Barrel play and a missing part

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
adger

Barrel play and a missing part

Post by adger »

Hi everyone!

I'm a proud new owner of an R92 in .357, as of just a couple hours ago. It's used but in great shape. I've got a couple of problems, as the title suggests. I love this gun so far and can't wait to try it out this weekend, but would like to try to get the issues sorted out.

First and most important, the barrel. It and the foregrip have a small amount of play side to side - it seems like it may be loose in the receiver somehow. I haven't taken the rifle down yet, and I'm not yet entirely familiar with the inner workings. I've tried searching around on here and didn't see anyone else with this issue, so I'd like to tap your collective wisdom. How can I fix this? I have the octagon barrel in 24".

The other thing is the missing part. It looks like there's supposed to be a stepped insert under the rear sight to adjust elevation... I don't have that. Is this a generic-ish part or should I contact Rossi?

I appreciate any input on this! Thanks guys.
knifemaker

Re: Barrel play and a missing part

Post by knifemaker »

#1 Are you sure it is the barrel that has play in it, or is it just the wood forearm and maybe the magazine tube that is below the barrel. Sometimes you will run across a loose forearm and or magazine tube that may need to be refitted to clean up the slop.
It is almost never you hear of a barrel that is loose, and if that is the case, DO NOT SHOOT THE GUN, AS IT COULD BE DANGEROUS. If it is a loose barrel, rifle will need to be returned to Rossi for repair. If it is only the wood forearm or mag tube that is easy to fix if you know how. If you do not, find someone that does know and you can learn from them how to use epoxy to fix a loose forearm and if it is the tube, you may need to remove the forend cap and forearm and check the screw for proper adjustment. If you do not have someone to help you, your choice on using a gunsmith or sending it back to ROSSi:cry:

As for the rear sight, it appears you are missing the rear sight elvator and that part can be found just about anywhere that will fit your gun.
adger

Post by adger »

Thanks for the reply!

You weren't kidding about the sight elevator... not even 10 minutes after I posted, I pulled one off of my first gun, an old Daisy pellet gun. Fit like it was meant to be!

It is indeed the barrel that can move a bit. It's very slight, only barely perceptible. With the fore grip retainer out of the way, it was a bit more noticeable. The barrel can be rotated about 1mm without much effort. How is the barrel attached to the receiver? Threaded in, press fit, or other means?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Do not shot it with the barrel not being set! Call Rossi get it returned and fixed i hope you have not payed alot or try n return it. As this is a first for rossi 92's .I suspect it is previous owner that has somthing to do with the problem. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

adger

I applaud you for discovering the secret fix for the Rossi rear sight elevator. I intentionally replaced the elevator on mine with one from a Daisy after the first range trip. As for the barrel movement, if in fact it is barrel movement, you have a serious condition going that could be seriously dangerous.

I have no idea what, if anything, Rossi will do .... and it probably won't be "cheap", unless you could prove beyond a doubt that it was a serious factory defect - then, being an international thing it probably wouldn't fly in your favor anyway. I'd check with Rossi first though, then if an alternative is necessary, and the cost could be justified, I'd be talking to a real gun smith about a repair, or building and fitting a new barrel. Or, I could be that something as simple as a little work on the face of the receiver with the addition of a crush washer could do the trick. But, I'm not a gun smith, nor do I play one of TV.

I hope you can get satisfaction how ever it pans out.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
adger

Post by adger »

Unfortunately I don't know much about the previous owner... I picked up this 92 on a gunbroker auction, from Hawaii (no signs of rust anywhere, I checked). It wasn't exactly a steal either... between the shipping, FFL and whatnot I basically ended up at what a new one would have cost before tax, if I could find one. I'm really hoping I don't have to send it in to Rossi - I'd really like to shoot within the next few months! If it comes down to it, I think I'll try to have it smithed locally. Bigtime bummer though.

I'll keep you guys posted one way or the other. Gonna try to take it down a bit further to see if I can't figure out whats going on with this poor thing. Thanks so much for the help.

And JD - happy I found the secret fix! Honestly I've been hard pressed for a reason to hang on to the old Daisy. 12-year old me fixed some cracked plastic with duct tape, and it's missing other parts. Puts a smile on my face that it's given me one last hurrah.
adger

Post by adger »

Also, interesting side-note - I noticed that the stamped serial number has an obviously appended "X". If anyone knows what that means, I'd love to know.
adger

Post by adger »

Well, I've made some progress.

I removed the mag tube and fore stock. With all that off, I found that the threaded barrel unscrewed easily. I gather it's not supposed to be this way. So, might this just be a matter of tightening it back up? When I snug the barrel back into place, the top flat of the barrel and sights look level with the receiver.

*EDIT* Scratch that. After snugging the barrel down suitable, the flat and sights are noticably off left, and obviously won't go back together right.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea more than likly somone tried to turn barrel because of crooked sights and caused this. Just a guess. Either way it will need a good smith to set it and verify headspace and function
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
knifemaker

Post by knifemaker »

You will need the services of a gunsmith to correct the problem. The gunsmith will have to put the barrel in a lathe and turn enough metal off to rotate the barrel just short of one full turn so when it is snugged up tight the sights will be centered and level. He will also have to re-chamber the barrel for correct headspace. i doubt Rossi will repair the gun for free as they will say that the previous owner made alterations to the gun, which may be the case and he dumped his problem on you. :cry: