Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp version

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp version

Post by Moon Tree »

I picked up my new Ruger today. I can not be more pleased with this little revolver. You can't ask for more from a 2 1/2" barrel. This was probably my 8th cylinder ( 5 shots per cylinder). We had to get to know one another. I bought her dinner then we went out for drinks and dancing. By the end of the day we had connected. I think this is going to be a long term relationship. And, Schuy doesn't seem too jealous. So all is good.

These were shot with my 158 gr cast bullet over 5 grains of HP-38. That is a 46 score. Range 7 yards. No special optics were used, just my normal glasses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Moon Tree on 17 Jun 2016 00:02, edited 2 times in total.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp version

Post by Moon Tree »

GRIN
That's a wooden mock up of the SP101 that I'll be using to make a holster for it. SMILE gotta have some with you all. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I gotta try that with my M88.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ruger's gotten pretty proud of their revolvers recently.
Not perhaps without reason but they are starting to be as or more expensive as the Smiths.
A buddy of mine got the 3" SP101 recently and it's a nice little package.
It smoothed out after some cleaning and snap cappage.

I want one of the LCR .357s and wouldn't mind a couple single actions and a SP but I've got other things higher on the list.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

The 3" da/sa SP101 has been my daily companion for almost 6 years now. It's a 1993 model I bought "like new" from a guy I used to hang out with at one of our (now gone) local gun shops. That revolver and my old 1997 Kimber would be the last handguns I would part with, short of death, and if my wife and running buddies have any say so, one of them is liable to slip the SP into my pine box before the lid gets nailed shut.

jd

oh, did I mention I love my SP101 ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I shot the SP101 with some factory Remington HTP 180. They had a jar to them. With the nerve damage is my right shoulder/arm/hand, they were right at the top end of my pain threshold. The Lee 158 grain rfn on top of 5 grains of HP-38 is very comfortable to shoot. I have some Remington SJHP 158 grains bullets that I'll be working up a defense load for. I've like the ballistic gel posts I've seen on UTube with that bullet. Although, back in the day when the .357 mag was the king in Law Enforcement, the 125 grain JSP was legendary as a "bad guy" stopper.

New gun, new loads, new fun. :)
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Moon, I've put several of those .357 Lee 158 gr rnfp's with HP38 and Unique through my SP101, but a whole lot more of them loaded with A2400 or AA#9. I do like the "light loads" at the range though. I had been without a .357 mag for several years and was carrying "disposable quality" .38's for my daily field gun when I ran across the deal on the SP101. I wasn't reloading at the time so I picked up one box of Fed A.E. to try the gun out at the range before making it my daily field gun. Fortunately I was short on range time that day and only had time to shoot half the box ... but I was seriously in love. A very good friend had been trying to coax me into taking up reloading for several years and at Sunday School the next morning we discussed a very simple "start-up" kit. That afternoon he gave me 100 new pieces of Starline brass, and that night I ordered a Lee Loader, scale, micrometer, powder scoops and other basics. The next Saturday I was shooting my own loads and have never put another factory round through that SP101, except for the remainder of that first box of Fed (I needed the brass ;) ), and a few factory defense rounds.

So, I blame my SP101 for luring me into the reloading addiction for all of my current firearms.

jd

(yes, I think I did mention that I love my SP101)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I think a lot of 'legendary' loads may have been just that when it is all said and done...
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

jd, thanks for the story. I think as shooters, we all have the "little" moments that escalate into life long passions.

I've use Accurate #9 in my Blackhawk as hunting loads. The HP-38 loads where target loads for BH. It's seems to love them. I'm pleased the little sp101 likes them, also. Oh, and my Rossi 20" barrel loves that loads. Three firearms that like the same load. I'd call that a "winner, winner, chicken dinner" :) Now wouldn't it be like hitting the lottery if my 158 grain SJHP's or XTP's could double as hunting and SD loads and all 3 firearms love them. No way that's going to happen but a guy can dream.

OK, back to reality. I think the 158 grain SJHP's or the XTP's might be a freckle light for deer hunting penetrations. And them loaded to "hunting" velocities of 1700 fsp from the Rossi, will be a bit tough on the hand out of the 2 1/4" barrel SP101. So, I'll be looking at 180 Remingon SJHP or XTP's for deer hunting this fall and something less than MAX loads for the Sp101.

I need to get reloading and shooting. November is only 5 months away. :)
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Go with SJFP 158s instead of the hollows maybe?