help deciding between trucks guys...

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
GasGuzzler

Re: help deciding between trucks guys...

Post by GasGuzzler »

My ten year old Sierra is worth more in trade than I paid my Dad in 2014.
I don't know from snow plows but you did well I bet.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

I rack up a lot of miles running up and down the highway for work, and am reimbursed for 80-90% of the total miles I drive. I have to have something reliable enough to drive 300-600 miles round trip at any time. I've been doing this a long time, and have tried a car a couple of times. But for my off work use, a pickup is the only thing that makes any sense.

Used truck prices are insane around here, especially since I favor toyotas. So this time I decided to buy new, first time in my life. I looked at the Toyotas, too expensive, won't deal on price, and I don't care for the new Tacoma engine. Looked at an F-150, not too keen on the aluminum body, liked it pretty well otherwise, looked at the 5.0 V8 as that is the best you can get in the low end models. GM and Chrysler ticked me off a few years ago with the bailout and won't even consider either one.

Then I drove a Nissan Titan, the new 2017 version. Wow, smooth, quiet, drives great, and POWER. The only available engine in the non XD Titan is a 390 hp 5.6L V8. 7 speed automatic, and all the electronic goodies, even I. The base model "work truck" that I bought. I have about 10K miles on it now. Getting 20-21 mpg and very happy with it.
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Ranch Dog wrote:I have a 2004 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad-Cab Long Bed with the 5.7 Hemi that I truly enjoy. Just turned 65K! My intent is to own the oldest truck in my County and that truck be in better shape than most three-year-old trucks.
I no longer even think about the 13 miles per gallon, it gets it empty or with 10,800 pounds on the trailer. Doesn't matter to it.
Update:
My truck, at 1800 miles, averages a very consistent 12.7 mpg with the 6.0 and 4.10 gears. The 36 gallon tank gives me about a 450 mile range, which is good for me!

I am real pleased with my 2500HD, plain Jane as the day is long, but that's exactly my preference!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds good!
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

And now, the final piece of the new truck puzzle begins to fall into place. My wife and I just put the deposit down on a custom-built Four Wheel Camper "pop-top" unit - which was why I bought the truck in the first place!
Yep, this is meant to be our "bug-out" vehicle/get out of town quick truck. Ready to hit the road with the dawgz and do some exploring, camping, etc. All I can say is: finally! Seems like all the financial rigamarole (if that's the way to spell that word) finally got settled.

Here's an example of a Ford 3/4 ton with the type I'm getting built. Can't wait!

Soon, I'll have no excuse to bug out for traveling to Texas or Saskatchewan!

Have fun

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice!
Michael
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Don't bump your head on the door frame top.
From the voice of experience ...
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

We had a popup truck camper back in the 80's, it was great for traveling towing our fishing boat. It was on a half ton Silverado that I had put 3/4 ton rear springs on. It had 350 EFI engine. Had it north to Temagami Ontario south to Santee-Cooper S.C. All at about 11 miles per gallon.
Have as much fun as we did!
alphalimafoxtrot

Hey guys, here for a post-winter break travel update!

My wife, 2 dawgz and I trekked northward of the Mason-Dixon Line to spend "quality time" with relatives in a farmhouse on 25 acres in southern Vermont. Awesome trip - over the 2 weeks period, average temps were -10 lows and +10 highs. Made it great for some of us to go skiing, that's for sure! Kept me and my brother-in-law occupied with the fireplace, too!

But the reason I'm here is to work in a little plug for my new Chevy 2500HD - so glad I bought this truck! So glad I opted for the 3/4 ton - the 4x4 - and the snowplow package!

1. payload in this longbed wasn't really an issue at all, but the extra height of the 3/4 ton made it feel great for the roads we traveled over
2. 4x4 was mandatory for everywhere we traveled in Vermont - all the roads were rural, lots of snow and ice
3. the snowplow package included a high-amp alternator, think it is 220 - just nice to have onboard when it's super cold and you want the extra "zap"

What else - well, my MPG has been a very consistent 13 mpg here at about 1800 miles on the truck - and runs nice and smooth, highway or country - love that.

Also, got to rescue my BIL when his Toyota couldn't make it up the mountain road to the farmhouse - will add to this story a bit later!

Have a great new year, guys!
Adam
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nothing like a good truck!
Michael