What do you think?

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!

Do you think this forum is going to make it?

Poll ended at 10 May 2012 22:12

Who knows
63%
Sure it will
38%
I doubt it
No votes

Total votes: 8

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: What do you think?

Post by pricedo »

Ridgerunner665 wrote:It takes time...and the further downhill Marlin goes that faster Rossi will become more popular...that's not to say Rossi isn't a fine firearm, just that they have to fill a niche that developed as a result of Remington buying Marlin.

Marlin was the icon of lever rifles for a loooooong time (well, along with Winchester)...it'll take a while for Rossi to catch up, but it will happen.

Also, being a forum of narrow scope (just Rossi)...they seem to take a while to grow, but they generally attract a very dedicated crowd...what they lack in quantity, they make up for with quality.

I haven't been around here much myself but now that I have gotten the hang of Swype on this phone I'll probably be posting more...heck, I haven't been very active on any forums lately except Android forums...learning the finer points of this phone...now I'm addicted to the darn thing, LOL.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX!
I frankly don't know how the new Remlin factory in NYS is doing.
I haven't been looking at any new Marlins lately to see where the new factory and its team are on the learning curve.
Some gun types lend themselves to automated processes and a minimum of hands on finishing is required to produce a product of acceptable quality.
Leverguns are not in the above group and to produce a quality product is a labor intensive process.
Even with CNC machining if you have a bunch of unskilled (uncaring), minimum wage workers "throwing" the parts together on an assembly line you're going to wind up with the substandard junk we've been seeing on the racks.
Will we ever see Remlins the quality of RDs "JM" era .444 on the racks again?
I doubt it.
I know I'm going to have to see a marked improvement from the first runs of Remlin leverguns before I'd even consider buying one.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

Being a die-hard MarlinNut, seeing the quality deterioration of Marlin lever actions has been a tough pill for me to swallow. I'm looking at Rossi's, but just haven't convinced myself that I need some. Excepting the 338ME, I own 336's in every caliber (not model, caliber) that Marlin ever produced and, of course, a bunch of triple-fours and 1895's. So, I've got plenty to keep me busy. If I find a quality 338Me, I'll snatch it up as well.

Dan
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

I found this site while searching for information about the Rio Grande. From what I've seen, I think that Rossi rifles will become more popular in a short period of time, and this site will grow also. You've done a great job at setting up this site, hang in there and I'm sure it'll grow quite a bit bigger by next hunting season. :D
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Well I am part of a major majority here in a South American country. I get to access my Rossi's and other tools 6 months out of a 3 year period.
But I enjoy this board due to the shooter imput about a descent firearm. I glean what info applies to me and will put it to use. So for the basic 45 Colt info secured on a few loads to try and especially the mechanical imput on the rifle I like this place and plan to hang around.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Dan 444 wrote:Being a die-hard MarlinNut, seeing the quality deterioration of Marlin lever actions has been a tough pill for me to swallow. I'm looking at Rossi's, but just haven't convinced myself that I need some. Excepting the 338ME, I own 336's in every caliber (not model, caliber) that Marlin ever produced and, of course, a bunch of triple-fours and 1895's. So, I've got plenty to keep me busy. If I find a quality 338Me, I'll snatch it up as well.

Dan
Marlin and the Ilion, New York factory employees are on a steep learning curve. We need to cut them some slack.
We didn't finish high school in a day. We're animals not machines that can be programed to perform new tasks in seconds.
CNC machining tools take time to learn to program and use.
The Remlin I bought a couple of weeks ago isn't a great gun but it's a good, functional gun and apparently a lot better than the junk that Marlin was producing just after the Cereberus/Remington takeover.
My new Remlin is a B- in comparison to the A+ of my 1970s vintage model 336 in .35 Remington with obvious differences in fit & finish & w/m fit apparent.
Hopefully the guns coming out of the new factory will continue to improve. I'm sure they will.
With their big competitor Winchester practically gone (nobody wants to pay the ridiculous prices for the Japchesters) the sky is the limit for Marlin to become THE domestic producer of leverguns.
Let's keep in mind that Marlin rifles aren't Holland & Hollands or Westley Richards and were never intended to be. They are and always were an economy levergun that sells for < $1000.
It's just that the old JM gang had been building guns for so long that they were definitely punching well above their weight class in the quality department.
Practice makes perfect and a hundred years of practice makes for a damn good gun for the buck (double meaning fully intentional).
Anybody who is smart enough to have learned their trade (pilot, engineer, teacher, truck driver, heavy equipment operator, electrician, auto mechanic, you name it) in a day can keep hammering the Remlin crew if you like but I am going to cut them some slack.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Just found this thread. Someone over at Marlin Owners pointed this site out to me (after having said numerous times that I like my Rossis). One of the reasons that Marlin Owners did so well in the beginning was that we were all refugees from the recently closed Marlin factory forum, "Marlin Talk". The audience was already there and looking for a place to meet. Larry and the guys provided it.

I'm an administrator at a flight simulation forum, one of the top three ones. We started out small like this concentrating on one aspect of the FS world and by keeping things simple and helpful, we slowly built our active membership to where we are today. The membership is what makes a forum. One thing that will turn members off is the allowing of unruly behavior and a lack of civility. That doesn't seem to be a problem here and I hope that RR never goes there. Our cardinal rule at the FS forum is "Let being helpful be more important than being right" which I think is sound advice on most anything.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but I'm here for the long haul so it don't matter.

Willy
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

I got pointed here from another forum. One idea to get more people here is next time you strip down any of your Rossi's you should do a picture by picture walk through on it. In my travels of finding out how to strip and put back together my m92 I couldn't find anything good other then buy Steve's dvd, and alot of other people looking for the same thing.
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I've got the Steve's Gunz DVD but I have seen a couple of decent youtube videos on the topic.
The internet and youtube are a shooter's friend.
We're going to need all the friends we can get now that Romney has handed Obama the renewed lease on the Oval Office on a silver platter. :evil:
Use Google.......I'm sure you'll find something.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Quinc wrote:I got pointed here from another forum. One idea to get more people here is next time you strip down any of your Rossi's you should do a picture by picture walk through on it. In my travels of finding out how to strip and put back together my m92 I couldn't find anything good other then buy Steve's dvd, and alot of other people looking for the same thing.
I've been thing of doing some this like this later in the year, once my business is closed, my farming is done, and some of my hunting is out of the way. It does take a bit of time to get the pictures and text together. Anyone is welcome to post this type of information.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Quinc wrote:I got pointed here from another forum. One idea to get more people here is next time you strip down any of your Rossi's you should do a picture by picture walk through on it. In my travels of finding out how to strip and put back together my m92 I couldn't find anything good other then buy Steve's dvd, and alot of other people looking for the same thing.
I've been thing of doing some this like this later in the year, once my business is closed, my farming is done, and some of my hunting is out of the way. It does take a bit of time to get the pictures and text together. Anyone is welcome to post this type of information.
A 6 year old kid could pull a 336 apart and reassemble it but not so with a 86 or 92.
JMB may have made the best & strongest levergun actions but they certainly weren't the simplest levergun actions.
Rossi threw another coupla wrenches into the works with the "Armstrong barrel bands" on their new R92s.
I pulled my Amadeo Rossi M92s (the ones without the "pigtail" bolt safeties) apart the day I bought each of them but don't recall having a problem with the barrel bands during reassembly.
Maybe the Armstrong barrel band is a Braztech R92 nuance?
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA