"Rossi Rifleman Riders"

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: "Rossi Rifleman Riders"

Post by Arroyoshark »

Well, continuing the theme that, "it's always windy when you are riding a motorcycle . . . "

Just finished unpacking from a longish moto ride in early June. Thought I'd share a few photos from the adventure. It was a rare all hwy ride for me, but it was a great ride nonetheless. I and four other riders, all old friends, converged upon Malta, MT June 1st, for a ride down U.S. Hwy 191 from Canada to Douglas, AZ. U.S. 191 is a designated route that runs border to border. I and another buddy rode north from New Mexico, while others came from California, Missouri and Wisconsin. We proceeded to ride 191 south towards the Mexican Border.

In addition to a couple of KTM Adventures, there were two Harley's, an anniversary Ultra-Glide and a late model Dyna Superglide, plus a very nice Kawi Mean Streak. It was sort of a "rolling clutter" ride, I suppose.

On the ride north from New Mexico, there was a stop at the Custer Battlefield, south of Billings, MT. After touring the site and listening to the interpretive talks, I was left with the impression that this was one monumental military "Custerfluck".
Bill at Custer sm.jpg
Custer Battlefield sm.jpg
Heading south from Malta, MT, we were again reminded that this is really big sky country !
central montana sm.jpg
U.S. 191 rolls through Yellowstone and Jackson, WY. Near the north Yellowstone entrance we stopped to watch a cow elk give birth to a calf. We discovered swollen rivers and a lot of snow and ice remaining in Yellowstone, but all roads were clear and subject to usual summer reconstruction delays.

Not all the lakes were thawed yet.
Yellowstone Lake sm.jpg
Las Tetas Grande were, well, still quite grande !
bikes at Tetons adj.jpg
Wyoming is also big and wide open country. Lots of public land. It became entirely necessary to pause and spread some lead. We had brought a few cans for reactive targets, which we removed when done.
Wyoming shoot sm.jpg
Hwy 191 passes through the Flaming Gorge, south of Rock Springs, WY.
Flaming Gorge sm.jpg
Moab Utah is a great place to explore on a bike. This pic is from Castle Valley area.
Castle Valley motos sm.jpg
After Moab, there were only three riders remaining, as the Calif. KTM rider had to get back for work, and the Dyna Superglide rider was having severe back issues. We took a slight diversion from Hwy 191 to ride down past the Goosenecks of the San Juan River and Monument Valley. This is the motorcyclist's iconic view from the road!
MonValley sm.png
We continued south on 191, with the daytime temps now getting into the low 100's. One of the greatest sport bike rides in the west is Hwy 191 from Alpine, AZ to Morenci. It rivals the Dragons tail. Unfortunately it took a toll on the Ultra Glide. It came to a halt with an electrical problem, later diagnosed as the regulator, just before the big open pit Copper mine at Morenci. We waited over 4 hours for a tow truck dispatched from Safford, AZ to come get the bike. The bike was hauled to Tucson HD dealer at a cost of $700 !
dead harley Morenci AZ sm.jpg
So now the original group of five riders was down to two riders. The following morning, one KTM and a Mean Streak arrived at the fin del Sendero.
End of line sm.jpg
We live in one of the grandest countries on the planet, and I, for one, never cease to enjoy its fantastic landscapes. Get out and Ride !
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Awesome ride great pics thanks for sharing.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Thanks AK ! now it's back to rehabbing my poor worn out house.

Sorry to hear ya had to part with your fav scoot, man. Tough break, but It will turn around for ya tho.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arroyoshark wrote:We live in one of the grandest countries on the planet, and I, for one, never cease to enjoy its fantastic landscapes. Get out and Ride !
Outstanding ending touch to your ride, thank you!
Michael
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

I used to ride. A lot of my friends still ride. Now, I mostly walk. But I remember. Cooking those hot dogs in beer is an especially good memory. And a few beers helped. The bike is the modern counterpart to he horse--that is where I was raised, with the horse. I could ride out, three days in any direction, hunt my food and camp in the outback. My biker friends still do the trip--they just do it different. Life is good.
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

Had a great fathers day gift from the kids. An adjustable timing gear for my Victory Jackpot. Now I can advance it 4 degrees to take advantage of the other mods done to it.
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

That was a great traveling post! Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

evanbly wrote:I used to ride. A lot of my friends still ride. Now, I mostly walk. But I remember. Cooking those hot dogs in beer is an especially good memory. And a few beers helped. The bike is the modern counterpart to he horse--that is where I was raised, with the horse. I could ride out, three days in any direction, hunt my food and camp in the outback. My biker friends still do the trip--they just do it different. Life is good.

Thanks for your comments and insight Evenbly. I very much appreciate the expanse and solitude of the Nevada outback as well. I've ridden dirt bikes across and up the belly of Nevada on x-country dirt bike rides to the Oregon Coast. A few times I've snuck into Nevada on a dirt road near Great Basin.
DSCF0303.jpg
Stopped to check out an old stage station I found designated on my map on west side of Patterson Pass.
DSCF0323.jpg
Beyond Preston NV, the forest roads take one up over the mountains to the old mining ghost town of Hamilton. Past Hamilton, the forest road meets up with an old two track that is marked as the original route of the Lincoln Highway (now paved U.S. 50) headed towards Eureka, NV. I was quite moved to be traveling on this old 1913 designated route, the first officially marked cross country "highway" across the U.S.A.
2009-TAT-Pics-159.jpg
North of Eureka, towards Mt. Tenabo and Crescent Valley, the only company is occasional groups of wild horses.
DSCF0355.jpg
North of Battle Mountain Nevada, I found the backcountry roads became less distinguishable.
DSCF0396.jpg
Riding this backcountry in July, water becomes just as prized as gasoline, and you don't want to run out of either. A stop at Paradise Valley bar for some refreshing and cool drinks sure restores the enthusiasm.
2009-TAT-Pics-184.jpg
After Paradise Valley, my route has taken me right up over the Santa Rosa Range in the Humbolt-Toiyabe Nat. Forest before dropping me into McDermmit, NV, at the border between Nevada and Oregon. The trail road goes right across the top of the Santa Rosa mountain range.
Garry-TAT08-pics-330.jpg
The Nevada outback is one of my all time favorite riding areas. You can go all day and not run into a single rancher, geologist, miner or another adventurer. If you enjoy this kind of solitude, then Nevada is a very satisfying place to be. It also helps if you can learn to appreciate the smell of sagebrush, which I think is the state flower.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Fullthrottle wrote:That was a great traveling post! Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!

Thanks FT ! I spent a lot of years working long hours and raising kids. Now I have more time on my hands and I devote it to playing with the shootin' irons and to exploring our great country, particularly the west.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Hey everybody, it's middle of summer and the weather is nice. Where's the RRR bikes ? Did ya cover some rallies ? Where's your ride pics ?

I ride more dirt or dual sport bikes these days, but I used to have sportsters and for many years rode a Yammy XS650 twin. Used to be a lot more road oriented.

Show us where you ride, even the day rides. I know where I ride in the southwest, but it's great to discover what it's like to ride where other riders are.

What flavors are you packin' in your tank bag, saddle bags or jacket ? I enjoy dispersed camping on bike in NM and Colorado, so I often have a sufficiently loaded .44 as precaution, in case Mr. bear wants to get at me where I'm camped. I enjoy plinking out in backcountry.
+guns

This forum needs some juice.