Range day yesterday

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Range day yesterday

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Spent a few hours yesterday at the local ODNR range. Didn't feel like chasing brass so I took my Number 1 in 270, my S&W 15-22 and my Commie Carbine (M44). The 270's scope had gotten knocked out of line from a spill the rifle and I took sneaking up up on a ground hog so I wanted it sighted back in and managed to get it there even though I think there may be a problem with the windage adjustment as I don't feel "clicks" when I move it although it did stay on windage through about 20 rounds fired for effect after I got it hitting back where it had been. Tried some CCI minimags in the 15-22. At 50 yards they were an inch and a half to 2 inches high as compared to standard velocity stuff. Ran 50 rounds of 60s vintage Rumanian 7.62x54R through the m44. With the PAST recoil shield on the beast is actually fairly pleasant to shoot and all 50 rounds stayed on a 12" bull. It left the arsenal in 1948 so I'm happy, 68 year old rifle, 50 or so year old ammo and 72 year old eyes couple hours of fun in the fresh air :D .

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Range day yesterday

Post by akuser47 »

Sounds like a good day I wish I had bought more m44's when they were 50 bucks now a horrible condition m44 sell for 300 n up. Glad you got a good one,my 91/30 does great but I always liked the folding spike on the carbine m44.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good to hear you were out shooting! This is where Texas really has dropped the ball, our Parks & Wildlife Department provides absolutely no resources for shooting. In fact, it is against the law to discharge a firearm on State lands other than for the legal pursuit of identified species during an open season.

All the National Forest & Grasslands in Texas have become State lands because the State manages them as Wildlife Management Areas and have just done the same with all the National Wildlife Refuges except one hold out.

I figure that all this is happening in preparation for succession :shock:
Michael
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

One of the reasons I got into shooting when I retired to SC, was the Pickens county SCDNR range. My husband discovered it and brought me to see it. The Lt. who staffs it, handed us ear plugs and invited us to explore.
It has a handgun range, rifle range, shotgun range with free use of clay throwing machines (BYO clays), archery range, and dove hunting fields.
All facilities are free for all users, and if you leave your drivers license with the Lt. in the office, you get free use of shooting aids, like lead-sled rifle rests and spotting scopes.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

zippy wrote:One of the reasons I got into shooting when I retired to SC, was the Pickens county SCDNR range. My husband discovered it and brought me to see it. The Lt. who staffs it, handed us ear plugs and invited us to explore.
It has a handgun range, rifle range, shotgun range with free use of clay throwing machines (BYO clays), archery range, and dove hunting fields.
All facilities are free for all users, and if you leave your drivers license with the Lt. in the office, you get free use of shooting aids, like lead-sled rifle rests and spotting scopes.
This is really awesome.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yes, truly awesome. Our deal here on the state ranges that are supervised is $5/day or a $25 annual pass. That gets you a bench and target backers. No auxiliary equipment. Local range has pistol rile, shotgun and archery with no charge to use the shotgun or archery. Covered range head with sturdy benches, 10, 25, 50 and 100 yards. Range improvements are scheduled sometime in the next year or so to include a new access road and at least 2 lanes out to 200 yards. The current road is fairly steep and it doesn't take much snow to close the range as clearing isn't a high priority. The RSOs are great and all in all a safe and pleasant place to shoot.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Pretty much the same for the one in Pauline SC except no dove fields. Two rifle ranges, one with a max
of 100 yards, the other 200 yards. Handgun range is 25 yards. Two archery lanes that I have never seen
used. Recently added "stands" for the clay shooters. No admission fee and the goodies, rests, spotting
scope, etc. are first come first served. Bring your own target stand for the rifle ranges, they furnish the
ones for the handgun range. Usually have paper targets on hand with a three per shooter limit, most
bring their own.

The RO whom I consider a friend is retiring the first of Dec. I already told him he will be hard to replace.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns