44 mag sent off for a fixin

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
Wyowind

44 mag sent off for a fixin

Post by Wyowind »

First off, howdy from Wyoming. This is my official first post on this forum. I read several forums but seldom chip in. Never sure that what I have to say is much more valuable than the others that are already in the mix.
Got the bug for a lever gun and Rossi was in my budget. I love the looks of those stainless beauties but fell instead for a case-hardened, 20 inch, octagonal barrel, 44 mag. I already reload for a 44 wheel gun so the caliber was an easy choice.
Anyway, as some others have found, the rifle doesn't always cycle right out of the box. Since this was a brand new rifle, with a 1 year warranty, I decided to test Rossi's factory service. So after a mere dozen or so rounds down range, off she goes. I already miss her. :cry:
This post will be a place marker of sorts. I sent it by pre-paid Fed Ex (courtesy of Rossi) today 1/4/2016. The guy on the phone, from Rossi, was efficient. The downside was the 35 minute -on hold time- to talk with a rep.
Will let you all know how my repair experience goes by updating to this post.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: 44 mag sent off for a fixin

Post by golfish »

Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask what the problem was with your rifle?
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Howdy from South Carolina, and welcome to the forum.

Good luck with the repair.
Wyowind

Post by Wyowind »

It was't cycling the cartridge into the chamber. Maybe 1 in 10 would actually load correctly. I took it apart and did some cleaning of old, factory lube. I also performed some minimal slicking-up of the action. None of my actions improved the cycling. It looked like my cartridge was at too steep of angle. I think the cartridge guides would need adjustment. It was also leaving some gouges on my shell at the 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. Maybe because it was hanging up on the chamber mouth. I figured it would be best to allow Rossi the honor of honing around the chamber and or improving the ramp, if necessary. Thanks for the welcome.
meanc

Post by meanc »

When you get it back, please share how they handled it and how it functions. Have the same problem with my 357mag. Just recv'd mine new a week ago. If they fix yours satisfactorily, I'll probably do the same.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the for forum! Hopefully Rossi will adjust just the cartridge guides as they are what control how quickly the cartridge becomes level. I would not want them to do anything to the chamber. Any relief will cause the chamber to become unsupported at the web of the case.
Michael
Wyowind

Post by Wyowind »

Meanc- that's part of my reasoning for starting the post. I want to share with everyone how Rossi is currently handling the warranty. I'm optimistic that it will work out well. No doubt it will take longer than I'd like. The phone rep gave me an average time frame of 6-8 weeks.

Ranch Dog- thanks for the welcome. I know what you mean about the chamber and headspace issues. I hope that's not a problem but there were some pretty good gouges on my casings. I mic-ed them to make sure everything was within SAAMI specs so the cases weren't the issue. I even roll crimped a little extra on a couple to see if that would do it. That might of helped a bit but, still very poor cycling overall.

Can't wait to get her back and put some rounds - down - range. +guns
Wyowind

Post by Wyowind »

To help provide a fair representation of Rossi's warranty service, I'm going to set-up some standards to measure the process.  I'll grade the standards by the old grade-school ( A-F ) report card.  The standards as follows:

1). Initial Contact: (B)The phone rep was great and efficient.  However the wait time to talk with a rep was 35 minutes.

2) Shipping time / Notification by Rossi :

3). Turn around time for repair( was quoted 6-8 weeks which is probably a little long but will call it reasonable ):

4) Shipping time back to me or any incidents involved after repair such as poor packaging or incidents not covered by shipping insurance:

5) The repair itself:

6) Cosmetic appearance, did they cause any wear or tear :

7)Extra Credit   - going above/beyond requested service :

*** I realize that much of the shipping is out of Rossi's hands so it isn't as heavily weighted in my final grade.  However, in their favor is the pre-paid shipping label(s).  I forgot to ask the factory rep about shipping insurance and Fed Ex couldn't tell me if it was insured or not. I tried to add insurance but Fed Ex said it wasn't possible with a pre paid label.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Good idea for some members (Rossi could care less about my old units) as long as you just post up what happens. Members will assign their own grades I'm sure.

Great idea.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Wyowind

Post by Wyowind »

The rifle arrived today at Rossi, according to Fed Ex tracking. Rossi's tracking mechanism on their web site doesn't indicate they have received it yet. So, By my standards for grading Rossi, as indicated above - "2) Shipping time / Notification by Rossi[/u] :" are being graded from today 1/11/2016. Since they are not indicating the rifle has arrived yet, they will be getting less than an "A" on this category. According to Fed Ex, the Rifle was delivered to them around 1030 a.m.