New RG4570 -- Some problems

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
jh2oman

New RG4570 -- Some problems

Post by jh2oman »

Just joined today -- see my hello in new members. The new RG4570 is in the basement being worked on. Took off the butt pad to remove the white line spacer and to re-center the pad and found the screw holes in the butt were stripped. The pilot holes had not been drilled deep enough, so they stripped before the pad was snugged. Fixing with plastic wood.
But a bigger problem -- the plastic magazine follower jams tightly about halfway to 1/4 from the top. I thought maybe crushing from the barrel band, but this is above the band. Trying to sand the follower to a smaller diameter. I see aftermarket followers are available -- planning on calling them, but does anybody have a dia. measurement of what the are?

JW
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 28 Apr 2014 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved to "Rossi Customer Service Experiences" forum
jh2oman

Re: New RG4570 -- Some problems

Post by jh2oman »

Well, I thought about the follower & mag. tube problem. If the follower is too tight in the top of the tube, and then is sized to be loose there, it will be too small to stay in at the shoulder where the tube goes into the receiver. Taking it back to the store.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that you took it back this is too late but did you check the magazine tube for packing grease?
Michael
jh2oman

Post by jh2oman »

Yep, pulled the spring, follower stuck halfway. Slid a live round in from the loading port to slam the follower out. Typical crud as described came out, but with a tight cleaning patch I can feel the restrictions in the tube -- it's the metal, not grease or chunks. No damage or malformation on the OD of the tube. Really bummed.
jh2oman

Post by jh2oman »

New York State law mandates no returns on retail firearm sales, so now I wait for my RG4570 to be fixed & returned. I was mad, and ready to swear off getting another Rossi, and getting a Marlin. But the decision was made for me, and now chomping at the bit to get the gun returned. Although unfired, it did handle nice, and the Marlin guide gun have stocks like 2 x 4's and cost $100 more. I feel like a kid who sent in my cereal box tops, not knowing when I'll get my prize. Store said 4 to 12 weeks!

JW
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've seen lots of no returns at lots of places across the nation.
I think ammo has been that way any where I've spent any time.
Guns at least half the places and maybe more. Usually the shop will try hard to work something out with the manufacturer if something is wrong but once you bought it and take it out of the shop it tends to be yours.
jh2oman

Post by jh2oman »

I got my .45-70 back today. A 4 week turn around. According to the paperwork they replaced the magazine tube. I didn't ask them to repair the stripped buttpad holes -- longer screws took care of the problem. The wood sure is porous and un-sealed. I drizzled Danish oil into the endgrain of the butt prior to putting the pad back on, and will apply it to the rest of the wood later. Now it's a bit late on Sunday and I want to relax, but I don't think I can wait for a trip to the range next week. I just might have to go shoot after work one day. Oh -- I don't have a trigger pull gage, but the suitcase scale I have says it's 3# -- quite nice.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the report back!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good to hear thanks for the update.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jh2oman

Post by jh2oman »

My excitement was a bit short lived. I'd cleaned the action earlier, and fixed the butt pad as described. I re-lubed the sliding parts of the action and cycled it maybe 60 or 70 times -- it just kept getting better. I'd noticed the repair shop had buggered up the magazine cap screw, but I was happy to have the gun back. As I was getting ready to put it into the safe, the light was just right as it shown into the muzzle -- they either over-tightened the magazine cap screw so hard, or as a result of impact in shipping, made the end of the screw pop a chunk of metal right out of the bore in the middle of one of the grooves. I could poke into it with a toothpick. I'm depressed. I really like the handling of this gun, but I've yet to fire a live round.
So, she's on her way back to Miami for either a new barrel or replacement.