Trying to decide on a "cabin" gun

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
GasGuzzler

Re: Trying to decide on a "cabin" gun

Post by GasGuzzler »

Seems more usefully than the '70's tassel of leather I put on my longer one to keep the EIGHT from getting worserest.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

TinMan wrote:Nice, will you wear it cross-chest or over-shoulder? +corn
Thanks, I plan on wearing it across the chest.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

So here is a close-up of how it attaches to the ring. It is just one piece of strap webbing about 5.5 feet long, one cam buckle and one strap adjuster. I like how it is adjustable and I didn't have to do any sewing. For $3 it's probably the least amount of money that I've spent on an accessory.
20151128_190653.jpg
20151128_190724.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looks good to me!
Michael
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Well I wrapped the loop in cord. It's technically not paracord (more cotton than nylon I think). I found some lying around and it matched the look of the gun well. This should help my fingers some.
20151129_171949.jpg
Also, found a way to easily carry it in the Jeep. It fits nice and tight between the seat and the console. The barrel rests on the transfer case rubber boot. I may make a leather scabbard for it that would hold it here if needed. This should work well when driving around the property and surrounding areas.
20151129_172207.jpg
When I bought this, they gave me a $40 bag to go with it since this was the 3rd 92 I purchased from them in the past couple of months. It looks like some type of "bug-out" or backpacking bag for an AR or shotgun (something that would be "takedown". There are two compartments that will strap in half a gun. The Ranch Hand fits great and you could easily carry two of them in here. It has a carrying handle and a shoulder strap that is kind of like a "cross the shoulder" backpack. It has a third compartment as well. I will put 44 cleaning supplies, the sling and some ammo in there. This will make it nice to throw into the Jeep from home when I decide to take a weekend trip to the cabin. Now for the rail, laser and light. I think that it will also get some parts from Steve's Gunz.
20151129_171911.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Are the drilled & tapped under the rear sight?
Michael
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Are the drilled & tapped under the rear sight?
No, it's not. I will either have to get a Pearson's rail or have it drilled and tapped for the NOE rail. I would prefer the NOE rail for several reasons, but we will have to see how much it costs to drill and tap the barrel.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Let us know what you find out.
Michael
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Well I've acquired a few parts from Stevezguns as of late so both the Ranch Hand and the 16" stainless are all taken apart getting re-worked. One thing that I thought I would update on is the forearm/barrel band of the Ranch Hand. I knew when I bought it that this was going to be an issue. The screw was just barely engaging the threads. This is a known issue.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=469

One thing I noticed though was that my 16" SS 92 does not have this issue. So I took off both bands and tried interchanging the screws. What I found was interesting.

First off, the SS screw is just slightly longer. This little extra length makes a huge difference. Also, the threads on the Ranch Hand band were basically stripped. Below you can see that even when removed from the gun, the screw wasn't long enough to fully engage into the band threads.
20151231_092310.jpg
20151231_092252(1).jpg
So here is what I did to fix it.

First I removed the thin piece of wood in the forearm between the magazine tube and the barrel.

Then I thinned down the forearm where the band goes. This helps since there was simply too much wood there compounding the issue. Even with the screw removed, the band was a real bugger to remove.

Next I went to the local hardware store to buy a replacement screw. The Rossi screw is some odd thread. It is closest to a 4mm by 0.7 pitch, but even that isn't quite right. Since my band was already stripped, I purchased a 6x32 tap for about $4 and a zinc plated machine screw (slotted flat head) for $0.10.

After getting home I re-threaded the band to 6x32.

I reshaped the head on the machine screw to match the dome of the factory screw and cut the screw to length while rounding off the end.

Finally I blued the screw.

Now it all goes together well without any undue pressure. The threads fully engage and it looks factory.
20151231_092423.jpg
20151231_092434.jpg
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Nice job! And sounds like the best way to handle this.! I've been fortunate , of the three all removed fine, just had to fine tune the path between mag and barrel
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C