mea culpa (my fault)

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
Caribouriver

Re: mea culpa (my fault)

Post by Caribouriver »

I personally have nothing but praise for the fairly prompt and courteous treatment I received from Rossi/Taurus CS in Miami. They paid for shipping both ways and fixed the problems I listed at the time. The people I dealt with on email and on the phone were terrific. My gripe is with their manufacturing facility in Brazil. There are well known, well documented and not uncommon deficiencies in their manufacturing process. Simple stuff like holes not lining up. It does not seem sensible to not correct a known fault. Whatever small cost to bring up QC could be tacked on to the selling price and pay dividends in customer satisfaction and pride of ownership. Plus the savings of NOT having to repair defective product. I have owned this 92 for only 3 months. It was out for repairs for over a month. It has been to the range three times and not once has it come back from the range without a problem. No doubt I have voided the remaining warranty by having non Rossi repairs performed. But, with a little luck, it will now be reliable now. I really like the weight, balance, caliber and accuracy of this 92. I just wish it could have been a little less aggravating :!: Attached is the repair order and its pesky barrel forcing cone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

so, did they replace the barrel?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Caribouriver

Post by Caribouriver »

I don't know if they replaced the barrel. . They did include a test target. Does that mean they replaced the barrel?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Caribouriver wrote:I personally have nothing but praise for the fairly prompt and courteous treatment I received from Rossi/Taurus CS in Miami. They paid for shipping both ways and fixed the problems I listed at the time. The people I dealt with on email and on the phone were terrific. My gripe is with their manufacturing facility in Brazil. There are well known, well documented and not uncommon deficiencies in their manufacturing process. Simple stuff like holes not lining up. It does not seem sensible to not correct a known fault. Whatever small cost to bring up QC could be tacked on to the selling price and pay dividends in customer satisfaction and pride of ownership. Plus the savings of NOT having to repair defective product. I have owned this 92 for only 3 months. It was out for repairs for over a month. It has been to the range three times and not once has it come back from the range without a problem. No doubt I have voided the remaining warranty by having non Rossi repairs performed. But, with a little luck, it will now be reliable now. I really like the weight, balance, caliber and accuracy of this 92. I just wish it could have been a little less aggravating :!: Attached is the repair order and its pesky barrel forcing cone.
The 'costs' of bringing up the Quality Control at the manufacturing plant 'could be tacked on to the price of the gun' BUT as you mention the dividends of actually making the product correctly in the first place would MORE THAN PAY FOR THE PRODUCTION UPGRADES OUTRIGHT!

1) With the way certain fasteners are forced through holes that don't line up there HAS to be a certain percentage of rework and outright scrap at the factory. Manufacture those parts to spec and you eliminate almost ALL of that scrap, make the guns SERVICABLE without creating a situation where mere disassembly can require returning them to the manufacturer and enhance the reputation of the weapon and the manufacturer.

2) Better parts deburring at the factory would cost some time and effort either manually or more likely through the use of a tumbler/polisher with ceramic media. Quite frankly they should already HAVE such machines on site and in use. The additional cost could be as little as changing out the media because it might be worn out, running the machines enough to actually do what they are supposed to do to OR as much as installing additional machines to run the parts more than once with different sizes of media. Doing this BEFORE heat treatment would result in parts that were not sharp enough to cut potential buyers and owners/users of the weapons. It SHOULD result in guns that don't have to be taken apart and polished by the owner which should result in a smoother action PLUS less chance of polishing off the micro thick surface hardening that the manufacture claims can be done by the owner's removing the burrs thus resulting in better durability and a longer lasting longer wearing gun. AGAIN INSTANT Reputation enhancement to the brand and the model.

3) Standardized and interchangeable parts. We are 250 years past Jean-Baptiste Vaquette de Gribeauval and 200 years past Eli Whitney. We KNOW how to do this. THIS might require re-blueprinting and refiguring the tolerance requirements and that's potentially the most difficult and potentially expensive of all these suggestions IMO but it should solve #1 above and a host of other problems at the same time.

4) Spares availability. IF the above items were taken care of that'd probably drop the requirements for spares both internally and externally by as much as half. There would STILL be a market for the ejector parts, the extractors, firing pins, screws and assembly pins.

5) Continued feedback from customer returns and letters/e-mails/phone calls to the company through customer service or whatever being fed back into the manufacturing process and parts upgrades and redesign. IF most of the returns for a specific model are because of X find out a way to improve X preferable without changing anything else or with minor associated parts changes (springs/pins easily replaced and exchanged items.) Simple but significant improvements to new production and preferably able to be retrofitted to at least the guns produced after any re-blueprinting.

6) Process standardization and control. Making sure the suppliers or your internal processes are done correctly. Heat treatment done to spec. Materials are what they are supposed to be. Appropriate tool and machine maintenance followed. Cutters, polishing media, cooling/cutting/lubricating fluids meet requirements and are changed out at appropriate intervals. People who are preforming tasks are trained to do things right and know what to do when something isn't going correctly.

As you mention, not having to deal with the returns on guns that were just sold should pay for most of the above by itself. The potential enhancement to the brand reputation would mean more guns sought after and sold.
Caribouriver

Post by Caribouriver »

Well Archer, you make six concise, doable, sensible and rational points. If Rossi adopted them, they would have a better product with a better reputation with better sales and better customer loyalty. As it is now, would I ever buy another Rossi? From my own experience, I doubt it. Would I recommend Rossi? Gee, I doubt that too. I know some people that have Rossi rifles and never had an iota of trouble. It's really a bummer there are so many lemons because the price point that Rossi comes in at makes lever actions attractive. A fraction of Winchester or Marlin. Levers are cool. I agree that they could easily put out a better product, have happy customers, brand loyalty, more profit and a warranty repair department that collects dust.