Super Short Range

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
GasGuzzler

Super Short Range

Post by GasGuzzler »

I read about it a lot. Please explain why people shoot 25 yd groups with a rifle then measure the group.

25 yds? Throw a rock or use a gut gun.

I find it odd.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Super Short Range

Post by GRV01 »

For awhile it was my only option as the indoor range i shot at maxed at 20yds then i found a great outdoor range, shot there once at 100yds and loved it but then i had to move :(

Still looking for a nice one where im at now but theyre far (70miles one way!)

So thats my excuse, i didnt choose 25yds but it was all i had
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It probably is the only available distance they can shoot. I've gotten my initial shots with any proposed loads are at 25-yards, if the bullet holes don't touch each other, they are not worth pursuing any further. I also use 25-yards to adjust the windage, the left vs. right POI, with a freshly bore sighted rifle. I do not buy into the 25-yard sight in for other ranges at all.
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Yup, 25 yards is a good starter range after bore sighting. After zeroing at whatever, I like to take a few short shots (7-10 yards) to see where it hits. If the scope is sitting high off the barrel, the results can be surprising, and that's good information to have in the field.
desertrider

Post by desertrider »

I like to verify that my carbine (me, really) can keep the shots within a six inch spread at 20~25 yds. I don't pull out the calipers and measure shot placement, but small dessert sized paper plate groupings are my goal.

Why? In addition to my nightstand handgun, I keep a carbine handy for nighttime critters of the two and four legged variety. The handgun is for in the house (0~7 yds), but if I have to step out the backdoor (10~25 yds), that longer sight radius gives these tired old eyes more reassurance at longer distances.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

If I can throw a two seam fastball five times and hit the same spot from a certain distance then I’m too close to shoot a rifle. Just me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.