skinner sight on Rossi M92

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
sheepherder

skinner sight on Rossi M92

Post by sheepherder »

I put a SS peep sight on the .45lc Rossi rifle I have acquired. The factory front sight seems too high for me to sight it in past 25 yards. Does anyone have a Skinner barrel peep on their Rossie? If so what is the height of the front sight and what range did you zero it at?

The rifle is good at 25 yards, but I want to be able to zero at 70 yards so I need a shorter sight, question is where to start with respect to height.
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

Re: skinner sight on Rossi M92

Post by Steve-R »

Maybe if you give Skinner a call they can tell you which sight is needed. They list some for specific make and model on their web sight.
sheepherder

Post by sheepherder »

yes and no with respect to asking Skinner. They usually will not say as "all" rifles are different. They did say the factory Rossi sight should/might work.

It does, but not for long range zeros.

I do agree with Skinner, data from people who have experience with different height sights is the way to start as the height for 70 yards will likely involve a standard height and then some file work.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

You can calculate the adjustment by similar triangles. The baseline of the first triangle is the distance from the muzzle to the target. In your case this 70 yards = 210 ft = 2520 inches. The baseline of the second triangle is the distance from the back of the rear sight to the back of the front sight. Let's say that this is 12 inches. Your front sight is high, so let's also say that you're shooting 3 inches low at 70 yards. 3 is to 2520 as X is to 12. 3/2520 = X/12, therefore X = (3 x 12) / 2520 = .014 inch. That's how much you need to lower the front sight to bring the point of impact back to zero. If you choose to file your front sight, do it slowly and take some test shots before you get all the way there. It's hard to put metal filings back in place.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

That's what I was going to say.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
sheepherder

Post by sheepherder »

HA, Thanks for the advice and formula.

A perfect example of the purpose and the value of the forum.

Experience/knowledge trumps all - and a chance to use math.