Trying to decide on a "cabin" gun

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
dvw86

Trying to decide on a "cabin" gun

Post by dvw86 »

So I'm trying to decide on a solution for the cabin. I have 40 acres with a cabin on it. Surrounding it is thousands of acres of public land. This is my retreat, but I don't like to go there without some kind of firearm. There are way too many animal threats. Just last year I shot a bear at 15 yards away. He came running down hill at me from behind.Fortunately it was bear season and I had a tag, so I got to keep it.

The other animals that we have around and I keep an eye out for are (in order of my concern):

* rattle snakes
* cougars
* Grizzly Bears
* wolves
* moose
* skunks
* Bobcats
* elk
* rats

Currently I keep a break action single shot 12 gauge that stays near the door. In an shell holder on the stock are #8, #4 and buckshot. On the barrel I mounted a flashlight for nocturnal visitors. It is pretty darn versatile for cabin defense, but isn't so good for taking on hikes. It's long and only has one shot.

On hikes I either take a 44 Super blackhawk or lately my Rossi 92 in 44 mag. These are great for the larger concerns, ok for skunks and rats and about useless on snakes.

So I'm debating three options.

1. Adding a Bond Arms 45/410 to my hiking gear for snakes, but I really don't want add more weight to what I carry.

2. Just put a bird shot shell in the first cylinder position of the Ruger or in the chamber of the Rossi. This is by far the most cost effective, but I would have to cycle past it or fire it off in "waste" if I needed to defend against something other than a snake. I also don't like putting bird shot through a rifled barrel.

3. The other option that I'm considering is a Ranch Hand in 44 mag with a Pearson's rail, flashlight and laser sight mounted on it. This may fit the bill for cabin defense and a hiking sidearm. I think that I would still have to add a Bond Arms in 45/410 for snakes though.

What ideas do you guys have? Am I overlooking some obvious option?
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Trying to decide on a "cabin" gun

Post by zippy »

* rattle snakes
* cougars
* Grizzly Bears
* wolves
* moose
* skunks
* Bobcats
* elk
* rats

That's not a home, it's a zoo! Don't shoot them, charge admission. :lol:
Mrlucky353

Post by Mrlucky353 »

Finding one weapon appropriate for everything from grizzlies to rats might be a challenge.

But there is a lot of truth in the expression "Beware the man with only one gun."
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

fortunately, I don't have to worry about the larger 4 legged creatures where I hike (I'm a land surveyor, so I do "hike" some), so my major hiking threats here in NE Texas are snakes (we don't leave them alive along our survey routes), feral dogs and feral hogs. During the snake season (which is 10 months per year here), I carry the first two holes in my 5 hole SP101 .357 loaded with snake shot, followed by the appropriate magnum hardball rounds. I also keep a revolver "in house" loaded with snake shot as we occasionally have the copperhead or coral snake in the yard. Fortunately the rattlers are about 30 miles West of us and the cottonmouths stay down in the creek bottoms, so they aren't a threat at home ... but I do have to work those areas some as well. If I were in an area where big critters might be an issue as well as snakes, I'd probably opt for two revolvers if carrying a long gun was inconvenient. One revolver in a shoulder holster with snake shot, and one on the belt with hard ball for the faster draw on those larger critters that may be prone to attack pretty fast. I just don't see a single long gun suited for the purpose of a "minding your own business hike" unless it's a short barreled 12 or 20 gauge loaded with one round of #6 followed by either 00 buck or slugs. I have no experience with charging bears or moose, but I'd guess you wouldn't be able to get off a second shot of #6 in order to get to the buck or slug .... thus the thought of a single shot shell in the shotty.

I suppose when considering the appropriate firearm and load for so many possibilities it all boils down to "guess right".

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Your right, I was overlooking the 18 inch pump shot gun. I could mount lights on it as well. There would still be the issue/delay of a "snake shot" shell as the first round if I needed it for larger threats.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

If a short shotgun with a choice of loads is up your alley, How about a Keltec KSG, double-magazine pump, with a quick selector switch.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/ksg/shotgun/
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

All I can say is I want one. It will never be legal in this country but a man can dream.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Coop 45 wrote:All I can say is I want one. It will never be legal in this country but a man can dream.
I handled one of these at Academy Sports, and was surprised at the quality fit and finish. The action was buttery smooth. I am a style semi-traditionalist but the utility of the Bullpup design and dual magazine is intriguing.
Of course, if I got this bullpup, then I would HAVE TO get the Tavor 5.56 that's been whispering to me at the LGS counter.

This video of the Keltec is from a well known US enthusiast, if you want a taste.

Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

This doesn't sound like an easy one gun solution at all. This could be a lower cost two gun solution though. Maybe a decent .22 pistol and rifle combo. Maybe the rifle is a single shot .30-06 or something similar that can take heavy for caliber for bear or lighter for deer.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I always say, why one gun with a bunch will do!
Michael