What do you think?

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!

Do you think this forum is going to make it?

Poll ended at 10 May 2012 22:12

Who knows
63%
Sure it will
38%
I doubt it
No votes

Total votes: 8

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

What do you think?

Post by Ranch Dog »

It has been almost 90 days and we have gained less than a member per day. Two thirds of the small group that has registered has not posted. What do you think?
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: What do you think?

Post by akuser47 »

It takes time and this is a smaller niche on the rossi end I have been add linkin to this site as much as possible on other forums to try and gain more steam. It can be hard to start a mainstream forum I was a founding member of what was called live to shoot great forum and great group of people but it did not last the sands of time. lost it's steam and then closed down. I am sure some here have seen my posts in other forums I always go by the same handle so if we all work carefully on this I think we can make it float. Maybe we can brainstorm it a bit do you have facebook for the site maybe that will gain some more exposure as well. just thinkin is all.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:It has been almost 90 days and we have gained less than a member per day. Two thirds of the small group that has registered has not posted. What do you think?
You sound like you're getting ready to throw in the towel.

Is the board successful or showing reasonable prospects of being successful?
As the founder and financier of the board I guess it depends on what YOUR definition of success is.
SUCCESS: What has been achieved measured against the yardstick of YOUR goals in setting up the board with respect to timeline expectations?
If you just wanted a place to come and chat about our Rossis without being pounded into the ground or lynched we're there.
If the goal was to attract a lot of big time sponsors I definitely don't see Brownells, Davidsons, Barnes, or Hornady on the title strip yet.
If it was to create a big customer base for commercial enterprise you have a long ways to go.
I'm at a disadvantage because I don't know what your short term/long term motives and goals were in creating this place........I think that's why most answered "who knows?" in the poll.
Essentially it's up to YOU to decide........this isn't a democracy. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
TearDropFan

Post by TearDropFan »

I came to this site to learn about the Circuit Judge. I was excited to read about Ranch Dog's testing of this carbine. I posted, explaining what my disability was and why I was interested in this carbine. I asked intelligent questions regarding the gun and thanked Ranch Dog for performing all of the tests. I also commented that I didn't understand the technicalities of his test protocol, but was inspired to continue to read and learn. I asked about speed loaders and tactical lights and lasers for the purpose of self defense. I had already read and saw many reviews of the Circuit Judge and none of them came to the same conclusion as Ranch Dog came to. I went out of my way to be respectful and polite, but my post went without a comment. It seems he was too busy pounding hundreds of rounds through the gun in a 12 hour period with the clear desire to trash the gun without regard to the shooter who might benefit from it's life saving ability.

You may as well throw in the towel as you only seem to be interested in the technical aspect of the Rossi line of guns and not of the people who buy them and the uses they have for them. I would like to thank Meirbubba from Grants Pass for supplying information about the CJ and the Stock Doctor for me. Other than that, this board doesn't seem to be very friendly toward the casual shooter. Just my 2 cents.

Clyde from California
"I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've traveled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won't fall down."
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I personally enjoy the RR forum and would like it to continue but it ain't up to me. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
phonejack

Post by phonejack »

Well, on another forum some time back someone posted that a small percentage of the shooters supply most of the posts,particulary when it comes to complaints. The vast majority are quietly at the range or in the field happily using "theirs". My M92 that I bought 2 mos. ago is my first Rossi. Yes, it has some quality issues that polishing could remedy. If that was done at the factory the cost of the rifle would probably keep a lot of people from buying them. Me,I don't care, I am having too much fun shooting mine.
This is also a time of the year when "free" time for ourselves is limited. After work , honey-do's, spring cleaning outside and then children's after school activities are completed there isn't much time left for ourselves. YOU DO PUT THE NEEDS OF YOUR CHILDREN AND YOUR WIVES FIRST,DON'T YOU? This means fewer gun related posts. I have seen a drop-off in posts in 2 Ruger and a Smith-Wesson forum. So, this is not a good time of the year if the number of posts is what is important.
As a retired small business owner I will tell you how to determine if this forum will succeed. When the "start-up" money is gone and it has to stand on its own will be that determination. That's why all of those "dot-com" companies failed back in the '90's.
Posts that are positive as opposed to negative will attract vendors and advertisors. This will help the site succeed. Simple fact in the business world. Just my 2+ cents
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

I do some lurking here but every time I want to respond to a post I have to log in despite always telling the site to remember me. I have about all the bases covered with my Marlin rifles and so far have resisted buying a Rossi.

Will the site make it through these beginning days? I don't know. What I do know is that I see a lot of lever guns being used at matches but only a few of these are Rossi's or Henry's even though the Henry's are much more popular that the Rossi brand. Lever action silhouette is dominated by Marlin and Winchester rifles some of which are family heirlooms.

So to sum it up, although I would like to have a M92 in 357 to tinker with I just can't see myself buying one at this time. I will still visit here for the input and knowledge, an example would be Ranch Dogs informative, honest review of the Circuit Judge.

Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:You sound like you're getting ready to throw in the towel.
No, just curious what you guys thought.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

TearDropFan wrote:It seems he was too busy pounding hundreds of rounds through the gun in a 12 hour period with the clear desire to trash the gun without regard to the shooter who might benefit from it's life saving ability.
That, my fellow member, is not true. I wanted the rifle to work out, I am in it $500 and I'm still in it $500 as it sits on a consignment rack. I pounded the rounds through it because that is what I do. That is what a reloader does. I worked with starting and max loads with two powders with two different bullets. I actually had to shoot twice what I would normally shoot during the initial testing because I wanted to go back through the rifle and loads to give the firearm a fair shake.

I didn't go back and comment on your intended use with the changes and additions you are interested in because I feel that is outside of my experience, rifles for self defense, and it has been addressed in another post.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Come on guys.......it's a forum......you're going to hear opinions that are not commensurate with your own......that's what discussion is all about.
It can be disheartening to hear someone make unfavorable comments about a new gun you just bought but it's just an opinion and remember it's your opinion that counts when it comes to your guns.
You gotta quit being so sensitive. If you thinks the flying shrapnel is bad on the RR forum it's relatively tame here.
There's verbal IEDs going off all the time on some of the other boards like the Marlin Owners board for instance.
Especially if you're an out-of-the-closet Rossi owner. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA