Buggered 92 Dovetails

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
rockat

Buggered 92 Dovetails

Post by rockat »

The rear sight is the worst. You can actually see some metal that has been forced out of the dovetail on the left hand side.

You can even see underneath the dovetail!

The front sight isn't too bad. But still not acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm definitely returning it. Slightly disappointing because, apart from the sights and cracked stock, it cycles very nicely. I haven't fired it, but I cycled some rounds through it and it was nice and smooth.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 04 Apr 2013 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: These posts where split out of the Braztech Rossi 92 pre-purchase inspection checklist topic in the 92 forum.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Buggered 92 Dovetails

Post by pricedo »

OBSERVATION: In regards to dovetailing which removes metal from pressure bearing areas in 2 places I noticed that my 2 x Browning BLRs which are designed to host cartridges generating 65K+ psi do NOT have dovetail slots cut into the barrels.
Instead the front & back sights are machined to fit the curved contour of the barrels (something that Rossi would never do).

Hacking chunks of metal out of pressure bearing areas for dovetails didn't matter much in the black powder era when most of the Winchester leverguns were designed because chamber pressure rarely rose above 25K psi.
That's why some older pre-smokeless powder rifles have such long barrels in order to get maximum velocity out of very heavy albeit low pressure black powder loads.
Longer barrels increased bullet dwell time (or more precisely dwell distance) in the bore and maximized acquired velocity from big charges of slow burning black powder.
You'll notice in the 92s that the metal under the front dovetail is very thin.
Luckily chamber pressure is not at its peak when the bullet has reached the section of bore under the front sight during discharge where the metal thickness is thinnest.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA