big Sur was purchased new as a last year leftover for 35% off.
The bike has been modified with Avid BB7 disc brakes with 6" rotors.
The Bontrager wheelset was changed out for a Sun Rhino set with Shimano 6 bolt XT disc hubs.
The hard and annoyingly uncomfortable Bontrager saddle was changed out for a WTB Speed V.
I gave it quite a while trying to break it in and decided my fundament would probably break first.
The fork has the heavy spring added (I've got the standard in the parts box.)
Also added the metal top cap. The fork can be preloaded from 108mm to around 53mm or so but that's mostly a gimmick IMO. What was a decent fork back in the day might not make entry level today.
The extended over sized bar ends are probably Profile Designs or Forte' or another store brand.
There's a N-gear jump stop on the seat tube just over the bottom bracket and a Black Spire Big Ring protector installed.

The Shimano clipless pedals were exchanged for Shimano 545 clipless platform pedals and then those were replaced with Crank Brothers Mallet C clipless which work well but I've since gone back to platform pegs most of the time. I like the Mallets for most riding but there's no question of if you are out of the pedals when they are platforms and when you are in the middle of the plunge on Cannel you don't want to forget if you are clipped in or get clipped in by accident.

I think I'm currently running WTB tires on it, probably 2.4" Mutano Raptors.

I used to run the same thing on the Dawg but I think I've got Maxxis 2.35 Ignitors on it currently. Better grip.
Probably should mix up the front and rear with different tires however.

Yeah AK,
Looks like fun but I often wonder about the rolling inertia. I'm old and slow as it is.
I've seen a couple on racks around here on the back of vehicles passing through.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I rode one of their first fat tire bikes it was so comfy to cruz on. But my back these days I need a more upright riding position more like a beach bike but I still want 18 speeds n all terrain tires and a good wide comfy seat. Maybe I need to build it +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Redline Proline (white, orange, blue):

This all started with me buying a junk bike from a friend for $10.

I got the bug.

Bought the perfectly powder coated frame and fork with stickers plus the Redline 6-bolt stem/neck in rider condition, and the re-chromed/restored bars on the Museum. I sanded and polished the stem and changed the headset after a bearing adjustment disaster killed the one sent with the F/F. White Skyway Tuff II's installed later. Everything but the F/F, bars, stem is new or NOS.

Parts breakdown:

1993 Proline powdered white frame & fork
Reproduction Tioga headset
6-bolt Redline stem polished at home
Re-chromed Redline bars
Porkchop American to Euro BB adapter
Shimano UN55 sealed bearing JIS BB
Aero 170mm cold forged cranks and spider
eBay 16T freewheel
VP-565 alloy pedals 9/16"
Porkchop 48T alloy chain ring
KMZ orange and black chain
Reproduction A'ME triangle mini grips
Reproduction Redline chrome seat post
Porkchop retro seat post clamp
Reproduction Dia-Compe MX1000 calipers front & rear
Porkchop dice caps
Reproduction Dia-Compe Tech III levers
Porkchop pads and cable kit with stainless inners
Skyway TUFF II wheels
daddy-o seat and guts
Dia-Compe cable clamps

Geared this one high. I'm light so I could get it moving. I did the 5 miles to work in 19 minutes ONCE. It looked better with 36H spoke wheels it had first (it's a racing BMX not a freestyle BMX). In the end, it was too long (22" top tube) for me (5'10") and the parts were worth more to others than me. I took a loss (this one cost about $475 to build) but not much of a loss. I learned a lot for future builds (but not to spend less).
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Here's how it looked during the build with spokes.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

1987 Diamond Back Viper

Bought the frame, fork, bars, headset, bottom bracket, crank, sprocket, clamp, stem, and universal brake kit from a Museum member. Added the rest myself. Bike went together in less than two weeks.

Built it for my wife on a watermelon theme. She loves it. I think it turned out great. Rides very smoothly.

Did my best with the chrome to clean and shine it. Used 0000 steel wool soaked in WD40 to remove residue followed by alcohol wipe then motorcycle wadding type polish. Made touch ups to the black on the neck and center of sprocket as well as the clamp with gun restoration marker.

Parts list:
Frame, fork, stem/neck, sprocket, bars, clamp ORIGINAL. Decals are fairly nice, chrome is well above average for its age
Bottom bracket has one cone nut marked DYNO. Not sure its origin. It all fit.
Headset is not stamped but likely original
Brake cables, calipers, levers are Porkchop copies that came with the bike but work fine. Had to shorten the rear cable and sheath by at least 6"
New Skyway Tuff II mags
Dicta 16T freewheel
Green Velo seat, pink brake pads, chrome and black chain, seat guts bought from Museum member daddy-o
Generic 4130 seat post, Dia-Compe cable clamps, stainless neck clamp bolts, and "fancy" axle nuts from Porkchop
20X2.125 Duro tires and bear trap style pedals from eBay
Frame is combination of hi-ten and 4130 as evidenced by original stickers.