New '92 locked up after six rounds fired

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: New '92 locked up after six rounds fired

Post by mr surveyor »

I hope you're pleasantly surprised with a two week turn around
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

Me, too! Me, too, brother! :D
Non Carborundum est Illegitimae Nothus!
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

Tomorrow is May 1, and Rossi/Taurus USA (Taurus now owns Rossi) will have had my '92 for exactly 30 days. Two weeks yet to go (roughly) on the projected six week turnaround, and I am beginning to get antsy.

The Taurus USA website has a page wherein the gun owner can enter his/her gun serial number and personal zip code, and symbols will appear offering some idea of where the gun is in the "repair status" process. Mine has been stuck on the "repair in process" symbol now for about four weeks. I did just notice that when I click on that symbol, the subtitle changes to "firearm under review". Maybe this is progress?

Oh, well! I hope for a great shooting gun back in my hands forthwith! Will keep progress updated on this thread. :|

wdwrkr51
Last edited by wdwrkr51 on 01 May 2014 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Well good wishes for you. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

UPDATE ON WARRANTY REPAIR PROCESS TO DATE: Today is Tuesday, May 13, and RossiUSA/Brastech/Taurus has had my R92 for exactly 42 days. I was told to expect a six week turnaround on the repairs to my .38/.357 caliber 16" '92, so I just called the Customer Service telephone number. I worked my way through the auto-answering menu, and spoke to a very nice young lady at Rossi. She took my serial number, verified my contact information, and then politely put me on hold while she checked on the status of my carbine.

After a one to two minute wait, she came back on the line, and told me they had been unable to find anything wrong with my rifle. (I assume the bumping and shaking during transport from Northeast Atlanta to Miami had shifted the mechanism around enough to unlock the action, just as happened the first time it jammed on me at the firing range.) She reported that the repair person had test fired 20 158 grain FMJ Winchester .357 rounds AND 20 130 grain FMJ Winchester .357 rounds without a hitch.

The repair department reportedly had suggested that I had somehow engaged the little hammer blocking allen-head screw on the hammer, intended as a safety device for storage of the firearm. I stated that this did not happen, as I was at the range test-firing the gun for the very first time. (Why would I have gotten out the little key-ring sized allen wrench and screwed in the little screw far enough to block the hammer? And just how would this result in the lever action jamming after opening the bolt about ½ inch?)

I described again verbally just how the gun had jammed, how I had managed to remove the fired cartridge casing from the chamber after several minutes of shaking and bumping, and how it had jammed again without opening far enough to move a live cartridge from the magazine to the chamber. She made a note of my comments for reference to the repair department.

She then asked me if I wanted Rossi to return my carbine, or to send it back to the repair department for one more examination. I simply said that I just wanted my firearm working reliably when I received it back. I reported again that Rossi had had my gun in hand for the full six weeks at this point, it had been fired a total of six times before jamming twice, and had been a brand-new gun fresh out of the box when I received it. I just wanted it to work as it should when I received it again.

She made a note in capital letters in my file (so she said) stating "DO NOT RETURN FIREARM TO THE CUSTOMER UNTIL IT IS WORKING CORRECTLY" and indicated that it would probably go back for one more review before returning to me.

The customer service representative had been unfailingly positive and polite through all this exchange, as had I. I did think (at this point) that perhaps a gentle word of fair warning was in order, so I quietly reported that I had reviewed this firearm on the Rossi Rifleman Forum when I received it. At that time I had nothing but positive comments to make. I also had begun documenting this repair process on the forum when I sent the gun in for repair, and had made no negative comments to date.

I stated that I would be documenting today's contact (positively) on this forum, and also documenting the ultimate results when my gun was returned to me. I heard her typing on the computer as I spoke, and I am sure a note of my factual statements also went into the customer service file. Who knows? Maybe a more careful examination of the R92 will result. Maybe my gun will be returned to me without a protracted delay.

The customer service representative apologized for my disappointment at the malfunction of a brand-new Rossi firearm, and stated that Rossi wanted me to be fully satisfied with my gun when it was returned. She thanked me for calling in. That ended our fifteen minute exchange.

I have no negative criticism for today's contact with Rossi Customer Service. I am disappointed that NOTHING was found to be wrong with my carbine, and I do hope whatever the issue was, it has worked itself out, or Rossi has worked it out, when my gun is returned.

I'll keep the readers of this thread informed.

- wdwrkr51
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the report and sorry to hear that the rifle is still vacationing in Florida.
Michael
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

Thanks, Ranchdog. My rossi should have a very nice tan when I get it back! :D
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

donhuff wrote:Never had that problem with the four 92' that I own. BUT, I'm one of those kinda guys that soon as I get home with a new one, I take it down to the last nut and bolt to clean, deburr, and polish, everything that moves. Then I relube, and cycle it 500 to 1000 times. Clean and relube again. Then check to see how it will function with ammo, then finally I get around to shooting it.... Well, I did that with the last three, I learned HOW to do it with the first one.

There's any number of moving parts in there that might be causing it to jam. Hard to say what it might be without having it in my hands.

Sooo, I'm guessing that those were 38+P rounds?

Yep there is a big difference between a good cleaning (vs) deburring and polishing contact points.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

wdwrkr51 wrote:Thanks, Ranchdog. My rossi should have a very nice tan when I get it back! :D
What I don't get is why the rifle just sat there until you established contact. Savage did the exact same thing with my 10FCM. Based on my exprience, do rate RossiUSA's service hands down the winner over Savage.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Well I'm glad their CS staff are polite and helpful I can only eat my popcorn and await the end of this story hoping for ther happy end of this tale. PS I hope your rossi has sexy tan lines I love that on tanned girls :lol: +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!