Range time

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Range time

Post by Archer »

Hit the range this week after work with a coworker.
Took too many guns but got to the 92 .357 Rossi for a couple mags at 50 yards followed by some time on the pistol range. When we arrived the pistol range was in use by a couple guys but they vacated pretty quick and left us some brass lying around as bonus. About the time we were getting ready to leave as the sun was maybe 30 minutes from rolling into the horizon another shooter showed up for some trigger time of his own on the pistol range.

When we moved over to the pistol range we went over the stuff I brought but limited our actual shooting to the following:
Springfield Champion .45 ACP (Commander/4" 1911) Early 'loaded' configuration.
Springfield XD .45 ACP 'Tactical' 5"
Smith & Wesson 5904 9mm
CZ-75B 9mm
Ruger GP100 .357
We had a good time. It was supposed to give my bud a chance to try out a few things.

On the pistol range I was most comfortable with the Champion and the 9s but got good results with the Ruger and ok results with the XD if not quite what I'd have liked with that pistol. I think I need to practice with it a little more. My bud liked the XD the best, he was noticeably anticipating his shots at least some of the time and worked on trying not to pull them.

With the Rossi he was all over a 12x12 sighting in target. I had a pretty good group running about 6" above the point of aim. Not as tight as I'd have liked but around 3" or so with several shots much tighter.
I did notice that feeding through the gate had a tendency to hang a little. I guess I need to make time to take it down and knock some of the knife edges off some of the parts around the loading gate and the mag tube entrance and ensure it's deburred internally. I think my bud's 'group' opened up mostly because he's pretty much a novice and not used to focusing on a point target with iron sights and maintaining the same sight picture. He was surprised at how light the gun was and expected it to kick more and be uncomfortable due to the shape of the buttplate. He mentioned being surprised how comfortable it was to shoot and he didn't notice much difference between the .357 Magnums and the .38 SP. I found that interesting since I've had exactly the opposite reaction from several other shooters and I can surely tell the difference.

All in all a good day but in the future I'm thinking probably no more than 3 to 4 weapons on the range at a time.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Range time

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds like a good time. Looking forward to some range time over the next three or four days.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I love a good range day.I also love my full size Kimberly 1911 its so accurate and natural to point. I really should start ccwing her again. I like my glocks to, but I am nowhere as accurate with any striker fired gun like I am with almost any hammer fired gun. Looks like your buddy got to tastes alot of variations always best when unsure what you may like.+guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm trying to take a newb or two to the range each month or two.

There are a lot of guys at work who need to sign up for the range membership.

I need to make sure I spend some time working on MY skill sets. We've got a couple new folks who used to train others in LEO or military organizations. Hopefully they can transfer some of their knowledge without turning into basic fundaments.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I'm glad your expanding gun love in California. 2a needs more love there.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!