A new Start

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
dvw86

A new Start

Post by dvw86 »

Some of you know that I travel a lot for work (mostly out of country). This makes it tricky to work on guns and makes it plain hard on the family with a wife and six kids at home. I have a work laptop and cell phone so my home office became a neglected mess as well. The last two weeks I have been in Portland OR, Vancouver BC, Calgary Alberta and Quincy WA. I leave here in about an hour to go back to Calgary again for six days.

So as of March 1st I start a new job that has a lot less travel (almost none). I'm really excited about it!

In preparation to loosing my "digital tools" and to having more time at home, I cleaned up my home desk and made it multipurpose. My old Dell was powered up for the first time in a long while and boy was it slow!! Windows 7 had hundreds of updates to install and felt like it was trying to crunch calculations that were meant for the Titan Supercomputer. So a quick virtual trip to download the latest version of Puppy Linux and my old machine is running like a champ once again. It took some tweaking, but now I have two screen working and I can watch the Steve's Gunz video and research the forum at the same time.
20160131_092028(1).jpg
On the side I started gathering up some tools to work on the Rossi 92's. I have 4 of them to finish and I really enjoy it, so I figured that I may as well invest a little time into setting up a work space. As all the odds and ends started cluttering things up, my wife had a good idea and took me to the craft store. This is what she came up with. It's meant for beading, but works pretty darn good for light gun work.
20160131_101709.jpg
I can't wait to get back from my last trip and start spending more time at home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler

Re: A new Start

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice, I bet the family is excited to. Glad to hear your happy.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great to hear that you will have more time at home for your family and your interests. Your wife sounds like a great gal in my book! Nice of her to pitch in with ideas!
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Heck, with you home more, i cant wait to see what you come up with! Enjoy!
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
btoran

Post by btoran »

I used to travel lots for work amd am very thankful I don't anymore. Nice to see the world on someone else's dime, but way too stressful and not good for the family.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Thank you all. I'm back home!

RD, you are correct, she is the greatest!

The 16" SS 44 is coming apart this week.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Well, even more new things. My phone was provided by work so I ordered a new one yesterday. $200 later, problem solved.

My wife and I would sometimes watch movies on our Apple TV. One of the old original ones. It was dieing so I picked up a Roku streaming device. $80 later, problem solved.

My wife has decided that she now needs a new computer. The kids need to use her's for homeschooling. $800 bill coming.

Then this morning I turned on my laptop (about 6 years old). The wireless network adapter has failed and I'm getting disk errors. I tried Windows and two versions of Linux. Same errors and symptoms in all three operating systems.
:?
As fun as it is to get new electronics, I would much rather spend the money on a new gun. I may just decide that I can go without a laptop and buy a gun anyways.
+guns
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I kept a 2007 XP laptop running with three keyboards, a backlight and transformer, three chargers, four batteries, etc. I just replaced my four year old iPhone 4 with a 6 because it was tough to charge only after disassembling it a few months back to repair the lock button with some BMX inner tube repair patches. Yesterday I replaced a leaking water solenoid on my 3 year old $3K Kenmoore (LG) refrigerator. I disassembled my 2005 double oven control panel a couple years ago to resolder a popped connection. I've replaced the door latch on my 2005 Maytag dishwasher twice and the control knobs on the same year and make glass stove once. Back in the fall I replaced the cracked screen on my 11 YO's tablet (I broke it due to his negligence so I covered it under Daddy Warranty) with parts from a DOA eBay unit.

I feel your pain. I fix other people's crap all day for pay and when I get home there's usually something broken at my place at the table. Four kids 13 and under will do that.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.