1st range report R92 454

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
pnw

1st range report R92 454

Post by pnw »

After 6 months of Taurus "saga" (see my post in the CS section) I finally got my R92 to the range for the first time yesterday. The idea was to do a functional check before installing a softer ejector spring & action job. I did flush some small metal flakes out of the action, barrel, and mag tube. I lubed and cycled the action 500 times, but didn't "drop" the hammer...everything was working pretty smoothly.

To save brass, I blocked ejection with my hand and accidentally knocked a few cases back down in the action but, other than that, it seemed to cycle both 454 and 45 Colt well. It didn't shoot high as I've seen others report but a little to the left...no problem. Even with +P 45 Colt, the rear sight elevator changed position every couple of shots. Since I'd already decided to install better sights, that wouldn't be a problem either...so far so good.

Trouble started about round 15 when I noticed the screw holding the forearm to the barrel began backing out of the band. The screw had sheared, either under the stress of firing or when the rifle was assembled. I removed the forearm by knocking out the front sight but couldn't find a way to get the threaded part of the screw out of the band...and it was just long enough to hold the band on the forearm. So, I called Taurus CS to get a replacement forearm, band, and screw. I had problems getting a good rifle from them for the previous 6 months but, even though I offered to pay for the parts in advance, the jerks still refused to send replacements before they received the originals! So, I'm off the FedEx again tomorrow...this time on my dime since they wouldn't even email a return label for the parts.

I'll report back after I receive the repair parts, but you can bet I've purchased my last Taurus/Rossi!
Last edited by pnw on 04 Jun 2014 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 1st range report R92 454

Post by akuser47 »

Dang talk about getting bad hands in poker. I hope they will get it to you fast. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Snakebit. When they are good they are good but when they are bad...

Please let us know how long this takes, I will move it the CS stuff. I don't think I would take the rifle out of the box on return, it would be at my FFL as a consignment so fast! You have the patience of Jobe!
Michael
pnw

Post by pnw »

Turnaround for replacements was actually quick...less than a week. However, after 6 months to get a good rifle (kit), I am still pi$$ed that I had to send in the original parts to get replacements.

Of course the new parts didn't fit. Had to slightly enlarge the holes in the forearm and take a tiny bit out of the barrel with a jewelers file...fortunately no additional depth but about .025 on the front side of the Rossi relief.