Getting Behind On Projects!

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Getting Behind On Projects!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Been real busy with ranch work and the mold business, I've fallen behind on my personal shooting projects and haven't pulled a trigger on my Rossi's since the morning I killed the three hogs. Here is what I have going and by gosh I'm somehow going to get going on this list today!
  • R92s in general
    • I've done bits and pieces of the Steve's Gunz video work as I was always in a hurry. I want to take a period of time with each rifle and go through them from start to finish. I'm not having any issues with the rifles, just want to work through them.
  • R92 - 44 Mag
    • For starters, I want to loosen and check the level on my scope. When I was shooting at the distant hog, I did not feel that the crosshairs were level as the rifle came up to my shoulder. I guess it worked out but I did have that moment of hesitation to "square up" and I don't like that.
    • I'm happy with my H110 load but want to do complete course of load work with Lil' Gun.
  • R92 - 45 Colt
    • My Lil' Gun load is running 38.0K PSI, I want to back off to 35.0K PSI. I'm probably talking one grain or less but I don't want that little bit of extra pressure on the rifle.
  • R92 - 480
    • Need to make a chamber impression and slug the bore.
    • Load work with both the Lee 476-400-RF and C476-340-RF using H110 and Lil' Gun. I have the bullets lubed and sized and all my reloading tools arrived last week.
    • Design a Ranch Dog bullet.
  • RG 45-70
    • My piloted throat reamer arrived, time to get to work on the throat on this rifle so that I can chamber larger lead bullets.
    • With that done, I will start working my way through BL-C(2), Benchmark, H-322, H-355, H4198, H4895, and Varget with each of my three bullets; the TLC460-300-RF, TLC460-350-RF, and TLC460-425-425-RF. I need to get through this pretty quick as I'm selling my Guide Gun and 1895MR in favor of this rifle.
  • RG 38-55
    • I put a new scope on the rifle, I need to sight it in.
    • The rifle also has a SAAMI spec chamber cut and is not large, cast bullet friendly. If I am happy with the throat work on the 45-70, I'm going to order a piloted 3°tapered reamer for it as well.
I need to get busy! :(
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Getting Behind On Projects!

Post by Steelbanger »

You were my idol when it came to organizational skills! After reading just how disorganized you have become gives me hope for myself. Some day I will clean off my loading bench, have all rifles cleaned, empty brass organized, old shotshells sorted and useless ones disposed of, all loads finalized and standardized, etc., etc.

So the MR is going. That is the rifle Mike shot his hog with isn't it? Is there anything you are looking for? How about a super accurate Ruger No. 1 in 45-70? I have owned this for years, carried it hunting but never had a shot at a deer with it. Mike took it out once and killed a deer with it. Load was an effective 400 gr. Speer FP and it put that deer right down. I have a few other rifles (Marlin octagon barreled rimfires) I would swap but don't know what you'd want.

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:So the MR is going. That is the rifle Mike shot his hog with isn't it? Is there anything you are looking for?
It is the same rifle. I took it nilgai hunting two years ago and Mike was the last fellow to hunt with it before that. It is just more rifle than I need here on the ranch. My "new" 444T can handle all the monsters roaming my part of South Texas. Not looking for anything to replace it in particular but but I'm sure we can work something out. The C379-250-RF came in this afternoon. I will email you about that in the morning and set the rifle aside for your consideration.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Those Project lists seem to grow overnight. Have a 92 Win (1908 vintage) that was a rust bucket inside and still needs more attention. If there was no other item to repair, find and all the daily chores there just might be more time for those favorite projects. But then as I like to say.. ya have to eat also.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ridgerunner665
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Ridgerunner665 »

That sounds alot like my week off...too many guns, not enough time!

But I gave it a hell of a try... :mrgreen: ...worked up loads for and/or sighted in my 30-06, my wifes 270, my buddies 243's (2 of them), 308, 270, and 30-06.

Had to go back to work so I could rest... :lol:
Proud parent of a US Marine....1833 AAV crewman