Trying to decide on a "cabin" gun

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
dvw86

Re: Trying to decide on a "cabin" gun

Post by dvw86 »

So I picked up a ranch hand in 44 magnum. Time will tell if it will work for the purpose or not. If I stay for long periods of time at the cabin, then I will take other weapons as well (shotgun, 22lr, etc...). I'm going to put a picatinny rail on it with a flashlight and laser site. Also it will get a single strap saddle ring sling for hiking. It will have bird shot in the barrel and hard cast in the tube. The reasons that I chose this are as follows.

1. I wanted one :D
2. It's about the right size for carrying around all the time when I'm up there.
3. It's a 6 shot 44 magnum handgun with a 12 inch barrel. So it has plenty of stopping power.
4. 44 magnum is my preferred cartridge and all my reloading stuff is set up for that (brass, primers, dies, molds, powder, etc...)
5. It's considered a pistol, so in Washington with a concealed carry permit (which I have) I can have it loaded in the Jeep and in the truck. I can't have rifles or shotguns loaded in vehicles.
6. It's short enough that I can maneuver it inside a Jeep Wrangler or CJ5 quickly (try that with a rifle or shotgun).
7. With a sling it should be easy to carry on hikes and not pull my pants down like the Super Blackhawk.

The Super Blackhawk with a shoulder holster would fit the bill just as well except for the laser and flashlight. That and number 1 above. :)
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Well here it is after getting cleaned up and lubed. The lgs had two in 44 magnum. The other one had the rear sight way to the right. I asked them if they could center it and they tried but could not get it to budge. It looked like that was as far as the factory could get it to go as well so they shipped it like that. The lgs is sending it back to Rossi. Fortunately for me, the second one was great. The action is really smooth and the trigger pull is great. This also has some pretty good figuring in the wood, especially for a Rossi. I oiled the wood and once that dries, it will get a good coat of wax. Now to save up a few more pennies to get the rail, laser, light and sling.

I'm really glad that I can look at these before making a purchase. My lgs has sent two guns back to Rossi in the past couple of weeks just from me looking at them.

Sorry for the crummy pics.
20151122_191932.jpg
20151122_191955.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Does it have the saddle ring?
Michael
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Does it have the saddle ring?
Yes it does on the other side. That is how I'm going to attach the sling.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Saddle ring sling is the best way to carry a 92!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Looks good
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:Saddle ring sling is the best way to carry a 92!
Not arguing but the colors and material is not lever-gun-able IMO.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Saddle ring sling is the best way to carry a 92!
Not arguing but the colors and material is not lever-gun-able IMO.
Ever see a leather one? I was thinking of trying to make one. I've done some leather work in the past and still have some around.
P1050012.JPG
FingerKnives.JPG
Norm'sKnives.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Well I did some looking on-line and didn't see anything that I really liked for a sling. They were either too bulky or had a piece of metal scratching your gun. Some of them have a piece of nylon webbing that looks like it would be a pain to remove as well. Here are some examples below.
sps qd sr-1.jpg
sps qd sr.jpg
28151mini-P1010017.JPG
So I went to the local hardware store and came up with this for $3.10. We will see how it works for a while before I make something out of leather. The webbing was by the foot. I didn't use any of those bulky "snap" buckles that eventually break. It has a "tension" type of buckle. The harder you pull, the tighter it gets. But it is still easy to remove from the gun when you want to.
20151128_144510.jpg
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

Nice, will you wear it cross-chest or over-shoulder? +corn
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."