Rossi 92 Carbine goes for a repair.

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
dalek

Re: Rossi 92 Carbine goes for a repair.

Post by dalek »

So I got an email saying from FedEx saying it had been delivered. And by delivered it meant they left it on my door. Good thing it was not, say, a firearm. :roll:

Here is a picture of the box and the inside packaging. The carbine is still wrapped; it is the longer wad of brown paper. There is another wad of paper still stuck on the bottom of the box; my arm is not that long and I am too lazy to stick something in it to fish the wad. :oops:
and the carbine out of it, orange zip tie still in place:
The handguard seemed to have been replaced as I had applied lineseed oil on the wood. The buttstock was still what I sent. And, let's get into what really matters: they did replace the barrel. Inside it looks brand new. What looks likes a bit of grinding right on the bottom edge of the chamber looks like a ramp:
ImageImage
It looks dirty inside, but they did test it out with 18 rounds of ammo:
After the pictures were taken, I decided to repeat the same test I did where it would not load a single 38 special snap cap. And this time, it loaded fine. I also will note that the lever action felt much smoother/lighter than when I sent to then.

So far so good. I am yet to test fire it but I am feeling quite pleased with the turnaround time, the work done, and how it feels right now.
Last edited by dalek on 11 Nov 2016 05:39, edited 2 times in total.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Awesome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Is the top chamber pic the way you got it back?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Too bad they didn't return some spent brass samples. Maybe they are in that wad of paper, might be worth opening the other end of the box to find out.
Michael
dalek

Post by dalek »

GasGuzzler wrote:Is the top chamber pic the way you got it back?
Yep.
Ranch Dog wrote:Too bad they didn't return some spent brass samples. Maybe they are in that wad of paper, might be worth opening the other end of the box to find out.
Not a bad idea. :idea: I did not bother because I did not expect a manufacturer to sent the spent brass with the firearm.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I think I'd get some spent brass from it as soon as possible.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
dalek

Post by dalek »

That's the plan. I have been able to go to a range to test drive it yet.
dalek

Post by dalek »

So I took it to do some testing. Ammo I bought was
Two boxes of Perfecta: one in .357 158gr and one in .38pecial. Note the bullet shapes.
Some 15 rounds of LAX munition (reload). Note the flat is larger than in the Perfecta and the sides are more rounded (almost like they took the 38Special perfecta bullet and chopped its end).

I ran 5 rounds of each slow fire and then 5 more in fast fire. Since I had 5 more of the LAX loose, I later on shot those. In slow fire, all of them loaded and fired without a hitch. In rapid -- as fast as someone who never shot a lever action anything fast -- the LAX seemed to get trapped just as it was about to load. But if you held it there for a few seconds it would pop loose and get in. I take it is smacking the brass lip somewhere; more of that later.

I did notice that while the .357 empty shells looks clean, the 38Special had a bit of burn deposits on the mouth. Can I assume that is because of the different case lenghts?
Here is another view of the same brass. Note the nick (shiny bit) on the lip. I also noticed that in some degree in most of the brass. Since I did not have a sharpie or some other pen with me, I could not figure out where in respect to the vertical in the cartridge that is happening.

While operating the lever I did not feel at any time I was fighting with it: it did move smoothly and lightly besides when it jammed with the LAX in rapid fire.

Comments?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Probably length but could also be lower pressure is not expanding the brass enough to completely seal the chamber. How do the 357 cases look? No bulges I hope.

In both my 92s 357 and 45C light plinking load result in smoked cases. I think it's a combination of low pressure and larger chambers. Although, checking fired cases they measure under max by enough that I don't let it bother me.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I will go with the lighter pressures of the 38 Spl not expanding the case quick enough. Very common. I'm wondering about the shape of the cases at the web?
Michael