Really bad Rossi warranty repair experience

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
DAardvark

Re: Really bad Rossi warranty repair experience

Post by DAardvark »

I read some of the Rossi BBB complaints (there are only 20) and they sound a lot like my experience. Not many go on as long as mine, but I suspect I am in a nasty crack with my desire to not take a replacement of a lesser value. I am both obstinant and patient which is playing against me right now. My plan today is to wait until September and see where I am. Until then, I've been trying to find out if there is any "reasonable" timeframe for a warranty repair and building a small claims court case. Since a comparable replacement isn't available, I don't believe they can blame me for the delay. I will file the BBB complaint too. I wish I could call it theft but I sent the gun to them voluntarily so this is some form of corporate incompetence.

Rossi CS offered me a 45-70 replacement and I went to the Rossi web site and I couldn't find any 45-70. I also couldn't find one in the 2015 catalog. I am tempted by a 45-70. I went all in on 454 Casull and have a complete reloading setup for it. My press is a Dillon, and gearing up fully about doubles the gun cost. I don't mind since I shoot to justify reloading. But if you never get the gun, it's a double ouch.

The BBB complaints reinforce something every Rossi new gun buyer should keep in mind. Once Rossi discontinues production, support for the gun dwindles fast. I got my 454 new in Dec, about 1 year after it was discontinued. Likely a worst case scenario. Had I to do over, I now know the best solution was to take it to a gunsmith and pay for the repair. That is a hard pill to swallow on a defective NIB rifle.
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

Hang in their. I would do the same. I have two Taurus "Gaucho" revolvers, that have been discontinued, and I here the same about them. They can't repair, or replace them, and the inard mechanisms are not interchangeable with any single action Colts, or clones. So i am care full with them. They are .357 Mag, and compliment my R-92 in the same calibre. I would not send them back for any thin, along with my 4 R-92s.
Hang in their.

barracudadave67
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The 45-70 Govt would be the Rio Grande which was discontinued the year before the R92 454 Casull was. Still they are hard to come by and it would probably sell for about what the Casull would.

The RG4570B was the first Rossi rifle I bought and I remain very happy with it. I don't hunt it much, killed a couple of whitetails and hogs with it, but I bought it as a lighter alternative to the Marlin 1895s I was using for nilgai. In that role it has performed well.

There is not much conversation about any of the RGs, especially the 45-70 as you just don't see them offered any more, but a search of that forum should bring up info or just ask.

I would durn sure want some statement from them that the RG4570 was 100% and not something left over from a customer claim like you are experiencing!
Michael
DAardvark

Post by DAardvark »

I got a call from Rossi on 8/31 and was delivered some bad news. I am sure this won't surprise anybody, but the SS 454 Casull on the shipping manifest failed to materialize. They looked on forward manifests and it doesn't look good to ever see a replacement. On the heels of that bad news, Rossi said that my situation was a special case and warranted a refund. This solution, I was reminded is unprecedented as they don't give refunds for firearms.

The crazy thing is that Rossi decided to rub a little salt in the wound. They agreed to repay me for the gun purchase, but absolutely refused to repay my FFL transfer fee of $25. That small $ amount irks me a lot more than it should. I agreed to the refund on their terms, but it just seems like they hit me with the door on my way out.

Now I have quite an investment in reloading supplies and hardware for the 454 Casull. At least some of it is in use building my 45 Colt rounds. At least 45 Colt takes some of that sting out. And Ranch Dog, I would love a Rossi RG 45-70. I just didn't consider it a fair trade in this situation. Funny you should mention testing the firearm. I was prepared with a speech for Rossi when they called to demand a full 8+1 round live fire test of the new 454. In both 45 Colt and 454 Casull even. My trust is a little low.

The latest as of today from Rossi. They accepted my receipt and submitted it to their claims department. A check should be cut within 20 days and then customer service will mail it to me. Thus, I continue to wait and hope that some new kink doesn't cause even this to fail. If I am lucky, by October, this ordeal that started with an online purchase 11/25/2015 will be over.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It is absolutely incredible that they let this go on so long and thank you for documenting these frustrating facts.

So... what you gon'na buy to replace it?
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Sucks really.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
DAardvark

Post by DAardvark »

Ranch Dog, I just moved to MS and hunting is a big deal here. So much so that I was pleasantly surprised that last weekend was the 2nd amendment sales tax holiday. I thought GA was into firearms, but a State sales tax holiday on guns, ammunition and gun accessories like scopes; wow!

You guessed it, I bought a 7mm-08 Browning X-Bolt. With the scope and sling it exceeds my anticipated Rossi refund by about $400. Sighted it in at 100yds yesterday and I have a lot to learn about scoped rifle shooting. I have about a 1" spread at 100 yards. More excuses to shoot is never bad is it.

What's worse is that I shoot to reload. So yes, I had to go all-in on 7mm-08 and get setup to reload. I have everything now except the CFE 223 powder I plan to use. My tally for reloading supplies is more than the gun. I give you my permission to think of me as a nut!

To make things worse (from my wife's perspective), I remain on the hunt for a replacement 454 Casull carbine. I really want one and I am geared up to reload for it. At some point, the stars will line up just right...I hope.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It is great to hear that you hit the ground running with the 7mm-08 and if you keep your ears and eyes open, you will probably land a R92 454 Casull sometime in the future. At least you know what not to look for!

Great to hear about MS. It doesn't get better than that!
Michael
Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

You have all the components, check out this evil recoiling Ruger! :mrgreen:
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It is bad enough in the Rossi, I just can't see it in a revolver.
Michael