Wild Game Recipes

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wild Game Recipes

Post by Ranch Dog »

Already some great recipes. I'm not a cook by any means, kind of like Ak described, simple meat stuff but would like to start doing more now that I'm retired. I'm getting caught up and will figure out where a sub-forum fits in as I would like to see the recipes in stand alone, appropriate titled topics so that they are easy to find.
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

RD, thanks for considering this as a sub-forum.

Probably my favorite venison feast is the simplest. That's the inner loins, the little strip of meat against the the spine inside the rib cage. This cut of meat rarely sees a freezer.

I cut them as thick as they are wide. Dice some onions. put a couple tablespoons of butter in an iron skillet. Add salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. Stir fry on a low-high heat. Cook them to a medium rare and you can cut them with a plastic fork. Add side items of wild rice or baked potatoes and a garden salad; it a meal fit for a king. :)

BTW, I cooked venison meatloaf for dinner tonight. YUMMY!! I make individual size loafs of around 1/2 pound. Sides were Swiss Chard and pinto beans. Now that's some good eatin"
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, no doubt the tenderloin is the best!
Michael
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Well, I spoze I could post this,,,Left over Deer Roast and other cuts.
My wife got this kitchen appliance that grinds up cooked meat into a a spread.
I mixed in some Miracle Whip, Mustard, and lemon Pepper,,,hit the button a couple more times and had really good sandwich spread one day.....course it works with any meat, pick yur own flavors.... +corn
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Bibletotingunslinger wrote:.... got this kitchen appliance that grinds up cooked meat into a a spread.
+1

I've done that with the front mount KitchenAid grinder and left over Thanksgiving turkey. Add some mayonnaise, dill relish, mustard, black pepper....hmm, bird paste.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Bible and Gas, those are some really interesting ideas Have you ever tried to can the meat spreads? I'm think a small preserve type canning jar for the process. It would be a great lunch snack at camp. Gotta give this a try.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I haven't. It's so good I eat it all soon after no matter the amount. I suspect Miracle Whip (made with oil) would be a better choice for this although I usually prefer mayonnaise (made with raw egg).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I became chief cook and bottle washer just 2 years ago, I am canning stupid.
I do think I can freeze stuff pretty good. :ugeek:
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I can.

Just not meat (yet). My pickles and peppers will make you say bad words for a good reason.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Gas, a funny pickle story: When we moved on the farm, my wife was excited to plant a vegetable garden. She was going over the list of things she was going to plant in the spring--tomatoes, squash, pepper and pickles. In a loving tone I say, "Honey, you don't plant PICKLES. You plant cucumbers then pickle them." "hmm, I guess I need to plant cucumbers." She's come a long way in 15 years. I can eat her "Sunshine Pickles," a sweet pickle, like candy. Her spicy Kosher dills, are pretty darn good, also. :)