Wild Game Recipes

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Wild Game Recipes

Post by Moon Tree »

You're welcome to add your favorite recipes

I enjoy cooking and eating wild game nearly as much as I like hunting wild game. I'll experiment, write down ingredients, cook and tweak my recipes until I get them to what I think are perfect. I've been doing this for about 30 years. I thought I'd share a few with my friends here. Please feel free to add your own recipes to the list. If there's a lot of interest in this topic Ranch Dog might add another forum topic to include recipes.

Here's one of my favorites:
Venison Meatloaf
2 lbs ground venison
2 eggs
Bread grumbles or oatmeal to consistency
1 ts Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 ts garlic
1/8 ts ground cloves
1/3 ts ground coriander
½ ts majoram
1 ts salt
1 ½ ts black pepper
½ ts red pepper
2 medium onions
3 dashes of liquid smoke.
Make into individual serving loafs. Poke ½ deep hole with your finger. Cover with 3 parts ketchup and 1 part A-1 steak sauce. Rub in. Cover with bacon. Cook at 325 degrees for 30 minute or until done (bacons starts to burn on the edges.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Wild Game Recipes

Post by Moon Tree »

Another recipe:

Venison Lasagna
2 lbs ground venison
1 ½ lbs Riccota cheese
2 jars Ragu Garden Style spaghetti sauce
1 ½ shredded Mozerella (sp) Cheese
1 tbs basil
1 tbs oregano
1 tbs garlic
2 dashes of tabasco sauce
2 eggs
1 packet of no-boil lasagna noodles
Brown the ground venison seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic to taste. Mix the Riccota cheese, Moz cheese, eggs, basil, oregano, garlic and tabasco sauce into a paste. Put a layer of no-boil lasagna noodles on the bottom of you lasagna pan 11 ¾ x 11 ¾ inch appox.. Spread a coating of Ragu over them, then a layer of ground venison, then a coating of the cheesy paste. Repeat the process until your pan is full. Cover the top layer with a modest layer of Ragu. Cook at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until done.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Sounds delicious Moon.

Wish my wife could cook ! :)

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Moon Tree .... I do like venison meatloaf, and I do it in the covered grill (off the flame of course) with a lot of smoke. And BACON is obviously one of the main ingredients for any smoked meat at my house. All that being said, when I cover a large chunk or pan of meat for slow cooking in the smoke, I weave a "mat" of BACON, similar to the way we made those potholders as kids. For added decoration (as if nicely browned bacon needs any) you can add a few cherry peppers or cherry tomatoes to the top for the last half hour or so in the smoker.

Thanks for the thread. I would like to see a separate subforum for cooking .... man cooking stuff .... none of that toe fool kinda stuff :lol:

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I make breakfast.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

jd, that sounds great. I've thought of smoking a meatloaf. Gotta give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

Gas, I'm away from my cook notebook (my wife's asleep and don't want to wake her rummaging around the kitchen). But, I post a sausage casserole recipe tomorrow.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Sounds great keep posting this is a great thread. I love deer jerky but I like der steak as well never delved beyond simple meals with game meats though.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

You guys are making me hungry!
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Here's a breakfast casserole that pretty quick and yummy. I've made it several time at deer camp
Sunny Side Up Casserole

1 lb. of sausage--browned, wild boar sausage works well, also
1 1/2 cups of sage stuffing/dressing crumbles
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
6 eggs
Cover an 8x10" aluminum baking pan with the sage breading. Cover the breading with a mixture of 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, sour cream and Dijon. Spread the browned sausage over the mixture. Make six, 2" holes in the mixture. Crack an egg for each hole. Sprinkle the remaining cheese around the eggs. Cook in the oven for 30 minute at 235 for 30 minutes or until the eggs are cooked.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Moon, please invite me to your next deer camp....I live for breakfast 24/7. :)
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C