Greatest Cowboy Movie Ever Made

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Greatest Cowboy Movie Ever Made

Post by TinMan »

There have been many good westerns made. But The Searchers and The Shootist are both tied for the top spot......at least in my world. :!:
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
plaidad

Post by plaidad »

I have seen most of the films mentioned and liked them all. Some others that I really enjoy are the John Wayne cavalry movies - She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and Fort Apache. I also enjoyed most anything Randolph Scott was in.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm not a western film guy but do have Lonesome Dove on BluRay.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
cpt-t

Post by cpt-t »

I can`t say that I really dislike very many Western`s. But my favorite is the Wild Bunch, followed very closely by an old Burt Lancaster western called the (( Lawman )). When I watch TV 95% of the time, I am watching the Western Channel.
ken
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

plaidad wrote: I also enjoyed most anything Randolph Scott was in.

You ain't the only one either.......... +corn

+guns
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Conman

Post by Conman »

I wouldn't know where to start on picking The Best Western..

I agree with "most" of the ones mentioned. I didn't see Clark Gable in The Tall Men mentioned yet - it was a pretty good film on that era.

The wife counts The Cowboys as her favorite.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I too greatly like that movie. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
A scene few discuss, (my re enactor freinds excluded), So called Civil War scenes, to real.

Any body calls this a low bucks movie do to lack of words spoken, I say this, count Luke Skywalkers words in the latest Star Wars.

I also liked Jermiah Johnson,,,,,my kind of rifle
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Bibletotingunslinger wrote:I too greatly like that movie. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
A scene few discuss, (my re enactor freinds excluded), So called Civil War scenes, to real.

Any body calls this a low bucks movie do to lack of words spoken, I say this, count Luke Skywalkers words in the latest Star Wars.

I also liked Jermiah Johnson,,,,,my kind of rifle
Sorry, but HOPEFULLY when Star Wars VIII comes out Luke won't still be plagued with the whiney little voice of the first movies. It may have been that keeping him silent was the only way not to ruin VII. I'd say a bit more but I don't want to ruin it for anyone who is going to go see it still.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the latest Star Wars in spite of the typical Abrams style (take a known franchise/story/universe and amp up the action and dumb down the character development and background). There was a lot telegraphed in the movie and a lot that needed some extra development left unsaid. An extra 30 minutes would have made a much better show. It was still better than the enfamil Anakin episodes.

I gather that Lucas got tired of dealing with the backlash from how butchered up the Anakin trilogy was. Probably a good thing to pass the universe on to different control. With some luck we'll eventually be able to separate the honest reviews from the Disney/ABC press release machine.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I was not impressed. I'm a fan of the series. I can recite A New Hope.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm having a flashback to college where I knew someone who could recite ALL the Star Trek movies and the O.S.. (At the time, there were 4 or maybe 5 of the movies.)
You CAN NOT be him.

I once had a spirited discussion with another student where we were BOTH trying to convince the other who the most irritating person of the face of the earth was. It turned out we were both talking about the SAME Trek quoting uncoordinated undersocalized individual.

P.S. I'm going to give SW VII a pass-go in the hopes that VIII will be better and maybe a little longer or at least a little less chopped up. Not sure that the next Trek restart is going to be quite up to the recent par sans Abrams behind the camera however.