My Run Continues...

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Run Continues...

Post by Ranch Dog »

Bought a R92 chambered in 454 Casull and an RG3030. Nothing but good to say about them. Checked them over good in the shop, metal and wood plus, cycled dummy cartridges though them without a hick-up. No scratching the brass or ejection issues.

I was pleased to see that the 454 Casull was drilled and tapped for the Rossi R92 base. I have a Weaver K4 Scout that will end up it, not going to mess around with open or peep sights.

It will probably be the start of the new year beforeI actually start working with both of these rifles but I'm glad they are here and as good as the others I have.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: My Run Continues...

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote: Checked them over good in the shop, metal and wood plus, cycled dummy cartridges though them without a hick-up. No scratching the brass or ejection issues.
+1

Experience (the dearest teacher) taught me to stack the deck in my favor when buying Rossis (this policy has been extended to include 2nd generation Remlins) with a thorough pre-purchase inspection including cycling of dummy rounds.
When a dealer won't let me do this after explaining to him beforehand what I want to do I figure there is something about the gun he doesn't want me to see or find & I abandon the purchase before the greenbacks or plastic hit the counter.
Fate is like a big sleeping pit bull .........if you are careful & don't tempt it it won't bite you in the backside.
Check em out before you buy em.
For the price of Rossi guns to remain relatively low QC isn't going to get any better......it CAN'T .......IT COSTS TOO MUCH.
Hand fitting & finishing is ultra expensive & isn't & will never be part of the manufacturing process of budget firearms.

You gotta be proactive & stack the odds in your favor.
Don't buy em sight unseen........but I've only been doing it since the early 80's so what do I know :?: +blah
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:Bought a R92 chambered in 454 Casull and an RG3030. Nothing but good to say about them. Checked them over good in the shop, metal and wood plus, cycled dummy cartridges though them without a hick-up. No scratching the brass or ejection issues.

I was pleased to see that the 454 Casull was drilled and tapped for the Rossi R92 base. I have a Weaver K4 Scout that will end up it, not going to mess around with open or peep sights.

It will probably be the start of the new year beforeI actually start working with both of these rifles but I'm glad they are here and as good as the others I have.
Good news that you can buy a new Rossi unseen and not have major headaches, gives me hope! Will be looking forward to your impressions of these new ones after the new year...

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Is the shop being spoken of the gun store or RDs workshop at home........I took it to be the shop where RD bought the gun :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:I took it to be the shop where RD bought the gun :?:
Yes, it was in the gun store. I've actually bought all the rifles sight unseen except the CJ4510 and the latest RG3030B. All the others have been bought online or ordered specifically through this shop. Four have come through Davidson's dealer network, and about as many have been through FFLs on GunBroker. Only the R92 480 Ruger was used and it was through a gun shop on GunBroker. All have allowed an inspection when the rifles arrived as long as they were not disassembled and a return if unsatisfied as long as the rifle is not disassembled. All of the rifles have been looked over with a fine eye and have had dummy cartridges cycled through them in the shop before the paperwork was started.

Pricedo has covered the look see in a number of posts but it takes a few moments is all. No bugger screws or bad metal. No wood cracks or bad fit against the metal. I use a bore light to look inside the action, chamber, and down the barrel. The view down the barrel is tough in that the Rossi's have so much preservative in them but I have come to trust their barrel and chamber work. Before putting the dummy cartridges in the magazine, I slide a cartridge in the chamber to see if it will go in and come out. I then try one through the gate and then cycled through. I load up three and repeat.

I do not care too much about the look of the wood, just don't give a rip as they are all going to be refinished down the road. All of my rifles look great and all I'm looking for is fit, cracks, and no knots in the grain.

The only given I have is that I will need to adjust the R92 barrel band screw relief and forearm fit. I've gotten very good at that!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:I took it to be the shop where RD bought the gun :?:
Yes, it was in the gun store. I've actually bought all the rifles sight unseen except the CJ4510 and the latest RG3030B. All the others have been bought online or ordered specifically through this shop. Four have come through Davidson's dealer network, and about as many have been through FFLs on GunBroker. Only the R92 480 Ruger was used and it was through a gun shop on GunBroker. All have allowed an inspection when the rifles arrived as long as they were not disassembled and a return if unsatisfied as long as the rifle is not disassembled. All of the rifles have been looked over with a fine eye and have had dummy cartridges cycled through them in the shop before the paperwork was started.

Pricedo has covered the look see in a number of posts but it takes a few moments is all. No bugger screws or bad metal. No wood cracks or bad fit against the metal. I use a bore light to look inside the action, chamber, and down the barrel. The view down the barrel is tough in that the Rossi's have so much preservative in them but I have come to trust their barrel and chamber work. Before putting the dummy cartridges in the magazine, I slide a cartridge in the chamber to see if it will go in and come out. I then try one through the gate and then cycled through. I load up three and repeat.

I do not care too much about the look of the wood, just don't give a rip as they are all going to be refinished down the road. All of my rifles look great and all I'm looking for is fit, cracks, and no knots in the grain.

The only given I have is that I will need to adjust the R92 barrel band screw relief and forearm fit. I've gotten very good at that!
I'll accept wood cracks and poor fit and finish if the retailer is willing to drop a couple of hundred or so in price........bin there & done that before......as long as the receiver, barrel & other metal infrastructure is OK..........I can fix wood problems pretty quick........not a Rossi 92 wood problem I haven't seen before at one time or the other.

I won't waste time on the Rossi Customer Service people cause I personally think they're a waste of time..........long turn around times for botched repair jobs.......if the gun is unfixable by me ........NO SALE !
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA