New '92 locked up after six rounds fired

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
wdwrkr51

Re: New '92 locked up after six rounds fired

Post by wdwrkr51 »

Well, I've got some good news and some good news. I got a call from Rossi tonight. I believe I talked with a person in the repair department, not the customer service department. The gentleman calling me was much more knowledgeable about the Rossi model R92, and what can go wrong with this firearm, than the previous person I spoke with.

After further examination and review, he/they did decide the "little grub screw" on the left side (the same one mentioned in other posts as a possible cause of my problem) had backed out/screwed in a couple of turns too many. Evidently this can cause the action to lock up if the rifle is held at certain angles while working the lever. After adjusting this screw and blue loctiting it into place, they fired thirty-two rounds (each?) of .38 special and .357 magnum without any problems whatsoever. The action has been thoroughly examined and adjusted, and seems to be working perfectly.

He apologized for the frustration of having a brand-new firearm malfunction like this one did, and for the delay in identifying the cause of my problem. He then promised to return my carbine to me forthwith.

I am relieved that SOMETHING was found to be out of adjustment, leading to my lockup problem, because that can be fixed easily. I am also glad they agreed that I had a real issue, not an imaginary one....... :)

Finally, I am glad to know that my new R92 will be back in my hands very soon, and I can get back to sighting it in! I'll check in here and let you-all know when my rifle arrives; and how it shoots, when I can get to the range to try it out.

:D

-wdwrkr51
Non Carborundum est Illegitimae Nothus!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

well, that may not be an acceptable reason (due to poor craftsmanship of the hardware), but a totally believable explanation of the issue. I wonder why, instead of using locktite on a screw than needs to be removed for thorough cleaning, didn't they just install a screw that actually fit the purpose?

Whatever, I hope it gets back to you soon and in perfect working order.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

Well, my patience is wearing thin. My last/only contact from Rossi was a full ten days ago and I was told at that time that the minor problem had been found, corrected, the gun had been tested, and I should be getting it back shortly. Rossi has had this '92 since April 1, and notified me as of April 2 that it was in their hands. I called to check on it after six weeks with no contact (May 13). At that time I was told no problem with my gun had been found. May 22, the tech did call me to report a solution was in hand. Ten more days with no word. Today, June 3, I finally called Rossi and asked for a report.

After a four minute wait on hold, I did get to talk to someone in customer service. He checked on my records and found that my carbine was ready to be shipped, BUT Rossi was in the middle of inventory. No firearms or parts could be shipped until inventory was completed, which should be sometime tomorrow. After that, my firearm should be shipped. I asked to be contacted if there were any further delay, and listed the dates relative to this marathon. I mentioned my frustration with the lack of communication from Rossi. He apologized, and said again that my firearm should be shipping shortly.

I know customer service does not directly control this process, but somebody, somewhere within this company does. SOMEBODY at Rossi needs to be looking into problems relative to repairs under warranty and the lack of communication to the customer. I am considering trying to find the President's email address or telephone number. Anybody out there (on this forum) got any contact information for me?

I'll let you know what transpires. :evil:
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

My 357 carbine locked up as well but I was lucky enough to stumble on the screw and took a bit off of it with my Dremel...sometimes you just get lucky!
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

thanks for your comment. A newbie like me wouldn't know about making that adjustment - or better yet, checking it right out of the box, before firing. Wish I had known.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Well i truely hope it is fixed and in your hands soon keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
AJMD429

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm betting it was the screw as well, but my luck (or lack of talent) I would try to 'fix' that, then wind up messing up something else in the process and voiding my warranty. (Don't ask how I know THAT... :oops: )

One other thought is that 38 Specials and 357 Magnums don't always feed equally well from a given levergun.

Finally, it would seem not that difficult for a repair facility to issue weekly e-mail status updates, as an item moves through inventory/repair. With FedEx or UPS we can track the shipment home almost mile-by-mile...
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

Hey, y'all know how Rossi and Taurus have a "repair status" page on their website, showing four icons: firearm "received", "under evaluation", "repair completed" and "shipping"? Well, after more than two months with my firearm stuck on "under evaluation", this morning my firearm was moved to "repair completed" status! Woo-hoo! SOME evidence of progress, at least, on Rossi's part. Wonder how much longer to reach "shipping" status for a warranty repair involving no more than the adjusting of a little screw?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

AAAND this morning, the Rossi website shows my firearm has shipped via fedex. I've had no email from the shipping company, but maybe the package has been turned over to fedex for shipping....... +guns