Condo Weekend update

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Condo Weekend update

Post by Moon Tree »

I'm heading to the cabin this weekend for our annual "Condo Weekend". Condo Weekend is the 2nd weekend in January. This will be our 35th Condo. All 4 founding members will be in attendance, plus 4 of their sons, a young guy, whose only attended the 20 Condo's and a new guy. Ten of us in all. We'll be doing a shooting competition including clay pigeons, centerfire pistols, and .22 cal. rifles. The winner of each of these events and the person with the highest overall score will advance to the finals. The finals will be .22 cal handguns at 7 yards shooting a Valentine suckers. The winner receives the cash prize from the $5 entry fee.

To keep from getting bored this weekend, I'll set up an 8" gong at around 125 yards across the hollow from the cabin porch. It might take me several attempts, but I intend to ring that gong with my 20" barrel Rossi .357.

Also, my new Icotech game caller came in the mail yesterday. So, a coyote hunt will be on the agenda.

For more info on our Condo Weekend follow this link:
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... do+weekend

I'll post pictures next week.
Last edited by Moon Tree on 18 Jan 2017 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
GasGuzzler

Re: Condo Weekend again

Post by GasGuzzler »

Moon Tree wrote:To keep from getting bored this weekend, I'll set up an 8" gong at around 125 yards across the hollow from the cabin porch. It might take me several attempts, but I intend to ring that gong with my 20" barrel Rossi .357.
You can do this. +guns +corn
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds like a great time!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Awesome, be safe
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Condo weekend was a great time as always. It's such a treat to spend a weekend with old friends, some that I only get to see once a year. Add a friendly shooting competition and great food, who could ask for a better way to spend a weekend? The rainy weather didn't dampen our spirits or cool down the shooting.

The first round was a redneck skeet shoot. We shot from 4 stations: 1 beside the thrower (imitating flushing quail), 1 left and 1 right, in front of the thrower (imitating crossing dove). The 4th was in front of the thrower (imitating dove coming in from behind, overhead.) Jack won this round. For some reason, I suck in this event.

The next round was centerfire handguns at 7 yards. The first target was a stationary clay pigeon. Second, side view of a clay pigeon. Third, a mini clay pigeon. Forth was a quarter. Then came the swinging target which is an 8"x 12" foam sheet with an upper person torso drawn on it with circle targets at the heart and head. Scoring: hits in the torso=5 point, heart=10 points, head=20 points. The distance was 25 feet. To make it more interesting, there was another 8 x 12 foam sheet swinging from the opposite direction in front of the target. This sheet represented a hostage. If you hit the hostage, you lose 5 points. Last year I finished 2nd behind Jack, a Nashville police officer. That was my highest finish ever in this event. I told Jack, then, that my goal was to beat him in pistol shoot. All my practice with my 6 1/2" BH .357 paid off. I clear the clay pigeons and the quarter, and I had the highest score on the swinging target. This was my first time winning this event. Three years ago, I finish next to last. For those interested, I was shooting a Lee 158 RFN on top of 5.7 grains of HP-38. Both my Ruger and my Rossi love this load as plinker.

Next up, the .22 cal rifle shoot at 25 feet. This is another swinging target. The front obstacle is a wooden silhouette of turkey. Hit the turkey and you lose 5 points. Usually, the target is a squirrel, but when I pulled out my folder of paper squirrel target, I counted the sheets to make sure we had enough. But, no all the sheets were squirrel targets. So, we used standard 25 ft pistol targets. Jack's son, Jake, who's also a police officer shot 37 out of a possible 50--five shot score. I shot 38. The second round, Jake scored 39, but he hit the turkey incurring a 5 point penalty. I shot another 38, winning this event for the 5th year. Had Jake not hit the turkey, we might still be shooting. POINT OF INTEREST: Jake was shooting a Browning lever action and I was shooting a Henry lever gun.

The championship round is rimfire handguns at 25 feet. This year's targets were heart shaped sucker about the size of half dollars. Traditionally, the winners from each of the other shoots advance to the finals, along with the next highest position shooter. I threw a wrench into the plans by winning 2 rounds. That had never happened before. I told Brian, the host, that if I had to shoot against myself, there would be no way I could win. haha So, the next 2 highest finishers were brought up to the finals.

The finalist were: Jack, Jake, Daniel (Brian's son) and I. I shot with my Grandfather's S&W .22 mag. It served me well squirrel hunting this year. And, I like the idea of using Pappy's revolver. The first bracket was Jake and I. We both shot our 5 shots without hitting a sucker. Geeze how hard can this be? We've shot smaller target before in the finals. I'm blaming the poor shooting on the cloudy afternoon. I know I was struggling to see my front sight. We move to sudden death. We both miss the 6th shot. I'm shooting first and bust a sucker on the 7th shot. Jake missed.

Daniel blisters the second bracket by busting 4 suckers in a row.

The finals competed me against Daniel. I hit my first 3 suckers winning the title and the money pot. It was my first championship win.

Later that evening, Daniel and I met again as the last 2 standing in a Texas Hold'em poker game. On the flop I had 2 pairs and went all-in. Daniel matched me. Who goes all-in on an inside straight possibility? Daniel pocketed a extra $100 while I lost $20 of my winnings. IT WAS A GREAT WEEKEND.

Sorry I don't have pics of rifle shoot. I was busy being the range officer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
GSB4243

Re: Condo Weekend update

Post by GSB4243 »

Looks like an awesome time. I'm jealous!
Oh... Good shooting and congrats on your championship!