2 new 92's bought in Mar, 1 sent back for repair

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
jcrow

2 new 92's bought in Mar, 1 sent back for repair

Post by jcrow »

Bought two stainless 16" 92's in Mar 2014. One is flawless, shoots 38 and 357's of factory ammo. Different grains tried. The other is tough to get 357 to chamber. It got better with cleaning and shooting, but had to be cycled at lightning speed to chamber a round on occasion. It does like 110 grain 357 hollow points most of the time with fast cycling. It does not like any 357 heavier than 110 grain regardless of federal, Winchester, Remington or PMC ammo I tried. Customer service Opened a work order over the phone and E-mailed a fedex shipping label promptly. Shipped on the 3rd of April and they received the rifle on the 8th via tracking # research. So far, they have been very friendly and eager to take care of the problem. I will update the final results. Glad We bought two, I did not want to ship the rifle away for weeks unknown. The good one is a great and fun shooter.
Hope the other will be.
Last edited by jcrow on 17 Apr 2014 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 2 new 92's bought in Mar, 1 sent back for repair

Post by akuser47 »

Sorry to hear keep us posted to your outcome. Details as to what they do should be on a work order from their smith as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

With the volume of returns we see here on this small forum, I wonder just how many rifle are returned and whether they are making any money on these things once the cost of Customer Service is thrown in?
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Ranch Dog wrote:With the volume of returns we see here on this small forum, I wonder just how many rifle are returned and whether they are making any money on these things once the cost of Customer Service is thrown in?

I'm not defending Rossi here, but y'all do recognize the fact that a large number of folks that join gun forums of all flavors do so in search of answers to "issues". A large percentage of those may only make 2-3 posts and either find the solution to the problem or just vent their (rightfully earned in many cases) frustration and move on. Since word of the Rossi Rifleman forum has spread, many more folks are logging in, with a large percentage of those being "issue related". It would be very interesting to know the true return numbers or failure rate of Rossi firearms, but I don't think it can be fairly deduced from stats derived from web sites. On one particular forum I participated on several years ago one would have thought that the "brand" was doomed to failure any day due to the number of issue related users joining and voicing their concerns. The manufacturer took notice and had one of their own representatives join and (very) occasionally post a response concerning "known issues", and give the occasional update on how certain known issues were going to be addressed and corrected. They also made known (on the web site) the percentages of actual new gun returns (as well as offering free "small part" replacements via mail).

Rossi could help themselves greatly by openly addressing the concerns of their USA market ... soon.

Just my opinion.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well said JD!
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Rossi could help themselves greatly by openly addressing the concerns of their USA market ... soon.
KEY items IMO.

The spares policy over rides everything else. Being able to change out an extractor, ejector, firing pin, any of the screws or springs and any pins is absolutely necessary. Without waiting a month for the parts and without sending the firearm back to the importer.
Other parts would be nice but I expect those would take care of 80% of problems. (I'd include the mag follower but there are after market options that are probably better than the OEM.)

Either Rossi needs to put a little effort into deburring parts and removing knife edges during the manufacturing and assembly process or they need to stop being shocked that the customers are going to do it for them. If the parts are only micron surface hardened and letting the customer polish things up is a problem then that deburring and polishing MUST be part of the manufacturing process. Everyone on this site has probably cut themselves on some of the Rossi CNCed or MIM parts and that goes double for any youngsters, women or novice shooters you hand a stock Rossi 92 to at the range for the first time.

Likewise customer disassembly and reassembly of the firearms must be expected by Rossi, especially as long as the guns arrive covered inside and out with bunker c. Telling a customer their warranty is void because they were taking the firearm apart to remove the sludge in the mag tube or under the cartridge lifter is like saying 'the warranty is only good as long as the firearm is still in the possession of Rossi USA once the firearm is shipped to a distributer, dealer or actually handled by a live human the warranty expires'.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Exactly right, Archer!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
jcrow

Post by jcrow »

I received yesterday APR 16th. On the original post I stated I shipped the rifle 3 March 2014, mistake, it was 3 April 2014. I was able to track the process on the factory website from when they received it to when it was repaired and then shipped. I called them and they provided a tracking number. Took the rifle out and shot factory 357 110, 125 and 158 grain no problems. Then factory 38 specials no problems. Happy Happy Happy! The work order stated the feed ramp was damaged and adjusted. The Recoil rod was damaged and replaced. I did not remove or disassemble either of those parts so who knows what happened. The work order also noted 15 rounds of Winchester 357 Mag 158 GR HP and 15 rounds of Winchester 38 Special 110 GR FMJ were tested. I am pleased with the courteous and rapid turn around on the factory service. Also, they paid for all the shipping. I wonder if the Dealer I bought this from, unknowingly received this as a returned rifle from a distributor. Those part failures seem premature to me.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the follow up and it sounds like good news. I wonder what the heck a "recoil rod" is?
Michael