Sighting In The Vortex Scout Scope

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
normAK

Re: Sighting In The Vortex Scout Scope

Post by normAK »

it's the Rossi brand rail :cry:

I guess I'll order the NOE rail and pitch the Rossi rail in the trash.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Make a sculpture out of it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

It is common with a Rossi rail, also the scope could have a defect but no worries if it does vortex is 100% top notch and will replace it or fix it. Please keep us posted to your new results once you have the NOE rail. Also be sure to use some blue Loctite on the mounting screws for it.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

normAK wrote:what scope mount/ rings did you use? I have the Vortex Scout Scope on the rossi brand mount with burris signiture medium rings and I cant bring the point of impact up to the bullseye. I'm out of scope adjustment range, shooting 5 inches low at 25 yards even after using the +20 elevation adjustment sleeve for the burris rings. :(

I finally gave up and droped my rifle off with my gunsmith to see what kind of magic he can work on it.
I'm going to make a crazy guess and say that you have the Rossi Single Shot base for the top break series (#P801)) and not the Rossi R92 base (#892). The R92 has a tapered barrel, and the R92 base is tapered to fit the barrel. The Single Shot base is flat, so when mounted, it would follow the taper of the barrel and put the bullets in the dirt. You might save yourself some money by passing this info to that gunsmith. Rossi has not made a 92 base for several years now, NOE is the way to go as the others have noted. They have a banner ad at the bottom of the page.
Michael
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

RD is right on !
The base is an original #892.
The rings are Weavers, Skeleton Mount, 1" Medium, 4 Hole Caps.
P/N 48360 I believe and still holding firm !
And Harry is right, the bell is really close to the ejection port !

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

First time out in 2017

As a buddy pointed out ... pretty good shooting for an old guy, Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
normAK

Post by normAK »

I'm pretty sure I have the right base, it's thicker at the back than it is toward the front so that when it is mounted on the barrel it is flat across the top instead of pointing down like it would if it followed the taper.

I put the rail on a couple of years ago and had no problems at all using it with a red dot. Last fall I bought a Vortex scout scope (almost all my glass is Vortex, with the exception of a Swarovski my dad gave me) and immediately noticed it was shooting far too low. I sold that scope to a guy who is quite happy with it on his 308 scout rifle, and I went back to using the red dot. But then, after my gunsmith told me about the Burris Signature rings that allowed for elevation adjustment, I bought the Burris rings, the shim kit for the rings,and another Vortex scout scope and tried again.

After using the largest shim (20mm) the rifle no longer shot 12 inches low at 25 yards, it was only 5 inches low at that distance. Still.... not acceptable. I sent the gunsmith the link to the NOE rail and we will be giving that one a try soon!
normAK

Post by normAK »

Well the NOE base works great, it took about eight shots to sight in my 454. I am very happy with the Vortex scope now.I have a feeling I will be using it late May early June, to knock over a black bear.
9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

You'll finish out this very satisfying thread with pics of your rifle and the bear, won't you??!!!
Congrats on the whole process.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

normAK wrote:Well the NOE base works great, it took about eight shots to sight in my 454. I am very happy with the Vortex scope now.I have a feeling I will be using it late May early June, to knock over a black bear.
Good to hear, looking forward to the report.
Michael