mea culpa (my fault)

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
Caribouriver

mea culpa (my fault)

Post by Caribouriver »

Around the first of the year I picked up a 92 in .44. It would not extract or eject. Called Rossi and sent it back. They installed a new forcing cone and adjusted the extractor. It worked. I was really pleased and described all this in an earlier post.

In the process of taking it apart to apply Tru-Oil on all the wood, I took off the forearm. I could not get the screw to thread into the band. My hands are pretty arthritic and I doubt I could put much more than about 30 lbs of pressure on the screwdriver. I eased the mag tube and barrel notches ever so slightly with a round file. Slipped together. Happy camper. Or so I thought.

After about 40 rounds, I noticed the mag tube had worked its way about 5/8" past the muzzle. DRAT! I was surprised to see that the mag plug screw had escaped captivity. When I looked closer, I saw that the "hole" in the barrel wasn't a hole at all. More like a slash or divot. It would prevent forward and back movement but when the mag tube rotated slightly under recoil, out came the plug screw tip from the divot. And so began the mag tube's journey forward.

A have a friend who was a machinist for the Navy in WWII. He took pity on me and offered to fix it. He made a new lower band screw that had a fatter shank where it passed through the barrel/mag tube notches (which I had enlarged slightly in length). Armond cut the band's metric threads on the end of the screw and made it a little bit longer so about 4 threads engaged instead of the original 2. Then he moved to the muzzle. He made a flat bottomed drill and bored a shallow hole into the barrel where the divot was. Then he made a bushing that OD fit into that hole with a center ID hole that matched the magazine plug screw. Then he contoured the other end of the bushing to fit the radius of the mag plug. I'll have to take out a second mortgage to pay him.

The moral of the story is one I come across too many times to count. Sometimes going for that last 5% of perfection is NOT worth it. I could have put a fine Tru-Oil finish on and NOT removed the forearm. That is what I wish I had done. I'm really too old to make the same mistake over and over. Ha Ha :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ddj

Re: mea culpa (my fault)

Post by ddj »

I also took all the wood off of mine to do a refinish. It came a part with out any problem but I do remember having some difficulty in getting all the screws to re-align. I finally got it but it was a problem I wasn't expecting
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank goodness for a good friend! Honestly, Rossi ought to be doing that 5%. The items you experience problems with should have been corrected back in the production runs many moons ago.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

just wondering about the first post in the thread .... what is a "forcing cone" on an R92?

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

At least you got it fixed and it is RIGHT even if it isn't quite factory.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:just wondering about the first post in the thread .... what is a "forcing cone" on an R92
I'm with you JD, I thought about this sometime during the night and this is the post I wanted to return to first thing this morning. If this is what Caribouriver's repair invoice indicated, I would need an a better explanation as such a thing on a R92 does not exist.
Michael
Caribouriver

Post by Caribouriver »

I'm with you JD and Michael. I thought forcing cones were on revolvers. I didn't quite understand that but that was what was written on the Rossi repair summary. My friend Armond, (the machinist) that made these recent repairs, said that the chamber was all scratched. Since one of the original problems was failure to extract - the case would come half way out and then the extractor would "pop" off - I'm thinking that maybe Rossi reamed out the chamber a bit. The repair summary said: "replace forcing cone". Maybe that's code for reaming out the chamber. I don't know. The chamber scratches don't appear to be transferred to shell casings. I'll try out the recent modifications when I next get time to go to the range.
Thanks
joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Caribouriver wrote:I'm with you JD and Michael. I thought forcing cones were on revolvers. I didn't quite understand that but that was what was written on the Rossi repair summary. My friend Armond, (the machinist) that made these recent repairs, said that the chamber was all scratched. Since one of the original problems was failure to extract - the case would come half way out and then the extractor would "pop" off - I'm thinking that maybe Rossi reamed out the chamber a bit. The repair summary said: "replace forcing cone". Maybe that's code for reaming out the chamber. I don't know. The chamber scratches don't appear to be transferred to shell casings. I'll try out the recent modifications when I next get time to go to the range.
Part of the problem I see with letting RossiUSA work on a levergun is that it is the TaurusUSA guys that do the repairs. What levergun experience they have has been learned on the bench and I doubt they have any interest or use leverguns outside their work. Anybody that would use "forcing cone" in reference to a R92 doesn't have a clue what they are working on. My worry would be that they "ramped" the chamber like they would a semi-auto to ease chambering and extraction. We have seen examples of this here on the forum.
Michael
Caribouriver

Post by Caribouriver »

I agree with what you said in an earlier post Michael. It makes no sense that Rossi's QC would tolerate such a high frequency of manufacturing defects cropping up. It seems to me that the problems I have experienced are not complicated and could have been avoided with just a little more care in the original manufacture. If increased QC avoided the problems I experienced, I would have gladly paid more for the rifle.
Thanks.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I asked that same question the last time it cropped up on the forum when the service order returned with the gun (maybe this same rifle?) was posted here.

Nobody seemed to know what the heck it was supposed to mean then either.