Moon Tree Gathering (primitive archery)

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Moon Tree Gathering (primitive archery)

Post by Moon Tree »

For those of you interested in primitive archery, arrow crafts and flint napping, I invite you to my farm March 18, 19 and 20 for a little gathering. This will the 4th year that I hosted the event. It's been big fun and a pleasure to hang out with quality people in workshop building bow and in the knapping pit.

About the event:
Well, it's pretty non-structured and laid back. Folks just mill around from various activities, socializing and learning from one another. It's kind of like, "Hey anyone want to shoot the 3-D course? And, 20 minutes later were shooting the course.) Or, Dave, can you give us a demo of making a Cherokee 2-fletched arrow? Or, Clint can you help me with applying a snake skin on the back of my bow?

I'll have a small 3-D archery course set up(12 stations).

Friday and Saturday evening there's a pot luck meals.

Most bowyers also shoot firearms. I have a 50 yard range in the backyard, a 200 yard in the back of the farm and a clay pigeon field.

Primitive camping is available anywhere on the farm. But, if you want electricity, you'll need to be within drop cord length of the house. Between the house and the guest cottage we can always find room for someone to sleep indoors.

Here's a few link I posted here last year after the Gathering
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... ing#p32623

Here's a link on Primitive Archer that will keep you updated to the fun as it transpires.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/inde ... 577.0.html
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Moon Tree Gathering (primitive archery)

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for posting your event! After reading you reports, it sounds like a lot of fun!
Michael
btoran

Post by btoran »

if knapping is anything like napping, i think i'd like it.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

btoran wrote:if knapping is anything like napping, i think i'd like it.
bt, knapping is more like taking large rocks, flaking away until you have an arrowhead. Or, as I do it, turning large piece of flint into a bucket full of smaller pieces of flint. haha
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Ranch Dog wrote:Thanks for posting your event! After reading you reports, it sounds like a lot of fun!
RD it all started 4 years ago when some of the KY bowyers wanted to to get together for a weekend. It seemed I was centrally located so I offered to host it at my place. Everyone had so much fun that they said they would be showing up the following year whether I was hosting or even at home. So, I just gave in. haha The original core group is 8 or 10 great guys aew now good friends. Every year we've seen another 8 or 10 new folks attending who are equally good folks.

There are only two websites on the internet that I would extend such an invitation to my home to relative strangers. Those are PrimitiveArcher.com and rossi-rifleman.com, because I feel the members of both are family.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Moon Tree wrote:There are only two websites on the internet that I would extend such an invitation to my home to relative strangers. Those are PrimitiveArcher.com and rossi-rifleman.com, because I feel the members of both are family.
Well thank you on behalf of the forum! That is quite a stamp of approval!
Michael
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

Sounds like good times Moon. This will be my 7th , trad only 3d, bunny, squirrel shoot on my farm. It started with 6 preparing for a hog hunt and this year it will be about 18 or 20. All guys and some wives from work.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

moose that sounds like fun.