New '92 locked up after six rounds fired

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
wdwrkr51

New '92 locked up after six rounds fired

Post by wdwrkr51 »

Hey, guys:

I hesitate to write this after being so forthcoming on how nicely my new '92 (.38-357) seemed to function during my in-store evaluation with live ammo (and afterward, at my home). Still, in the name of full disclosure and maybe even receiving some encouraging information, here I am.

The long version of my experience is this: I tested the function of my new '92 in-store and at home several times, using Remington 125 grain SJHP +P ammunition. All seemed to be well, as the rifle loaded, moved the ammunition into battery, and ejected without a hitch. I waited to test-fire for over a week while I got around to a good cleaning job, and refinishing the stock with several coats of truoil. I tested the function again after re-assembling the gun, and all seemed to be well.

I took the rifle to my local shooting range, loaded 'er up with the Remington +P ammo previously described, and proceeded to fire. No problem. Until I hit round number six. Then the gun action locked up. The lever would move, the bolt would open about ½ - ¾ of an inch, and that was it.

I removed the magazine tube end plug, spring and new metal follower, and dumped out the remaining live rounds. Then I gently bumped the action with the heel of my hand several times, and attempted to work the lever again several times, and something seemed to give. The gun action opened and the empty shell ejected.

I worked the action several times, and all seemed to be well. I reassembled the magazine tube with follower, spring and end cap. Then I reloaded with three or four rounds, and started to cycle the action again. Instant Jam, just like before. Nothing I did this time seemed to help the situation. The '92 seemed to be well and thoroughly jammed up! :cry: Fortunately, there was no round in the chamber, and all I had to do was remove the live ammo through the mag tube just like before.

Naturally, I wanted my local gunsmith to wave his magic wand over my new rifle and produce an instant fix, but he strongly suggested that I take advantage of my new Rossi 1 year warranty and send it in to Miami so they could correct the problem free of charge.

FYI: the Rossi website is a bit misleading about what procedure to follow in this situation, so I will offer this information on behalf of any newbies, like myself, who might find themselves in this unhappy situation.

CALL THE ROSSI CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER FIRST!

They were reasonably quick to answer the phone, very polite, and as helpful as could be. They issued me a free FED-EX shipping label via e-mail and told me to carry the carefully packaged unloaded rifle to my nearest Fed-Ex shipping pickup point. The process took about fifteen minutes, overall, including time on hold once or twice while they communicated with Fed-Ex and whomever else. They assured me that the rifle would be fixed to my satisfaction, and told me the turn-around time at present was four to six weeks.

Newbies: Go ahead and send in the little (yellow) warranty registration card as soon as you get home with your new Rossi firearm. Don't wait, and maybe forget to do so, like me. Rossi gave me no trouble over this, but still, I found it and sent it in the day before shipping my Rossi off for repair.

I also downloaded and completed the "work order" form from the factory website, and included a copy of it inside the box with my rifle, along with a letter describing my experience. The Rossi representative on the phone did not ask that I do this, but the website says it must be done. Ergo, I did it. That little OCD thing again, right?

Anybody else had this problem? Any ideas as to what caused it? I never disassembled any part of my new '92, other than the magazine tube, so it definitely has something to do with factory issues. I hope the shortened magazine spring and after-market metal ammo follower don't become the excuse for charging me for repairs.

I plan to document this process pretty carefully, and I will report what I learn on this topic thread as things develop.

wdwrkr51
Last edited by wdwrkr51 on 13 May 2014 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Non Carborundum est Illegitimae Nothus!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: New '92 locked up after six rounds fired

Post by donhuff »

Never had that problem with the four 92' that I own. BUT, I'm one of those kinda guys that soon as I get home with a new one, I take it down to the last nut and bolt to clean, deburr, and polish, everything that moves. Then I relube, and cycle it 500 to 1000 times. Clean and relube again. Then check to see how it will function with ammo, then finally I get around to shooting it.... Well, I did that with the last three, I learned HOW to do it with the first one.

There's any number of moving parts in there that might be causing it to jam. Hard to say what it might be without having it in my hands.

Sooo, I'm guessing that those were 38+P rounds?
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
LRP

Post by LRP »

the first thing I would check when that happens is take the little grub screw out over the lever bolt pin. I saw one where the hole was not centered in the rail and the factory had rough grinded a flat spot to let the bolt slide past. the screw was not tight and if the screw was turned just a bit in or out , it would lock the bolt. this is to late for this rossi but it might help someone else.
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

Yes, DonHuff, as stated in my post, they were Remington 125 grain SJHP +P rounds, which ought to give near full .357 performance out of the 16" barrel. I read somewhere that the 1 in 30" twist on the barrel was just about ideal for the 125 grain bullet, so that is what I tried. I can't do the full disassembly/deburr/polish/lube and reassemble routine on my '92 yet. This is my first lever action, and I don't know how yet. Maybe after I've had it for a year or two.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Well keep us posted, the hung up action seems to happen from loose or over tightnened screws. Keep us posted to your results with rossi C.S. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I don't recall seeing a warranty card in the boxes of either of my 92s.
Bglenn

Post by Bglenn »

Check out Gunshot's post "50 cent action job" and look to the last page at the reply I posted. Sounds to me that screw over the lever pin hole on the LH side of the receiver could be the culprit.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

LRP wrote:the first thing I would check when that happens is take the little grub screw out over the lever bolt pin. I saw one where the hole was not centered in the rail and the factory had rough grinded a flat spot to let the bolt slide past. the screw was not tight and if the screw was turned just a bit in or out , it would lock the bolt. this is to late for this rossi but it might help someone else.
Bglenn wrote:Check out Gunshot's post "50 cent action job" and look to the last page at the reply I posted. Sounds to me that screw over the lever pin hole on the LH side of the receiver could be the culprit.
I agree with these assessments.

In that the rifle has been sent to Rossi and that wdwrkr51 has offered his experience with the return, I'm going to move this topic to the "Rossi Customer Service Experiences" forum. Hopefully he will add his comments about the return when the rifle comes back to roost.
Michael
xdsd

Post by xdsd »

This sounds very similar to the problem I had with my 92 in .38/.357 which I described in a previous thread, but in my case it seemed to happen at random times. It would shoot consistently for a while and then lock up to where the bolt would only move back about a half inch. Initially I thought that I hadn't lubed it sufficiently, so I started dumping more lube into the action. This seemed to help a little, but it would still lock up - the difference was that it would free up with just a few jiggles of the lever; earlier it would take a major effort to get it to loosen up.

I recently got it back from warranty repair (for a broken ejector - I didn't mention the locking up) and have since had a couple of trips to the range to check it out. On the first trip it shot well but was very stiff, with the stock ejector spring. When I got home I took it apart, did the usual cleanup. When I took the bolt out I noticed that the ejector spring didn't fall off the ejector when it came out - it seemed to be binding to the ejector shaft due to some accumulated sludge. I cleaned that off and put in Steve's ejector spring.

When reassembling I had a lot of trouble inserting the lever and locking bolts into the bolt. This had always been one of the easiest parts of putting it back together, so I was getting very frustrated. I think they sent back a different bolt. It's not a new one, but the wear marks don't seem to be as I remember them. And the clearance where the cam of the lever goes into the bolt is extremely tight. I sanded it down a bit and eventually got it back in.

On my next trip to the range everything worked - the action was smooth and easy, all 60 or 70 rounds cycled well, and not one lockup. I think the problem I had with the action locking up must have been related to something with my original bolt. When they had it in the shop they realized there was an issue there and swapped it out with another. The tightness I experienced putting it back together will work itself out over time, but it's great to know that I'm done with the locking up problem. I'm sure they will take care of your 92 as well, and you can get down to some serious shooting.
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

OK: progress to date:

I received a pre-paid shipping label from customer service at RossiUSA via the internet in a matter of minutes, after communicating with a very nice representative over the telephone. All shipping would cost me was a bit of my time, as I used the original box the firearm came in., plus some extra cardboard I had on hand for reinforcement.

As instructed, I ferried the '92 to FedEx on Thursday, March 27, arriving too late for the last pickup of the day. I did receive acknowledgment of my shipment from FedEx via email. The rifle went out on Friday, March 28, and I tracked it to Miami via the FedEx website over the next few days. It arrived at the Taurus/Rossi/Braztech facility about 11:15 a.m. on Tuesday, April 1, 2014.

I received acknowledgment of receipt of my firearm from Warranty Repair, at TaurusUSA, about 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 2, 2014 by email. The note stated the expected period for repairs at six weeks, and I was provided with two numbers for contact should I need to relate more information to them. It also said that I could check on the progress of the work via the internet at their website, under "repair status".

Nothing to do now but wait. Will keep interested readers updated as this process moves along.