Barrel play and a missing part

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Barrel play and a missing part

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings and welcome to the forum. This is a first as AK noted! We have had a number of rifles reported with the sights canted slightly and it sounds if the previous owner took matters into his own hands and loosened the barrel. The others have given sound advice in seeking the assistance of a local gunsmith. I would not shoot the rifle until it is repaired to a knowledgeable smith's satisfaction.
Michael
adger

Post by adger »

Thanks again for the responses guys. And thanks for the warm welcome!

I worked with the 92 a while longer last night, but just can't get around the fact that the barrel is a degree away from being snug, and it's something that's out of my league. I was very exited to try this rifle out this weekend, but you guys have universally indicated that it's in an unsafe condition to fire, so I'm going with that. I've sent an email off to a gunsmith contact I have, but haven't worked with yet. I'm hoping he'll be able to clear this one up. I'll post updates as they come!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

It is possible that instead of turning the barrel a full turn it might just be possible to shim it but either way it is a problem for a gunsmith who knows what they are doing.

I'd be tempted to turn the gun into a takedown model if I was having to mill turn the barrel down.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Honestly, I think I'd just send that back to the factory for a re-barrel.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sarge wrote:Honestly, I think I'd just send that back to the factory for a re-barrel.
I suspect the rifle is over a year old so he would be liable for shipping and the cost of parts and repairs. Waiting for the barrel could be a killer. xshot has been waiting for a magazine cap for his 454 Casull since he purchased it, I believe that has been 6 to 7 months now. From his last report a couple of days ago, which was on TaurusArmed.net, they are waiting for a similar rifle to be returned for warranty, it be deemed salvageable, and then they will send him that cap. That is just doing business in NeverNeverLand. I don't understand this! RossiUSA has no parts and apparently no hope in receiving any! From the work seen here on the forum, I do not think the warranty guys are gunsmiths, just repairmen, that should be considered as well.
Michael
adger

Post by adger »

At this point I really consider sending back to Rossi USA my last resort. I don't know how old this rifle actually is, so I'm not thinking it's under warranty anymore. Either way, if the turn around time is half a year or more, I'd much rather just eat the cost to get it fixed sooner locally. If the barrel or receiver are trashed for some reason, I imagine I'd have no choice but to send it in. My gunsmith will charge $30 to check it all out, so I'm hoping I can get that done in the next few days. I'll let you all know how that turns out. Hopefully my next update will be a range report!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Actually is the warranty even valid for the first year if it is a second owner?
There's a lot of items out there with lifetime warranties that are only good to the first buyer/owner.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

A gunsmith ain't gonna fix it for free, either. I suspect the manufacturer knows as much about their product as anyone out there, but if they made them right in the first place this would be a moot discussion.
adger

Post by adger »

From Rossi USA's site:
How long does coverage last?
This policy is in effect for one year from the date of original purchase.

What will we do?
BrazTech will service and/or repair all covered products free of charge.

What does this warranty not cover?
This warranty does not cover grips, sights, accessories, or cosmetic defects after one year, or damage caused by customer abuse at any time. This express limited warranty is the only warranty on this product. This product is sold as is and has no implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. There are no warranties which extend beyond the description on the face hereof.
I really don't have a realistic way do determine the original date of purchase. This rifle was on consignment at a shop in a different state that was hard to get responses from during the purchase process. I don't hold out any hope that they'd be of any help.

The other part is the "damage caused by customer abuse at any time". I'd have no leverage here either. It could have been caused by the previous owner, during shipping... who knows. Unfortunately I don't think I have any traction as far as the warranty goes.

Whether it's through Rossi or a local gunsmith, I'm gonna eat some cost on this one I believe. Unfortunate, but I really like this gun. I'm just gonna have to jump through a couple more hoops before I get to enjoy it.
Conman

Post by Conman »

However...........an email to Taurus USA doesn't cost anything. Just explain the issue and ask what they might be able to do for you...........good luck